banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Klon Centaur Copies - What Do You Like and Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klon Centaur Copies - What Do You Like and Why?

Klon Centaur clones (say that 3 times fast). What are your favorites? Why? What are you using them for?
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Re: Klon Centaur Copies - What Do You Like and Why?

I've only got the Soul Food at the moment. It's a Klone-lite IMO. It does some of the stuff a good Klone should, but it's just not the same. I plan on replacing it with either a Wampler Tumnus or a JRAD Archer this summer. I've never played the Tumnus, but I did get a chance to play the Archer a few months back and really liked the tone and the feel through a '68 Custom Princeton. Very responsive and very smooth. The Soul Food isn't as smooth, though it is still very responsive. The Soul Food is a great pedal for the price, and is a good starting point for someone who wants to try a Klon type circuit. Someone on this forum (can't remember who) said a while back that they thought it was a "gateway Klone," and I totally agree.

I currently use the Soul Food to push my new amp. My new amp is a 20w 6v6 amp, kinda tweed-ish in the way it breaks up. I set it pretty hot most of the time and use the Soul Food to kinda kick it in the teeth. With my Super Sonic Twin, I really only use it in front of the Burn channel to get a fat, Warren Haynes kinda tone. He uses a Klon in front of most of his amps, and the Soul Food can get the Burn channel on my Twin into that range pretty easily.
    Go Packers!

Comment

My Piedmont Custom Electronics Aluminum Falcon II is the only Klon(ish) pedal I have owned. I use it to guard the other pedals in the rather large container of pedals in my closet.

I used it for an always on boost that really opened up my amp and made it sound and feel alive. It also cleans up better than any other OD I have used. The only reason it is resting is because I have scaled down to a smaller board and I just can't fit it into the available space. So now my Wampler Ecstasy has the OD duties and does a very good job.

The AF, though, combined with a fuzz, another OD, or a distortion box gives me the thickest tone and the most sustain with the least amount of apparent compression vs any other OD I've owned including the OCD and KOT.
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Rimrock Mythical Overdrive nails the Klon Centaur I owned years and years ago

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I had the chance to directly compare a Klon, Archer, Soul Food, and Tumnus. The Tumnus was my winner, the Archer was just as good, it's a toss up. When doing the direct A/B the Soul Food, which is not a bad sounding pedal, just fell totally flat. It didn't have the density in the midrange of the others. It was much smaller sounding.

I use it in front of tubes with the gain set kind of high. I don't use it as an "always on" or a clean boost. Some people like the buffer when it's off, personally I have it in a true bypass loop with a Lil Brute Drive, which does sound better with the Klon buffer after it. In other words I don't want the sound of the buffer permanently in my signal path, but if I open that loop I have the LIl Brute Drive on with the buffer, or only the Tumnus on.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
            Soul Food, which is not a bad sounding pedal, just fell totally flat. It didn't have the density in the midrange of the others. It was much smaller sounding.

Have you tried any of the modded Soul Foods, like the one JHS does?
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I have not, but it doesn't seem like an advantage. It's hardly a savings over the Archers and Tumnus, and you're still left with other things about the pedal that are still EHX. I'd rather take the purpose-built pedal. And after A/B'ing the Tumnus and Archer to the Klon, they were almost indistinguishable from the Klon. So I can't imagine that the mods make the Soul Food "even more Klonish" than one of those two.

Comment

If I do end up sending my Soul Food to JHS for modding, I think I'll have to look at is a totally different type of pedal. From what I've read, it seems like the modded SF can do the Klon thing better than the un-modded SF. They put two different type of clipping diodes in it, one of which is more accurate to the Klon and one which is not. It seems like a really versatile pedal after the mods! But in the long run, I think you are right on the money about it not being worth if you are going for a really true Klon sound. You'd be better off with an Archer/Tumnus or something else.
                Go Packers!

Comment

Could any of you guys please share a clip worthy of the "Klon" sound?

I honestly have no idea about this at all, despite reading about the Klon myth and hype for years. Just like the Dumble sound, whatever the **** that is.
                  Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                  Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                  Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                  Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Does this help?

There's not really one Klon(e) sound because some people use them as cleanish boosts, others as dirty boosts, some use them as the distorted tone into a clean amp, and the treble knob is very responsive.

Comment

It does help. Thanks Frank!

Not really what I aspire to (I'm a modern "Marshall toneprint" kind of guy, think of Mastodon) but there's some wonderful sounds there.
                      I'd love one of those for my recurrent Ritchie Blackmore benders.
                      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

The J Rockett Archer does a real good job. I didn't like the buffer however. I have a Keeley Oxblood which is an awesome pedal, but it's not really a clone, more Klonish.

Comment

They do sound very similar, but the mystique about these things goes right over my head. It sounds like good player & a great amp can get a sound really close to that. Certainly many players make them sound amazing, but there are lots of players without them who also sound amazing.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                            The J Rockett Archer does a real good job. I didn't like the buffer however. I have a Keeley Oxblood which is an awesome pedal, but it's not really a clone, more Klonish.
                            I've been fortunate enough to try this pedal and I was seriously impressed by it.
                            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                            Line 6 Helix
                            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                              I've been fortunate enough to try this pedal and I was seriously impressed by it.

The quote you said this about mentions two pedals...

Comment

Working...
                              X