X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gainstage
    replied
    Re: Studio Preamp/Boss GT8 substitute

Got to say I used an all analog Tech21 PSA 1.1 for years and that puppy was the best sounding clean to uber gain amp ever. It has a stereo loop, XLR, output level adjusts and with a 100 user presets will be more than what you would ever need. It allows user overwrite and restore of factory preset samples.
    It functions as a full on DI box and both the 1/4 TS and XLR stereo outs can be used at the same time. Very quiet and sounds so much like a great tweaked in tube amp you would be amazed. Pro level recording studios have used them for ages.
    While not a cheap unit, you get what you pay for and this is a studio grade rack unit. I had the copper plate anniversary model and it was truly the best preamp I ever had. I changed my entire gear line this year or I would still have it. This is not a modeler, not digital and instead of trying to mimic traditional amps it is more like an optimized tube sounding true preamp. One of the only non tube units I loved the clean and mid gain tones.
    Last edited by Gainstage; 05-31-2016, 02:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dspiffy
    replied

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    Looks like a GT2 clone.

Behringer stuff usually sounds like exactly what it's copying.

Leave a comment:

• Obsessive Compulsive
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

The Blonde is a great pedal. I traded up to the FlyRig, as I wanted reverb. But the Blonde sounds great direct. Don't know how the Joyo copy compares. But any of the Tech21 amp sims I've used have been wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

Yes

Leave a comment:

• dspiffy
    replied

I got confused because they are both GT.

The Joyo is a Blonde copy, I believe.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

The GT8 is digital, all of the Tech 21 products are analog.

Yes, the Blonde/American might be worth checking out, the Leeds and British are really nice too.

Leave a comment:

• dspiffy
    replied

Really all I need is a good clean that doesnt sound dead, or sterile with my pedal OD's/Distortions. But I like an amp that breaks up just slightly when you push it all the way.

The SansAmp Gt2 is digital? If you are referring to the Boss GT8, I havent edited any parameters.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

So, you want an amp sim only, no effects?

The Joyo might do it(?), it's a knock off of the Tech 21 Blonde (I'd try to find a used "real" one if it was me), but you'll probably need a distortion/OD pedal in front depending on how dirty you want it.

FWIW, the Blonde/American is analog, the GT is digital, you have a lot more parameters you can adjust with the GT.

My < $0.02

Leave a comment:

• dspiffy
    replied

I would really like to find something that ONLY serves this purpose, as opposed to having a lot of other features/effects.

Someone recommended to me the Joyo American Sound. At under $40 it's hard not to try.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

The GT8 was a good processor. I used the GP-100 for years, which is sort of a deluxe rack mount version. If you like the sound of the GT-8, you should hear modeling a decade later. Later versions (GT-Pro,etc) didn't sound nearly as good. A modern replacement? Tech21 FlyRig5. Basic, and sounds spectacular.

Leave a comment:

• Funkfingers
    Guest replied

A good studio engineer is far more interested in what things sound like than what they are. If a recorded signal is fully discrete from all other recorded signals, this maximises the possibilities for manipulation of all kinds. Additionally, plugging in to a device that will immediately yield consistent results saves time, effort and money. Ultimately, the engineer just wants something that will sound right in a full mix.

BOSS has made compact desktop multi-effector boxes. (I forget the model numbers.) If your budget will stretch to it, I thoroughly recommend the BOSS GT-100. This has features that you do not yet realise that you need.

Leave a comment:

• dspiffy
    started a topic Studio Preamp/Boss GT8 substitute

Studio Preamp/Boss GT8 substitute

So, at some point, instead of micing an amp in the studio, I started using my engineer's Boss GT8 as a preamp. I'm not sure what prompted this, but as someone adamantly opposed to multieffects and anything digital, I was shocked at the results.

I use the "Clean and Crunchy" preset with the gain, level, and all of the EQ knobs slightly past half. All of the effects off. And I'll be damned if it doesnt sound as good as micing an amp, with none of the ambient noise issues. Line level out, stereo or mono.

I would love to have something like this to take to other sessions, and even to have as a backup live. But I cant imagine I need anything as huge as the GT8. I'm only using a tiny fraction of what it can do. I'm thinking there has got to be something small and light that would fit in the pocket of a gig bag and serve the same function.

Ideas? All I would need is gain, level, and EQ. Dont even really need all those.
Working...
X