X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strymon Mobius vs nova system

hi

i only use the clean channel

and on stage for rehearsals i don't want to spend time to have 4 cables to plug these units in the fx loop

so
    my question is

without fx loop, which of these units have the most beautiful sound for modulations in front of the amp?
    `
    and have you given up some analog pedals to have less pedals with these units?
    at home or for rehearsals

Re: Strymon Mobius vs nova system

I can't give you an exact answer to the info you seek.

But having owned a Nova System, G-System, and Nova Delay... TC Electronics has made some very good FX. But at the end of the day, there's something sterile and hi-fi to me in those boxes... despite them being very good. My limited experience with Strymon products is that they are very transparent, while at the same time being warm, lush, and musical.

Anyways... though I've always been about condensing my FX as much as possible.... this past couple of years I've learned that if I want to really make my FX work satisfactorily for me, seeking-out and buying my favorite pedals is more successful than the all-in-one solutions. I still have and use my Line 6 M9, because it sounds good and takes up not too much real estate on my gigging board. But all future FX acquisitions will likely be individual pedals of very good quality. I look to be adding several Strymon offerings in the coming months/years.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

I love my Mobius, but it does take a bit of tweaking. Most of the presets out of the box are very 'full on' and digital sounding, and it takes a little bit of playing with the mix and level settings on some of them before you get it sounding natural. The most brilliant thing that Strymon pedals do is how they have an analog dry-signal, but they are able to very naturally mix the sounds together at the output. (as opposed to the TC Electronic way of 'analog dry through' where often you end up hearing your dry sound with the processed sound floating above it. It doesn't feel as natural to me)

The pedal is best served by people who have some experience with the analog versions of the effects first: I couldn't for the life of me get a decent sound out of the phaser in it until I had a chance to play around with an Orange 90 and a PH-2 for a few hours. That experience made the difference for getting a more natural sound.

The Mobius is also chock-full of features that go above and beyond the standard multi-fx. The filter setting is magical, and allows you to get all sorts of auto-wah, synthey, bubbly effects. When playing live I have 6 presets set up, and 4 of them are various Filter sounds, I would justify owning the Mobius for the filter alone. The Quadrature is a freakish effect that goes between ring modulator, shooting stars, or you can set it up with an envelope filter and have phasers, vibes, trems or chorus sounds linked to your pick attack. Destroyer is a bit crusher with all kinds of filters and ways to destroy your signal fidelity, whether you want to sound like you're being played on an old record, or though an 8 bit NES file or even through a crappy megaphone.

I fully agree with Red Label on his last point, that a grand majority of players will be better served by buying high quality versions of their favourite effect types. If you need a multi-fx for gigging purposes then the Mobius is great, but the main audience that I would suggest it to are the experimentalists, the guys who look at it and go 'Hey it can do a 12 stage phaser with an uneven sine wave', and the ones who think they can make great use out of it's weirder tonal engines.
      Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
      I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
      Andrew - None

Comment

i had the m9 but the sounds were horrible
        i could not keep this box

Comment

Working...
        X