banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NPD: Joyo Dyna Compressor (that sort of compresses)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: Joyo Dyna Compressor (that sort of compresses)

I've been looking for something to give me a solo boost for the dirty channel of my ss Randall amp. I've been using an EQ pedal since the 1990s, bumping the midrange frequencies and the overall volume. It makes the signal fuller, with more compression and sustain. That's all I want. But after reading through this forum for a few weeks I thought maybe I could do better.
    So I went to my local music store to try out some pedals, specifically an overdrive or two, a clean boost or two, and a compressor or two. Overdrives did not do it for me AT ALL. Every one I tried just thinned out the signal and/or made it harsh to my ears. I want smooth and creamy sustain, not an ice pick. A couple of them actually lowered the apparent volume of my amp, probably because they cut lows and/or low mids.
    So then I tried five or six different clean boosts. The mini Spark came closest to what I was looking for, but it really just sounds a lot like my EQ pedal the way I have it set so I saw no reason to switch. (But if anyone wants a nice warm clean boost that doesn't make the bottom into total mush, I highly recommend that little sucker!)
    However, the shop did not have a single compressor in stock! Not one. The guy was visibly surprised when I asked to try a couple out.

So...I lurked around eBay for a while until I found a lightly used Joyo "Dyna Compressor" for $21 shipped. (The bright green one with a white scorpion stenciled on the top for no logical reason.) I chose it because it has separate sustain and attack controls, easy battery access, and it's cheap. I was hoping for a good volume boost along with a bit more sustain AND to knock down the "pweek pweek" sound I get from picking notes really hard with a lot of gain.
    Plugged it in last night, fired up my amp and...well...it doesn't really seem to compress much. But I messed around with the controls and found that if I peg the volume control full on AND the sustain control around 9 o'clock or so, I get a decent volume boost and a wee bit of compression. Best I can tell, the "attack" control doesn't seem to do much at all. If I did not know better I would swear this were a low-gain overdrive of some sort.
    That might seem like a total fail, but I'm actually quite happy with it as long as the feedback at stage volume isn't insane. It does give me just as much volume bump (or apparent volume bump) as the EQ pedal, but it is a little more full sounding and a little more fuzzy and does give me more sustain. Best of all, the notes fade into feedback in a pleasing way if you hang on long enough. And although it doesn't kill the pick noise, it does not emphasize it like the clean boosts all did. And the hiss isn't bad until you push the sustain knob closer to 10, although I do have a very good noise/signal ratio amp.

I may or may not try a "better" compressor.
    Any recommendations for something inexpensive or easy to find used that puts out a fair volume bump but might actually compress the signal more than this thing without creating a wall of hiss? Apparently trying them out locally is just not in the cards for me! The most important factor to me is the volume bump. Unity gain is not of interest to me. My goal is to bring up single notes to the level of a hard-hit chord, not to bring the chords down to the level of single notes.
    In the meantime I'd say it's $21 well spent and the worst case scenario is I end up not using it. If I keep it, I'm going to paint it, though, or at least try to get rid of the scorpion with some paint thinner!

Re: NPD: Joyo Dyna Compressor (that sort of compresses)

Are you using the 'boost' to simply make things louder, or drive the input stage of your amp?

For a solo boost on a dirty channel, I would consider trying the compressor in the effects loop (i.e. After the preamp) as that will make your dirty tone louder. If the compressor is before the preamp then it'll really be making your dirty tone dirtier rather than louder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have one of those and I wasn't overly impressed with it

Its ok
      its cheap
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The little green Fender Micro Compressor is relatively cheap, and sounds great! It might do what you want.
        Go Packers!

Comment

I have two compressor pedals and they are both great, for different reasons. The one that I think would suit your needs really well is the Bogner Harlow; it has a clean boost, a compression circuit that will take you from mildly squished to full-on opto-submission, a VERY useful tone control for loading up the compressor and either thicken or brighten your tone in very useful ways, and a Neve transformer on the input that adds a wonderful colouration to your tone -- it basically does exactly what you stated in your OP: level, sustain, and smoothness.

Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Dude, $225 is a pretty big jump from $21! I appreciate the reco but I am on a pretty tight budget.
            I believe I will spend some time on YouTube. There are so many options, but no way for me to audition any of them before buying.

Comment

There is a trim pot inside on the board, have you tried adjusting it yet? You will need to remove the board from the enclosure to access it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                There is a trim pot inside on the board, have you tried adjusting it yet? You will need to remove the board from the enclosure to access it.
                http://www.thegearpage.net/board/ind...sy-mod.1471040
                I just learned about that last night with a Google search. Have not had a chance to try it yet, but my hopes are high! Thank you for the link, Hank-
                (Which leads me to the question - why would pedal manufacturers basically HIDE an adjustment within the pedal?? They could at least have mounted it facing down so you could access it just by pulling the back off.)

Comment

It saves some time during assembly but its a stupid idea to have to remove the whole thing out to get to it. If you end up liking it then a small hole drilled on the enclosure near the knobs to access that trim pot might be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                    It saves some time during assembly but its a stupid idea to have to remove the whole thing out to get to it. If you end up liking it then a small hole drilled on the enclosure near the knobs to access that trim pot might be helpful.
                    That is my plan. Would be nice if the hole were there from the factory!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                      That is my plan. Would be nice if the hole were there from the factory!
                      But isn't it all part of the fun to tap a new hole occasionally? Why else would we be rock stars?
                      I strive to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Comment

Actually I really do love modifying things! (You should see my car.) "Because stock sucks."

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                          I just learned about that last night with a Google search. Have not had a chance to try it yet, but my hopes are high! Thank you for the link, Hank-
                          (Which leads me to the question - why would pedal manufacturers basically HIDE an adjustment within the pedal?? They could at least have mounted it facing down so you could access it just by pulling the back off.)
                          Because it's a $21 Joyo?

The Keeley 2-knob puts attack and trim on internal pots as well, but they are easily accessible, meant to dial in for your rig then never adjust. The 4-knob puts them on exterior knobs in case you want to change them.

The three knobs on the exterior actually make sense, you may want to adjust attack but leave the trim set for your guitars. Obviously it was put on the front of the board because it's a cheap pedal.

Hope it works out for you!
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I just did the hole on mine
                            It still kinda sux

Gritty blatty cuts out

Maybe I got the hole in the wrong spot
                            And twisted something other than the pot
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I did mine tonight as well. When it was back together I plugged it in and adjusted back and forth until I found the sweet spot. BIG jump in volume, but it is still a pretty lame compressor.
                              I'm using it the way most players use an overdrive, for a solo boost. It works, but I am back on eBay searching for a better one.

Comment

Working...
                              X