Palladium vs EVH 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palladium vs EVH 5150

Does anyone know how the Palladium Gain Stage compares with the MXR EVH 5150 overdrive?

Re: Palladium vs EVH 5150

Welcome to the Forum!

There may not be enough in the wild yet to make that comparison, but they are getting out there!

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like that 5150 and almost got one, nice indeed for $200. I just got my White Palladium today and while I have a Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe that has remained one of my fav pedals for ages. The new Palladium is just outstanding. Depends on what you're after but for me the Palladium is another keeper pedal for me. I would not say it is a "brownsound" Marshall mimic but rather a more optimized tube gain sound. It's a djent fav for me. Accolades to S.D. on the Palladium. As for the 5150, if you do not have any sort of "brownsound" EVH Marshall like pedal it is a real winner as well. I find like the Pinnacle it has a range of adjust far and away for just doing the classic EVH thing. I use my Pinnacle for my Pagey like tones.
      The quality gain structure voicing of the Palladium is really, really good. Pays to understand the EQ tones are 12:00 flat and it has "Gain" for normal high freq dist and the "Resonance" gain for lower end dist. A very cool pedal. I found myself playing all sorts of heavy prog stuff that I never had the tone structure to get. A real winner in my book!
      "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
      You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

Could you possibly do a demo that we can hear?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I actually have no recording ability right now at all. I was never much on recording endless hours of stuff no one is going to hear, I cannot justify the expense. Too old to be delusional about being a rock star or band success. I hung up my guns playing live and so on. I enjoy playing and building my sound room, just no return on net assets for recording expense for me.
          Despite, in regard to high gain, it seems only a few demo cats I have heard have managed to actually get anything to sound right, which further adds to the expense of better recording gear.
          Palladium suffers from bad sounding demos. I would like to see Mike Hermans get a hold of one of these.
          "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
          You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

Comment

Sold my 5150- too trebly to be useful. Doesn't really emulate the amp anyway.
            Psychic Horns

Comment

I would say the Palladium w the low end Resonance gain adjust is the deal. Plus amazing levels of low end adjust, a superior pedal to be sure. One og the few high gains I have had where you could easily get too much low end. The more I use this puppy the more tones I discover. Far from a one tone, set it and forget it pedal.

Comment

Just got a Palladium yesterday and have to mess with it more. The two are very close which may say something about what I dial in.....and it's going to depend on the amp you have and guitar, pickups,etc......so....but both are very close although I think the Palladium has more tweakability from what I can say after an hour of A/B them both. Amp used is a stock Soldano Lucky 13, gain channel with gain anywhere from 3 to 8 and then played with the eq on the amp etc. so.....

Comment

Working...
                X