Misc Pedal settings questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Misc Pedal settings questions...

Thanks again to all for the well wishes, prayers and good vibes.. Been quite an issue. Not just what she is doing, but the issue the facility is making of it and even worse is that I CANT find her help..

Devastone,

To clarify, I run both ways. If Im lazy or in a rush, I just plug it all to the front. When I have time to do things properly and if I were to play out (one day perhaps!!) Ill use the loop to get the best tone I can.. So, Im setting up as if Im using the loop. Thanks for your help!!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Food For Thought

Always think of each pedal in terms of signal.

Always think of your guitar as the signal.

When you go GUITAR > WAH....You are "wah-ing" a clean signal.

When you go GUITAR > WAH > Overdrive, you are overdriving and wah'd clean signal.

When you place a pedal in line, it always effects the pedal that is before it.

This starts to make more sense when people start arguing over modulation and time based effects: The classic combination being Reverb and Delay. Which goes last??? Well....do you want your reverb delayed or do you want your delays reverberated.

The last pedal will have the "last word" on your overall signal path.

Another great example to help illustrate this is an e.q. pedal.

If you place the e.q. first in the chain, you are eq-ing your guitar.

If you place it after a distortion pedal, you are eq-ing that pedal.

So if you ever get into (let's say) a great analog flanger pedal that gives you a volume drop when engaged, place an eq or a clean boost after that pedal and you will fix it.

See ya.

All my best to you and your daughter.

~LD
      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

thanks again for the great info! makes alot of sense. Im sure thats why Im not getting tones im looking for as I dont have the chain right.. like what Lyser and Mincer were saying above too. Im getting some things OVER emphasized and castrating others with current order. Ive started tearing down the board. Had to build up one area to get cable clearance and with kinda have to drop my tuner in the center in kind of a goofy location to make this work, but Im looking for the best function.. Have more work to do,but will have to wait till my daughter is squared away. Plus, one of my other daughters just gave birth to my first grand baby yest.. So, I have a new grand daughter!!
        Anyhow. will get it done... eventually..
        If you would all be so kind to keep an eye out here.. Ill probably have some fine tuning issues when it comes down to it.. like the eq. It gets alil confusing if I want to eq the total signal or the after signal or what.. haha mind boggling..

Someone also mentioned signal drop from modulation effects.. Im hoping I wont have too many issues on this board given all the info Ive gotten so far.. But when I get to my next board which is all just color pedals, thats gonna be interesting too. ADA Flanger, MXR flanger... haha

Thank you again for both the help and good wishes!! Means alot!
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
          thanks again for the great info! makes alot of sense. Im sure thats why Im not getting tones im looking for as I dont have the chain right.. like what Lyser and Mincer were saying above too. Im getting some things OVER emphasized and castrating others with current order. Ive started tearing down the board. Had to build up one area to get cable clearance and with kinda have to drop my tuner in the center in kind of a goofy location to make this work, but Im looking for the best function.. Have more work to do,but will have to wait till my daughter is squared away. Plus, one of my other daughters just gave birth to my first grand baby yest.. So, I have a new grand daughter!!
          Anyhow. will get it done... eventually..
          If you would all be so kind to keep an eye out here.. Ill probably have some fine tuning issues when it comes down to it.. like the eq. It gets alil confusing if I want to eq the total signal or the after signal or what.. haha mind boggling..

Someone also mentioned signal drop from modulation effects.. Im hoping I wont have too many issues on this board given all the info Ive gotten so far.. But when I get to my next board which is all just color pedals, thats gonna be interesting too. ADA Flanger, MXR flanger... haha

Thank you again for both the help and good wishes!! Means alot!
          Congratulations on the birth of your granddaughter.

Don't worry about the eq until you need it.

You will know...when the time is right.

~LD
          For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

Thank you!! She is Beautiful!! Some light in the darkness Ive been having with the younger one..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Since Lucy & others already offered a lot regarding pedal order, I won't add any of the limitless other possibilities. The things I recommend:

1. Plug in everything & turn off all effects. Tweak the amp EQ, gain, & volume to compensate for possible tone loss from a long signal chain.

2. Turn on 1 effect at a time while searching for your optimal setting. Although you have many effects connected, you won't always run all of them at the same time. I used to own 57 pedals; I never plugged in more than 5 at a time; I usually only turned on 2 at a time.

3. When layering so many effects, set each one a little milder than you would expect. That way, the dynamics of your fingers don't get lost in cascaded distortions & delays.
              Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Originally posted by baritone View Post
                Since Lucy & others already offered a lot regarding pedal order, I won't add any of the limitless other possibilities. The things I recommend:

1. Plug in everything & turn off all effects. Tweak the amp EQ, gain, & volume to compensate for possible tone loss from a long signal chain.

2. Turn on 1 effect at a time while searching for your optimal setting. Although you have many effects connected, you won't always run all of them at the same time. I used to own 57 pedals; I never plugged in more than 5 at a time; I usually only turned on 2 at a time.

3. When layering so many effects, set each one a little milder than you would expect. That way, the dynamics of your fingers don't get lost in cascaded distortions & delays.
                + 1 Million

This is EXCELLENT advice.

\m/,

Comment

Working...
                X