Just got my Palladium today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my Palladium today...

High gain distortion pedals are as difficult for me as a great sounding drive. Many out there fuzzing out tremendous levels of washout high gain. Might be why I change pedals so often, but some survive because they are just a cut above. I currently run a Mesa ToneBurst, a Mesa Flux Drive with a Wampler Pinnacle as my main gain section. I use the Pinnacle more on vintage with less gain, I do not really do the EVH thing but I can appreciate the tone. I had been looking around for a really good articulate uber gain dist pedal as they are such a hoot to mess with at times. I had a Wampler Triple Wreck for a time and that puppy was the best to my mind for a period. I got into Mesa pedals as I dig the Flux drive so I thought I'd try the Mesa Throttle Box EQ to get that classic Mesa V notch. Problem was it just was not doing the deal for me. The notion of fuzz with distortion is not my thing really, and I needed more articulation and note definition which tends to wash out with more and more gain structure.
    Hearing of the new SD Palladium and doing my best to not pay much attention to the various videos which left one not so much wondering no one reads manuals of frequency response and what something actually does. Not to mention that recording a really good high gain tone is apparently really difficult, for many video demo makers it would seem.
    The Duncan video on the making and design of the Palladium was the deal for me. I got what they were trying to do and while this pedal does not reinvent the wheel it does have a magical alchemy of op amps and germanium diodes that does indeed have that feel and response you get from a, dare I say, amp in "djent" mode. The quality of the distortion gain structure is extremely good with this pedal. I sent the Throttle Box back and went for this white Palladium, very happy with it.

At first examination the Palladium appears well made w quality smooth pots and notable EQ adjusts. Std switch scenario, no popping from switch charging. What I learned right off, being a "manual" info guy, was the EQ controls were flat at noon boost/cut 12db which allows for a marvelous range of adjust and tweaking which I am sure I have not ranged completely yet.
    Insightful coolness about this unit is the dual gain adjusts for "Gain" on the higher frequencies and "Resonance" on the lower.
    Try as I might I am unable to get anyone at S.D. to tell me the frequency shelving or pass frequencies they over lap on, maybe a trade secret.
    At any rate a marvelous idea. Without the Resonance low end you get a little too thin, with the two a range of adjust to suit any tone idea.
    Also is the very cool mid EQ parametric boost/cut midrange which allows a copious range of notching or mid boost. My only peeve is not really knowing where an exact frequency is on the knob. If you want that cool Mesa V notch at 750hz you are going to have to make a good guess. Guys, more markers on this would be a treat.

I like to know what I am doing and if I want a notch cut at 750 that is where I want it. I am not one of those twist the knob tone explorers. You know the ones that give me a laugh on various videos. They have the boost toggle on and no level on the knob or adjust the boost knob without the switch engaged, that sort of thing.
    I like knowing my bass control is centered at 100hz or my treble and so on, it helps me design a tone and more minor adjusts on the knobs for live sound.
    So, how does it sound?
    Right off this is gain monster and even rolling it all the way down competes with the dirtiest drive you might have. But, it sounds amazing, it feels amazing as you play. The quality of the distortion voice structure is superb. It has that sort of tone that has you playing things you never attempted before. I was ripping through metal prog and so forth that I would have never mustered without the Palladium. The note articulation is just excellent and one hears the full range and quality of the guitar instead of a typical washout over gained fuzz bomb.
    Nothing wrong with cool fuzz, but daddy does not like fuzz in my distortion pedals despite the clipping and circuit are so close. One of the things I did not like so much on the Triple Wreck was the boost circuit is a fuzz that lays on the distortion which is all fine and good but soon just washes out all sense of note definition. High gain is very good and fun but try playing that deep mid notched fuzz wash just does not cut through a band nor can it be heard well. The artful thing about the Palladium is that it just comes through and you can hear the notes much less arrange a high mid boost that comes out of the mix that will turn heads.
    I can hear the germaniums kick in with the boost and it does add considerable hair but not to the point it looses its cool amp like feel and response. Gets a thumbs up from my picky hard to please tone self. They call it "saturation" in the manual and that is pretty much what I would term it.

Being a guitarist for more centuries than I care to, or can recall, this is a keeper pedal for me. This is my high gain "djent" pedal. There might be others that have more gain and fuzzy tones but none that sound better. Seymour Duncan Engineering is making some killer pedals and have peaked my interest to try some others. If the Palladium represents a new paradigm in design and ideas, bring them on!! I am so tired of getting pedals I expect too much from and getting disappointed when in hand. This puppy at first chords and notes gave me that "oh yeah" thing that is a great one.
    Bravo Duncan Engineering staff!
    Last edited by Gainstage; 05-14-2016, 03:05 AM.
    "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
    You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Re: Just got my Palladium today...

Thank you for the thoughtful review! I think the key here is the EQ, which is pretty advanced. It isn't a 3 knob distortion pedal, so it takes more than a few seconds to find the perfect sound.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yep, not knowing how knobs are intended to function is to say the least, limiting. I like this pedal, very good sounding gain structure, fun to play, inspiring for different riffs. There are others that distort more but I would not say they "sound" better. Still getting used to blending the Gain and Resonance and EQ things. Palladium wins in my book. $300 seems a bit steep as the 5150 is only $200, my Pinnacle was about $230, but that pedal is a keeper, not just for the EVH tones but its low gain vintage mode is a great Marshall Pagey tone. The Mesa Throttle Box EQ was $300 but I returned the Mesa the same day. I like the Mesa pedals but that one was just too much fuzz in the distortion. I was expecting it sound to like a Triple or Dual but was not really amp sounding, sounded like a pedal. The Palladium has more of an amp feel and response. This one is on my keeper list, will not be traded off or sold. I would love to see a more overdrive lower gain version of this, or do they have something already in that vein? This is my first S D pedal.
      "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
      You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

Comment

Got me the whitey...
        Psychic Horns

Comment

My wife suggested the white one and they were out of black, which I liked a lot, so karma won out, but the white is pretty sweet. Sure beats all the other colors which for me tends to get annoying in a rainbow sense. I mean a pink pedal, come on, that is a terrible color. Pussy cat pink is fine but pedals not so much...
          If all my pedals were one color or a theme I would like that so much better.
          There is a vast range of tones in this pedal and once I find something cool. another different facet is in there with a twist of the EQ centering.
          Love the low resonance gain even using my 4x12, I can see this to be the deal if one had a single speaker or open back this will add in the punch factor. I dig this pedal and the more I mess with it the more tones I keep finding. Can't see this ever being a set it and forget it pedal. Somebody get one of these to Mike Hermans of Prymaxe, now that is a vid I want to see and hear.
          Last edited by Gainstage; 05-15-2016, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I think there will be lots more demos soon, as these get into the hands of dealers.

Comment

Could you compare/contrast the EQ on the Palladium with the 805? I really dig the 805 and I think the EQ section is it's strong point. Has SD engineering made significant advances in the EQ on the Palladium?

Comment

The Palladium is capable of a lot more gain, sweepable mids, presence and resonance controls. The EQ is expanded over the 805 (which I love).

Comment

Working...
                X