banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NPD: Joyo Dyna Compressor (that sort of compresses)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NPD: Joyo Dyna Compressor (that sort of compresses)

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    Unfortunately I was on a trip and didn't see these last two replies until yesterday. I've already bought an MXR Super Comp. I need to spend some more time playing with it to find my ideal settings but it seems to do what I want it to do. Same controls as the Joyo (output, attack, sustain) but it has more volume boost and WAY more compression on tap.

I do wish I understood why compressors get louder as you crank up the sustain, though. I've read quite a bit about how they work on the 'net and I would have guessed it would be the other way around? Both of these things hit maximum output with the sustain dimed. The difference is, the MXR still puts out above unity even with it backed way off.
    The MXR is a very good unit...BUT no blend knob...You have now discovered ( the part about boosting too much) exactly why having a blend knob really helps get more real world usage out of a compressor...If you get tired of the MXR, you can always flip it for what you have in it, so give it some time to see if it becomes more useable and if it doesn't go for the TC.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by johnthomas View Post
      The MXR is a very good unit...BUT no blend knob...You have now discovered ( the part about boosting too much) exactly why having a blend knob really helps get more real world usage out of a compressor...If you get tired of the MXR, you can always flip it for what you have in it, so give it some time to see if it becomes more useable and if it doesn't go for the TC.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
      That is my plan. I got a good deal on the MXR, could probably make a few bucks selling it. Right now I have a bid on a Philosopher's Tone that is selling below market value on eBay, so this may be an ongoing saga...

Comment

If you score a PT, your saga may be over. You have to spend a lot more $$ to get to the next level after that one.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
          If you score a PT, your saga may be over. You have to spend a lot more $$ to get to the next level after that one.
          I have spent some time with the MXR and I am happy with it. And it glows in the dark! But it looks like I might actually get the PT. Someone listed another one cheap and all the bidding on "mine" stopped dead. Win or lose, I will be happy.

Comment

Gotta live the win/win!!
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

A good, cheap compressor is the Danelectro Mini Surf & Turf, which sounds really great. I used one for years (before I got a Vise Grip) to boost my signal. These days I am using boosts more than compressors, but I still like them a lot.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X