NPD: Attack of the Klone wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: Attack of the Klone wars

The Klon circuit must have reached critical mass in the SDUGF, as enough people have realized it's not all hype. Matt and others with the Archer, Scott and SuperPete with the Mythical Overdrive, Lazarus with his Aluminum Falcon, Lew with his KTR, VinceT with the Silver Pony l, GJ with the real deal for years and many with a Soul Food. Matt's thread was hilarious, as I knew mine was in the mail, only days away....

I've been digging the Philip Sayce tone lately (amongst a few others) and a big part of that is Klon into cranked Fender.

As you may have guessed from the PGS Saturday Night Special thread, I decided to dip my toe in the water...

Can't wait to try this out! Hopefully I can replace my trusty Fulldrive 2 with a combo of the Wampler Clarksdale and Archer Ikon, but we'll see!
    Last edited by PFDarkside; 05-05-2016, 07:16 AM.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: NPD: Attack of the Klone wars

I had one for a short while but for some reason, the buffer bothered me. Not so much the fact that it was buffered bypass but the buffer itself. It was pretty transparent but for whatever reason it didn't agree with me. I'm thinking that it was probably where I had the pedal in the chain. I usually switch the buffers on, on the ABY which sits at the end of the chain (only 5 or 6 pedals), before the longer run to the amp. Excellent klone though. I ended up with a Keeley Oxblood which can cop a pretty good klon, but it's not a klone. More sounds with more gain on tap. The Keeley Oxblood may be one of my favorite pedals but it's not the better pedal if one is looking for a true klone, the Archer excels there. I think you'll really like the Archer Ikon.
    '

Comment

Interesting observation on the buffer... I'm actually counting on it being a buffer near the beginning of the board, so we'll see!
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Interesting observation on the buffer... I'm actually counting on it being a buffer near the beginning of the board, so we'll see!
        Unlike a normal person, I like a little bit of cable loss beyond what I get from the guitar to the board. I didn't like the buffer first in the chain which is where I wanted the Archer Ikon. I probably could have gotten around it with a longer cable, (or a high loss cable) but that's a pain in the ass ...

Seeing how you want a buffer at the front on the chain, I think you'll be happy with the Ikon buffer.

Comment

Nice! I think you'll like this pedal. The Archer + a Screamer type pedal is a nice combo. I played mine with my MXR Custom Modified BA OD and it works really nice. I don't think I'll use it that way, just because I'm liking it by itself using my volume knob to control how much drive I want, but if I need to stack it before I get a KoT, I'll use the MXR.

There sure has been an upswing of Klone purchases around here lately. Honestly, I think it has a lot to do with the Soul Food. That gave a lot of people an entry level Klone to try and our turned a lot of people onto the Klon circuit. I know that's what happened to me.
          Go Packers!

Comment

Not Archer related, but I stacked my AF III into my always on, gain at 9, Wampler Ecstacy and the tones and sustain are glorious.

Edit: Wrong - it is the AF II into a Jeter Gold 45/100 distortion.
            Last edited by Lazarus1140; 05-05-2016, 07:58 PM.
            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

NPD: Attack of the Klone wars

The MO has a diode selector, so you get two tones. I'm not sure which one I've liked over the other but once set, done. I've not changed it.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

That's pretty cool Scott, the only difference between the silver and gold Archers are the diodes. The switchable diodes probably lets you dial it in a little more for your rig.

The Mythical Overdrive was on my short list, but the ridiculous sale on this pushed it in the lead.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Awesome, congrats.
                  What's the rest of our setup?
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

The main players for this rig are three Strats (SSL1/APS1 combo, underwound TS/Big Dipper style and Dimarzio Injectors), Tele with Texas Specials and Les Paul with Custom/59, the board below and a mid 70's Princeton Reverb.

Older Board pic:
                    (Velvet fuzz replaced by a Fuzz Face Mini, Archer & Clarksdale auditioning to replace the Fulldrive 2, and usually a wah and Univibe out front)

So far, the Archer is really sweet at both minimal breakup and boosting the amp. I'm still thinking the FD2 stacks better with the fuzz and the Archer than the Clarksdale... But as you can see there not enough real estate for that!
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Good choice with the SSL1; I have that in the bridge of my Strat; love it!
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I have the (discontinued) BYOC Silver Pony Klone and it's my main OD after my always-on Xotic SP compressor (set to sustain but not squash) and EP booster (at unity - just 'more' guitar's natural tone).

I use the Silver Pony with just enough gain to emulate break-up, then use its level to hit the front of the amp harder (my amp is a Whitney custom somewhere between a Vox AC15 and Marshall 1974X - and it's already on the verge of break-up).

With this set-up, the amount of pick dynamics I get is great, but I don't drop out of the mix when easing off and/or using the volume to ride the gain.

Of course, a couple of weeks back, I added an Earthquaker Devices Tone Reaper fuzz immediately after the Silver Pony and when I have them both on, the sound is just something very, very special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I like Klones, they sounds dope especially the good ones haha. hope you love your ikon!
                          Guitars: Kiesel Bolt Classic, Strandberg Boden Standard 7, Jackson DXMG (Japan) & Charvel Model 5.

Amps: Marshall 1959slp & Peavey 5150 (Block Letter)

Comment

Working...
                          X