Vapor Trail Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vapor Trail Review

I use a Vapor Trail for an 'always on' delay. I use a digital delay for the really long stuff, like loops.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Just having a port labeled "wet insert" is interesting enough... haha.. Im questing for the right delay, this one sure has my interest.. currently running a CC and a Digitech hardwire.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I like having the mod controls on the outside of the pedal. I also dig putting the echoes through really interesting pedals, or on a different track when recording.

Comment

I received my Vapor Trails pedal today. I tried to be objective on how it sounded and how it compared to two digital emulated analog delay pedals. I won't name them since many love them and will try to defend them. My attitude was if I truthfully liked the digital emulated analog pedals better, the VT was going to be sent back to the store. This would mean I then saved $150 by returning it.

My guitar style is similar to Eric Clapton, Larry Carlton, and Jeff Beck. So I'm not as much into effect sounding delays except for fun.

I first spent some time with it and I found myself really liking the sound I got. I then took the time to get the emulated analog pedals to sound as close as possible to the VT sound with the tone control. Then I got the delay and mix levels as close as possible. The blinking light on the VP helped to do this.

I will admit all delay pedals sounded good. The VT however provides a more pleasing delay sound to me. It is like comparing the sound of a tube amp to a good solid state amp. Or a tube compressor to a solid state compressor. It just has a less clear and edgy sound. It has a more organic sound. I would say there is about a 15 percent difference, maybe 10-12 percent.

I also noticed if you use the delay pedals in front of the amp without using a send/return if you amp has it in the back, the conflicting click sound with the emulated analog delay pedal was more noticeable over the Vapor Trails. So there is another plus with the VT. Don't know why there is less but it is clearly more noticeable and annoying with the digital version.

For my style I just prefer the sound I get with the Vapor Trails over the digital delay pedals. It just blends better with the original note and stays more out of the way even with the mix knob up. Adding the modulation is just another plus. It's not the same as a chorus pedal of course but the modulation is a welcomed feature. I liked it when I added some distortion on the guitar which made me smile. There is still a need for digital delays though as they offer longer delays, tap, and stereo delay including ping pong. I really love this pedal and I highly recommend it. The Catalina Chorus will be my next.
          Last edited by Revelation Sound; 08-22-2016, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Great review! Thanks for writing it!

Comment

Working...
            X