What pedals do you need to sound "djenty"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What pedals do you need to sound "djenty"

First off you have to determine the core distortion djent of your sound. Are you going to rely on a pedal to produce the distortion drive or your amp? Then you workout the need for overdrive, noise gate and so on.
    I just got a new Palladium and that is my new high gain pedal. You can easily get too many pedals you do not need. Some prefer getting the amp to get the main dist level others prefer a good pedal. I'm a pedal maven myself and I run an unorthodox rig that probably would not suit some. I love a great high tube gain amp but the maintenance and tube costs much less the frustration of getting tubes bad right out of the box prompted me to try different things. Anyway you have to decide what the core of your tone is going to be and go from there.
    "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
    You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Gainstage View Post
      First off you have to determine the core distortion djent of your sound. Are you going to rely on a pedal to produce the distortion drive or your amp? Then you workout the need for overdrive, noise gate and so on.
      I just got a new Palladium and that is my new high gain pedal. You can easily get too many pedals you do not need. Some prefer getting the amp to get the main dist level others prefer a good pedal. I'm a pedal maven myself and I run an unorthodox rig that probably would not suit some. I love a great high tube gain amp but the maintenance and tube costs much less the frustration of getting tubes bad right out of the box prompted me to try different things. Anyway you have to decide what the core of your tone is going to be and go from there.
      If you're using a digital effect such as zoom G3X, how would you have your effects chained and what are they??

Sent from my XPERIA M2 using Tapatalk

Comment

If djent was around in early 2000's, digitech might have had a pedal out called djent, like their deathmetal,grunge pedals.

Anyways, pod x3 should cover it.

With a g3x, noise gate(zns?) into high gain preamp model(diezel?) into another noise gate(zns?) into reverb(plate). Settings as per taste.

Comment

Originally posted by arwanfarizi11 View Post
          If you're using a digital effect such as zoom G3X, how would you have your effects chained and what are they??

Sent from my XPERIA M2 using Tapatalk
          I do not have this unit and have no idea what is in it. If you are going to use modeling you have to step through every one of them to find the one that sounds the best. Going by a name such as a model of whatever does not mean much. I find various models I have access, a great many of them are not usable and many do not do well with any external pedals. Most good models I have used or used will do well with a drive or boost but if you cannot use anything external you have to figure out what the unit has that is usable. Forget names and hype, just pick the ones that sound best.

You can get some good tones out of most things these days if you tweak on it. Most digital model units I have used or own have a big problem with overt noise hiss from the digital platform. I worked with a HD POD for some time learning how to program it death. Noise was always a problem, turn off that gate and it sounds like a water fall.
          L6 tries to keep their levels down to keep the hiss problem under control. They pray you use the 4CM thing to hide the level problems and noise issues.
          When I was trying to use the effect loop in my HD unit with external pedals it was as much as -6db below unity accurately measured. Attempts at trying to boost the level and I tried some artful things merely increased the noise level in the process.

You also must be very careful in multi processor digital units to not use them as you would a chain of pedals, despite some of the pretty chain diagrams many have, it's a different animal.
          If you drive the next effect too hard even slightly above unity, the resulting digital clipping is very nasty. I find them exceedingly difficult to use, now if you're dinking around recording things using it you may never have much problem but try and design a good live rig sound and it becomes a different animal. If you have a POD and like it then have at it, who am I to tell you anything. All I can say is you could not give me one, been there done that. Helix might be a vast improvement but I am not willing to drop $1500 to really test it.

The effects in most processors are digital and I find any sort of front end digital drive or gain to be ear cringing. They tend to sound OK hitting the amp model but by themselves, arrggghh.
          I usually find if that is all you have to use then locate the best sounding cleaner boost or drive model to hit the amp model and make sure you do not over gain the amp model. Most user preset things are over blown with bad gain levels and choked to death with a noise gate. Try any user preset and shut the gate off, wow, really bad programming. Anyway, I always find a good player can make just about anything sound decent and a bad player anything can sound terrible.

Most amps sound better if you back the gain off a little and use a drive or clean boost to push it into more distortion. Most high gain uber amps are the same in this regard, do not crank the amp gain too much and use an OD or boost to push it into more dist and tighten it up.
          I have a pretty good 5150 model seems to be the better of most of the others, but it cannot complete w my pedals in gain structure. I usually find if I use a cleaner tube amp model and hit that with pedals it does the deal much better. Djent or whatever you wish to term it, is a matter of finding the right level of gain and response, then artful use of EQ to shape the sound better. I usually use my units post amp EQ and Global EQ to mimic the Mesa V curve notch at 750hz and boost on the low end and high end. It's a matter of ones ears really.
          Only thing I can truly recommend is walk through your rigs potential and try to discover the best it can do. If it does not do the deal for the direction you want to go, buying gear these days is pretty easy with vendors like zZounds, AMS, Sweetwater and others that offer no qual, no credit hassle monthly payments. You can always try something out to see if it does the deal for you, if not send it back. Big advice, save every packing material and bag, repackage as it came or you will be charged a restocking fee. You can easily get yourself some new gear zZounds offers 4 to 12 payments on many things using just a simple bank card.
          "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
          You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

Working...
          X