banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About time I broke out of the Tubescreamer world...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About time I broke out of the Tubescreamer world...

I recently built this kit with my daughter, and it's a whole new world to me now. First of all, I can get non-hard-rock tones with my Les Paul that actually inspire me to play. The other thing is that I'm actually using it as a drive rather than a boost. I'm so used to just going with the gain all the way down and the drive all the way up that I forgot there are other ways to do it. But with my TS-style ODs, that's still the way I'll run them.

Anyways, I don't do the clean amp with pedals thing. I love amp breakup, and a boosted amp breaking up is a glorious thing, as I'm sure we all know. But the sound here is too good to pass up. I'm really digging it so far.

A couple of build notes before I finish with the moral of my story. I had put together a BYOC flanger kit that I have yet to get working, so I really wanted this one to be spot on from the word go. It wasn't. I took care with everything (or so I thought), finally finished everything with the build looking pretty clean, and I took it up to my pedalboard. Plugged it in, turned on the amp, stomped on the pedal, bright blue light, and... no sound.

I was just depressed at the time. I didn't want to look at it. It was just dejection. So I went to try if I could see what was going on the day after, and I opened it up, and I felt something hot. I had put one of the ICs in backwards. I reversed it, but still no luck. I figured I'd order a new one from Mouser and give it a go in a couple of days when I got the new one.

I ordered a pair of replacement ICs--the cost of the parts is minimal in comparison to the shipping, so why not two?--and got them a few days later. I figured I had to have burned it out, but after replacing it, I still had nothing. Bypassed tone was the same as always, but press that button, and nada.

So I start scouring the internet for troubleshooting tips, and one of the first posts I happen across says something to the effect of, "Everyone sucks at soldering. Touch up every single joint again, then try to find more help." Sure enough, that nailed it down. It's tedious, but it fixed it, and that's what I needed. For what it's worth, I really had to tune with my ears rather than my eyes, because the kit came without knobs. I'll have to get Centaur-style knobs just because, but I don't have any yet.

I never have, and I probably never will, play through an actual Klon Centaur, but this overdrive is a classic, and it really works with my setup.

P.S. Pics or it didn't happen. I know. It's late, and there are people in that room trying to sleep. Plus, it's just a plain, aluminum box. I'll get there.

Re: About time I broke out of the Tubescreamer world...

I have to say, I am interested in building this. Is it hard? I am not really sure if I 'get' the Klon sound (or is it a feel thing), but I'd certainly like to try.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My experience soldering comes from EE labs in college. I wouldn't call myself good at it. But if you can follow instructions and be patient, it's relatively easy. Since you've obviously replaced your pickups, it's simple enough to do.

Can I say it's worth saving ten bucks over a Soul Food? No, I can't, because I've never played through a Soul Food. But if building a pedal is something you'd like to do, I would say you're probably more than qualified, and it's cool in the end.

I actually think they shorted me a capacitor, so I had to go spend an extra buck, and my eyes are getting to the point where it's easier to measure the resistors than read the color codes, but the end result seems to be pretty solid.

Also, it's kind of cool to have your little girl asking you, "Daddy, can we work on the pedal tonight?"
      Last edited by misterwhizzy; 05-25-2016, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        My experience soldering comes from EE labs in college. I wouldn't call myself good at it. But if you can follow instructions and be patient, it's relatively easy. Since you've obviously replaced your pickups, it's simple enough to do.

Can I say it's worth saving ten bucks over a Soul Food? No, I can't, because I've never played through a Soul Food. But if building a pedal is something you'd like to do, I would say you're probably more than qualified, and it's cool in the end.

I actually think they shorted me a capacitor, so I had to go spend an extra buck, and my eyes are getting to the point where it's easier to measure the resistors than read the color codes, but the end result seems to be pretty solid.

Also, it's kind of cool to have your little girl asking you, "Daddy, can we work on the pedal tonight?"
        Amen. Very cool.

Ive thought about building pedals, but I have enough trouble with pickups. Meager soldering skills. Little patience.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Hope it was a great experience!

Enjoy the pedal and the time with your daughter.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I've built a few BYOC pedals, like an Overdrive 2, 5 knob compressor, and Tremolo. Some of those parts are tiny! Building pedals is fun if you have the time (to take your time) and an uninterrupted work space.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They sell that pedal, already built, for $10 more.

Comment

I envy the patience required, I also doubt my ability to solder small things. Guitar wiring is as far as I go and that is often a nightmare enough. I do not think I would ever have the confidence to make my own pedal, somehow I cannot convince myself it would work and if it did that it was working optimally. I dearly love messing with pedals but I am happy to let someone else do the bench work. Inexpensive is also not my goal agenda. I often wonder if builders make frankenstein personal things or if that is perhaps how they come up with production model versions. Bless all the designers and builders for bringing me such wonderful sonic bliss for a few bucks, it is appreciated greatly.
                "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
                You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

cool thanks for sharing. i'll check em out. i'm kinda bored. i made a byoc fixed wah pedal, it worked for a bit then konked out
                  Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                  http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                    They sell that pedal, already built, for $10 more.
                    With all due respect, I think you're missing the point.

Comment

With all due respect, I think you're missing the point.
                      No, I'm not. There was a member who seemed interested (JeffB I think) but concerned about their ability to build it. I could have quoted the post I guess, but I thought that providing the info about the pre-built version may have been helpful to him, or anyone interested in an inexpensive Klone.

Comment

"It's a wise man who knows his limitations", I am not building anything myself. I like doing my own guitar wiring and making cables but that is a far as I go. I cannot imagine the mess I could make out of minute solder connections. Tonelogist was probably talking about me. I get the whole self building thing, it adds a connection to something that you do not get otherwise. I also worry a little about the subconscious notion that it would have to sound amazing as a result. I do not think I could ever get past the psyche out that maybe something I wired up could have been a little better and it might sound even better.
                        I used to make my own guitars out of upgrade parts, after I got a very cool Les Paul I stopped doing that because that build was the deal for me.
                        May the gods smile on all the hand made pedal builders, each deserve a tip of the hat and a appreciative hug from me.
                        If you have that ability then it is a gift, go for it.
                        "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
                        You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                          No, I'm not. There was a member who seemed interested (JeffB I think) but concerned about their ability to build it. I could have quoted the post I guess, but I thought that providing the info about the pre-built version may have been helpful to him, or anyone interested in an inexpensive Klone.
                          It's about the journey, not the destination. And who's along for the ride. I had basically given up on my BYOC Flanger build because I just couldn't figure out where the problem was, and I still considered it a bit of a success because I learned a lot along the way, and I taught my daughter quite a bit too. Even though at the time it was a $120 doorstop, it still wasn't a failure.

Comment

Experience is never failure. Better to have tried and missed rather than never having tried. I know from my previous adventures in guitar wiring having converted to a more high temp gun I cannot deal with a pencil and those tiny solder points with my need for magnifying the area makes for designing an "operating" table before even starting much less I just know the thing is not going to work and if it does I could never overcome the notion that maybe something is not quite right and it would sound better. But for those who can venture into that realm, full speed ahead. You learn a lot about circuits doing that even doing guitar wiring you understand all the options and issues of older vintage and modern wiring. It's all cool.

Comment

It's about the journey, not the destination. And who's along for the ride. I had basically given up on my BYOC Flanger build because I just couldn't figure out where the problem was, and I still considered it a bit of a success because I learned a lot along the way, and I taught my daughter quite a bit too. Even though at the time it was a $120 doorstop, it still wasn't a failure.
                              Totally understood your point. Still, not everyone wants to take the journey. It's part of the reason why tons of pedal makers are in business selling pedals at 200 bucks a pop. Because I mention the kit that you built being available for another 10 bucks, fully built, doesn't mean I'm an idiot who missed your point. Just trying to provide info for those who don't want to take your journey and would rather just get to the destination ... for less than 200 bucks.

Nice job on getting it built and working.
                              Last edited by Darg1911; 06-05-2016, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X