New Palladium Gain Stage video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Palladium Gain Stage video

Freshly minted, we now have a little bit of the origin story...

Administrator of the SDUGF

Re: New Palladium Gain Stage video

Now that's a nice video, right there! I'd love to try one.
    Guitars:
    Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:
    Peavey MX VTX, Bugera 333x Infinium

Pedals:
    AMT SS-11B

Comment

Robben Ford had one on his pedal board last night along with a zendrive feeding his Dumble

pretty sweet tone from his SG and especially his tele
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Lucky you

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
          Lucky you
          Ditto!

Comment

I am running some tests on one as we speak. Amps were Randall & Fender Blues Deluxe using different guitars which had Brobucker, Eclair and Black Winter pickups (bridge ofcourse). It worked better with the Eclair pup. I am not thru with the tests yet so I can't tell you if I like it yet, but I can tell you the basics:

It pushes a lot of mids. You really get to tweak a lot on the knobs in search of your tone.

Pros; It has a great gain-noise ratio. It's one of the few pedals that sound good with a Fender Blues Deluxe (most distortion pedals sound fizzy in that amp). It has a boost.

Cons; Hefty price. The boost can't be selected by itself (you must be using the ditortion too). I wish it had a touch more gain without having to use the boost (whish is pre-gain).

Suggestions to Duncan; For a Palladium II put a switch which allows you to put the boost either as pre or post gain. Let the boost be selected by itself where you "cascade" it either infront or in the back of the gain section. If you want to be ridiculus add an FX loop.
            For a Mini Palladium take off the resonance, precense & boost options, just give us a touch more of gain with bass, semi parametric mids and treble knobs. That would do the job for us metal heads.

Comment

I haven't tried one (yet) but heard a lot of demos, and it produces way more gain than I would ever use. I like mids, too, so I think it would appeal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I haven't tried one (yet) but heard a lot of demos, and it produces way more gain than I would ever use. I like mids, too, so I think it would appeal to me.
                Ah yes! I didn't use all the gain myself, I just like it to be there and my Randall amp has more gain. I don't use it all (the Randall gain) either but I like the fact that it is there. Think of it as a bottle of scotch, you may only want to drink a pint but you like to see a big bottle there and keep some for tomorrow.

Yes the Palladium has plenty of gain, and very good gain.

Comment

I forgot to mention that when you cascade the boost-gain the noise level is kept at minimum and that it's a great tone giving you all the gain you could possibly need. I just think that it would be cooler if you had the option of putting it as a gain-boost also.

Comment

Eureka!!!

I beleive I have found the tone that is in my head. Well one of them. I was just using the wrong amps.

I put the Palladium into the return on my Ibanez TSA 15H Tube Screamer Head (guitar-Palladium-Amp FX return) and there I had it. It was a great tone to start with but there were plenty tweak ops. So I tweaked.

I got a creamy Erick Johnson type tone with enough gnarl to play Morbid Angel. The teeth of the distortion are close to each other (that's the best way I can describe it) and at full gain there was some nice compresion so with a bit of tweaking I got E Johnsons tone. But with more distortion. So I then added a touch of bite and there I was.

The way I felt the amp is that the only thing before the FX loop is the Tube Screamer so tomorrow I will try the Palladium straight in the front and go of to rehearse with it. This pedal gives the amp what it lacked; high gain and an EQ for the mids......now what it needs is a reverb.

Comment

Awesome! Can we hear it?

Comment

From the video I assumed (you know what that makes me) that is would serve as a DI rather than just another gain pedal in front of an amp.
                        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I believe I'll have one of these. That is very versatile.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitaraxz View Post
                            Think of it as a bottle of scotch, you may only want to drink a pint but you like to see a big bottle there and keep some for tomorrow.
                            Only a pint? Of SCOTCH? Is there something you should tell us?

The typo is great, though, as it sounds like your gain tastes keep in fashion with your modest drinking habits.

Seriously, though -- great recap/observations.
                            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I picked up a zendrive. I still don't sound like robin ford but dang, my big ballsy 5F6A Bassman goes from sweet clean to a nice pushed tight overdrive tone that sustains for years.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
                              X