No announcement yet.

Looking into adding a vibe pedal and upgrading my Phaser, need some suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking into adding a vibe pedal and upgrading my Phaser, need some suggestions

evh phase 90 bbe soul vibe nuff said

Comment

Re: Looking into adding a vibe pedal and upgrading my Phaser, need some suggestions

Okay. Man tough call after only one night. The Helix has a mix Knob and that's nice. The Lunar allows mix via the software.

I need to dig into the software on both.

If you are a no instructions just twist the knobs guy, I feel like the Helix wins. The Lunar has a knob that fully ccw is a sine waveform. Fully clockwise is a block wave for and in between blends. That wasn't intuitive at all until I RTFM.

Tone Prints vs the many option SA gives you. Not sure you can go wrong with either. More testing this week.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I've had several MXR Phasers including the EVH. Their bypass circuitry just bugs the hell out of me. Even the EVH has the "hard-wired bypass" which isn't any better. I ended up getting a Whirlwind Orange Box. This IS the original Script Phase 90 built by the same guys that started it all in the early 1970's. It is true bypass (though that may not matter to some but compared to the MXR bypass, I'll take it), DC power jack and a LED. This one is staying on my board.

Comment

Winner is the Helix. The Lunar is going back. Why? I prefer the mix control on the face of the helix vs having to set it in the software on the Lunar. And honestly the Helix just flat out sounds better to my ears. The Lunar can do a lot of things but those things aren't rocking my world.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
            Winner is the Helix. The Lunar is going back. Why? I prefer the mix control on the face of the helix vs having to set it in the software on the Lunar. And honestly the Helix just flat out sounds better to my ears. The Lunar can do a lot of things but those things aren't rocking my world.
            I got to try the Helix when I stopped into the local guitar store to pick up cables yesterday. I'm definitely super impressed, it's a GREAT sounding pedal, a real winner.
            Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
            I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
            Andrew - None

Comment

IMO, the three pedals that need to be "real" and not digital sims are Wah, Fuzz and Uni-Vibe. The way the odd impedances interact with each other and the guitar pickups is very unique. Everything else can be simulated pretty well at this point, and if you don't need the uniqueness of a Vibe, there are quite a few good phasers that can cop a similar vibe for a lot less money. (In fact, even though I am a Vibe fan, I've played Breathe with a Small Stone and Too Rolling Stoned with a Phase 90, no one cared other than me. )

That being said, maybe the Viscous Vibe will change my mind! Really I'd love a mini Helix, especially with the Tone Print you can probably dial in a great phaser with it.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I picked up a Viscous Vibe, and love it...
                "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  IMO, the three pedals that need to be "real" and not digital sims are Wah, Fuzz and Uni-Vibe. The way the odd impedances interact with each other and the guitar pickups is very unique. Everything else can be simulated pretty well at this point, and if you don't need the uniqueness of a Vibe, there are quite a few good phasers that can cop a similar vibe for a lot less money. (In fact, even though I am a Vibe fan, I've played Breathe with a Small Stone and Too Rolling Stoned with a Phase 90, no one cared other than me. )

That being said, maybe the Viscous Vibe will change my mind! Really I'd love a mini Helix, especially with the Tone Print you can probably dial in a great phaser with it.
                  Though I will add that I use my Strymon Mobius with an expression pedal as a wah and it sounds absolutely amazing.
                  Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                  I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                  Andrew - None

Comment

My personal preferences:

Phaser: Boss silver screw PH1

Vibe: Earthquaker Depths.

The Phase 90 is an old standby but I just want a liiiittle more tweakability. The Phase 100 is too much - the Boss PH1 is just right. #goldilocks

I used to have a JAM Retro Vibe - gorgeous sound but very expensive and prone to some noise. Internal trimmers were a set-n-forget thing. The EQD had all the controls on the face of it and while it isn't an incandescent bulb it IS an optical circuit, not a modded phase circuit.

Comment

Good vibrations.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

TC Electronics Dreamscape John Petrucci Signature pedal. Amazing pedal. Tons of options. Including the tone print feature.
                        sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

Well, if that doesn't get you shakin'...

Comment

Could we back off the religious quote stuff?? Not everyone is a member of that club.
                            "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
                            You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

I think you can turn off seeing people's sigs in your forum settings...

Comment

No sigs in Tapatalk

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Working...
                                X