Drive pedals on the board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive pedals on the board

I think I need to redo my board. Should the drive pedals be before or after the effects. Seems to me that having them near the end of my chain is causing the effects tones to be over pronounced when I kick on the gain pedals.. Are they best when set before?? Seems like there have been mixed opinions of this. thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Drive pedals on the board

The only one I have to have after any drive is delay and/or reverb. Everything else wherever. On my board, I have phaser > overdrive > flanger > tuner. I like the phaser out front of the OD but prefer the flanger after it.

Comment

Place your drive pedals before your delays and reverbs.

Placing them before modulation pedals like chorus, flange and phase are to taste.

Assuming they are not permanently nailed or screwed to your board, please please PLEASE just take some time and experiment with each pedal EVERYWHERE.

Enjoy in good health.
      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Erik's suggestion is a good place to start, I like phase and flange before drive (although works either place), but everything else after.
        Last edited by devastone; 05-24-2016, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I'm kind of wonky... I do:

Wah
          Univibe
          Phaser (1)
          Flanger (1)
          Fuzz
          Overdrive
          Phaser (2)
          Flanger (2)
          Chorus
          Distortion
          Delay
          Reverb
          Flanger (3)

I only have one Flanger and Phaser, but I put them in different locations based on what sound I want. Generally I like my "filter based" effect like Wah, Univibe and Phaser before all gain, but sometimes after OD makes it jump out. For Flanger, Eddie ran it into gain, many run it after gain, and if you put it at the end of the chain it kind of simulates Flanging on the whole track, very extreme. For chorus, I usually use it like a rotary sim, between OD and Distortion is a compromise.

Even think about Eddie's use of delay, Echoplex into amp gain!

So the truth for you really is that you need to experiment and see what you like the best! The thing I always suggest is to start with base drive pedals, then add additional drive flavors like boost, fuzz and specialty drives, then delay/reverb/mod pedals based on how often you use them to find the perfect place for every pedal.

LD is right... Try to enjoy the process.
          Last edited by PFDarkside; 05-24-2016, 03:00 PM.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Wah/Phaser > Dirt(s) > Mod > Delay/Rev for me...
            "Scalloped & Stickered"
            A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

I prefer dirt first, but the only rule is experiment and go with what gets you closest to the sound you like.

Comment

I go wah, dirt, effects, delay, noise gate.

The way had to go in front of dirt, or its just bizarre, and the delay gets really dimished near the end, it needs to be turned up quite a bit.

That's how I roll .
                Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Do you have an effects loop? If so, put any modulation and delay through the loop. Then run dirt pedals through the front. Eq would be to taste and I would put wah in front of dirt.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I tend to put my OD/Dist pedals first in the chain. I've been experimenting with the location of my Phase 90 a bit, but find I'm liking it a bit more after my dirt, but I don't notice a huge difference because I don't generally use my heavier OD pedal with the Phaser, just my Archer.
                    Go Packers!

Comment

uh, 15,873 posts and where do drives go???
                      "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
                      You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Gainstage View Post
                        uh, 15,873 posts and where do drives go???
                        Come now, be nice... ��

There is really no right answer, just whatever works best for you???

I typically run my tuner first, 2-4 "Dirt" pedals (O.D., FUZZ, DISTORTION, BOOST, Exc.) depending on the amp & then my E.Q. pedal. A lot of people like their E.Q. before their dirt pedals, I do not??? Anyway, if possible I normally will run all my modulation through the loop (Chorus, Phase, Delay, & Reverb) but with some of my amps I'll just run the reverb through the loop and everything else out front. With other heads that already have decent onboard reverb I'll pull my Grail out of the chain completely, but run any other modulation pedals through their effects loop?

Just Bill Nye The Science Guy it & experiment with them in different positions until you come up with something that works well for you. You'll also probably find that for certain things they sound better in different places while you're at it? It's kinda a painstaking process but in the end definitely well worth the time....
                        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Working...
                        X