No announcement yet.

Looking into adding a vibe pedal and upgrading my Phaser, need some suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking into adding a vibe pedal and upgrading my Phaser, need some suggestions

I'm still in the research and test phase (no pun intended), but I'm looking at upgrading my Phaser and adding some sort of vibe again.

Phaser:

I have a standard Phase 90, which is OK, but it doesn't blow me away. I've thought about the J RAD Tranquilizer, MXR EVH Phase 90, and the VFE Enterprise. I don't like really extreme phasing, mostly pretty subtle (think Waylon Jennings). The Tranq and the Enterprise can be switched to a vibe-type sound, which might sate my desire for vibe. The EVH model seems to come highly recommended as well. I'm pretty new to Phasers (I've only had the Phase 90 for a few months), so I don't really know what else is out there.

Vibes:

I had a Voodoo Labs MicroVibe for a while, but I ended up dumping it when I stopped using it. It is definitely on the list of things to consider. I've also looked at the Deja Vibe, which I like as well. I like the vintage/modern switch, as there are times I'd prefer a slightly cleaner vibe than the typical UniVibe type sound.
    Go Packers!

Re: Looking into adding a vibe pedal and upgrading my Phaser, need some suggestions

The Phase 45 might be worth a shot, it kinda covers both bases, more subtle and vibe-y than the 90.

Comment

Re: Looking into adding a vibe pedal and upgrading my Phaser, need some suggestions

I've thought about the 45, too, forgot to mention that one. I've read that's what Waylon used a lot. The Tranqualizer is based off of a 45 circuit, and I think the Enterprise can be set to 2, 3, or 4 stages, so it might do that as well. The Tranq is still pretty expensive, though, since it just came out this year. Maybe a 45 is the way to go.
      Go Packers!

Comment

I think Keeley makes a phaser that is a 45 (stage) and 90 (stage) in one.

I still like my MicroVibe, but want to try a Mini Dejavibe 3 and the Drybell as well.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have a Phase 45 kit from GGG I built and added a switch to add the "10:1 Univibe" capacitor mod. There isn't a huge amount of difference between stock and Uni-V modes, but the 45 is more "vibe-y" than the EVH 90 I have. I know you were talking about 2 different pedals, but the 45 seems to be kinda in the middle.

Comment

There's also the DOD 201 Phasor (not a misspelling). It's another fairly subtle 2 stage phaser, to my ears it's a little less vibey than the Phase 45 (potentially because, to my ears at least, the phase 45 is a bit of a triangle wave and the DOD 201 is more of a sine like a conventional phaser).

Another direction to go entirely, and this will sound weird if you're looking for an 'upgrade', but the slightly older Boss PH-2 Super Phaser was an absolutely brilliant analog phaser with (I believe) 12 stages. You have full control over resonance and depth, s you can make it as subtle or as weird as you see fit. The Boss PH-3 was, IMO, a huge downgrade, moving to a fairly sterile sounding digital chip.

I don't have personal experience with it, but I've heard great clips from the Source Audio Lunar phaser, I know a few players who swear by their Vertigo tremolo (And I personally love their Nemesis delay). It has phaser and vibe in it, and if I were in the market for a phaser it'd probably be the first one I'd try.
            Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
            I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
            Andrew - None

Comment

Speaking from what I have used:
              Phase 90: several versions, the classic all time best sounding simple 4 stage phaser. Not so sure the buffers in this are very good quality. Sounds good in most applications but have seen tone loss on in/out signifying buffer is more Boss type grade.

Phase 45: MXR classic, this is a 2 stage phaser, more subtle than the 90.

EVH 90 version: Nice update of the 4 stage phase 90 which also contains an on top select of either the more subtle script mode or the more bolder block mode circuit. This is probably the best phaser I have used and I did not notice any issues with the buffer quality.

Dual Phase 90: Basically two modern phase 90s both option (block and script) circuits in one unit, stereo independent, stacked or series options. This was pretty cool and using the two together renders a decent vibe like effect. I liked this unit but on one of my various routing hook up adventures I noticed again the buffer was changing the dry sound when off. It may be that many do not notice this in the grand scope of basic use but I did not notice the buffer thing on the EVH. I do not think any of them are bypass if the EVH is bypass wired then it is the best of the best. The dual was pretty cool and you can use it as just one phase 90 std if you like.

The cool thing about the MXR style I always liked is that puppy works well no matter where you put it, in front or after gain. I think you get less articulation with modulation in front, more blur, but better note definition and bolder sweep headroom after dirt. Have to say I usually end up with Vibe in front only using ODs and Phase after my high gains which gives me better note articulation and noticeable sweep. Phasers after give me more of that Pagey phaser thing while vibe in front of drives more of the Trower blurred note sort of thing.

I have had other phasers like the Hardwire and others but honestly cannot remember them much and do not have any right now. I use the phaser in my modeler when I want a phase but no way that is better than a stand alone pedal. Have to consider despite TC is digital their Helix Phaser and their new Vibe version are nothing to reject off hand. If you can find one the Keeley green phaser is a jewel.

Vibe are a mixed breed and also highly subjective as to where you place them in chain. Used to be the original UNIvibe had a terrible buffer tone sucker and was at the end of chain after any dirt. Hendrix and early Trower did very well with this position. Later Trower with the onset of advice and better tech from Mike Fuller (Full Tone) started running his in front of drives.
              I have had several versions of the Vibe and nothing is quite like it but your use for it may not be all that much. Last one I had was the new Deja footpedal blue one. What I can say about Fulltone is his circuit is the real deal, 4 photocell vibe and lamp with NOS parts where he thinks the original had some magic. He has his own photocells made to his specs, a very anal retentive circuit overall of the very mythical but not so great no two alike Univibe of old.
              Fulltone versions also tend to work anywhere you put them. His sounded better than others I have used. I think the photocell vibes sound more organic and analog not so processed. I tend to be a photocell vibe guy but have to say some of the newer digital puppies like TC's vibe do pretty damn good. Trower uses nothing but the Deja. Prescription Electronics makes a very Fulltone like true photocell version. DryBell is also a super good one. Phasers are getting almost as numerous as drives and dist pedals, a million of them out there and so many being nearly identical even more so than tubescreamer type drives. I wager to say some of the arguments on phasers will often have pretty much the same exact circuit being preferred over the other.

Depends on your use and what you are after. Benefits of on-line buying is you can try it out and send it back if it does not do the deal with your gear. Chemistry and interaction issues are as infinite as a players hands and technique.
              Got to say the best sound I ever got with one was the blue Deja pedal up front, into moderate OD into a tube head set a little darker. Was so Robin Trower to make your head spin, each note if held warbled into feedback. I am not a fan of fast vibe stuff I like the slower pulse coolness, same with phaser, not so fast like a trem fast thing. Depends on what you like and what you are trying to get at. The Vibe cool was for me Hendrix and Trower was and is the vibe god. Best phaser in my memory was the EVH 90.
              Last edited by Gainstage; 06-02-2016, 04:18 PM.
              "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
              You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Gainstage View Post
                Speaking from what I have used:
                Phase 90: several versions, the classic all time best sounding simple 4 stage phaser. Not so sure the buffers in this are very good quality. Sounds good in most applications but have seen tone loss on in/out signifying buffer is more Boss type grade.

Phase 45: MXR classic, this is a 2 stage phaser, more subtle than the 90.

EVH 90 version: Nice update of the 4 stage phase 90 which also contains an on top select of either the more subtle script mode or the more bolder block mode circuit. This is probably the best phaser I have used and I did not notice any issues with the buffer quality.
                These don't have buffers and also aren't true bypass, if you are hearing "tone suck" with these it's because it uses what MXR calls "hardwire bypass" which means that the signal sees the circuit all the time, even when the effect is bypassed. It's the same reason non-TB wahs suck tone so bad, especially when they are first in the chain. I have a buffered pedal before my MXR pedals which seems to minimize this effect, if you don't have any buffers before them, it is probably noticeable.

Comment

Good to know, I tried putting a Radial PB1 high end buffer in front of the Dual 90 in my loop but it did not seem to help it as to what came out of it on dry.
                  I really thought vintage MXR was buffered circuit. I did notice a big difference between the EVH MXR model and others, maybe I am hearing things again. I do not know how they can call something bypass wired if it is going through the circuit and does not have a buffer circuit, weird thing to me. Anyway I doubt if most users will ever hear an issue with them or Boss for that matter which I know has two buffers per pedal, ref. Brian Wampler.
                  Last edited by Gainstage; 06-02-2016, 04:51 PM.
                  "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
                  You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

I've had a deja vibe (treadle version), a Foxrox aquavibe, and a Drybell.

To me the Drybell is the best behaved. The deja vibe distorted a lot for some reason, although it had a good sound. The aquavibe is really nice but kind of subtle and finicky.

The Drybell has a small form factor, is very versatile and well built. To my ear it is more "phasery" and has a little more mid cut.

The Voodoo labs is supposed to be decent, I think I tried one once and thought it was fine and it's a lot less $$ than any of the other three mentioned.

sigpic

Comment

Source Audio makes very nice stuff. Not tried their vibe but it's on my list.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I have an EVH Phase 90 and a Fulltone Deja 2. I use my Phase 90 in script mode 95% of the time, but I bought it before the script reissue came out. I used to have a late 70s script Phase 90, but the EVH sounds just as good with a far better bypass. If you want the same tone with greater versatility, look into the Retro Sonic Phaser.

I haven't really used my Phase 90 since acquiring my Deja 2. It's big and the AC cord is a pain, but it sounds amazing. In fact its quite difficult to do better in terms of tone without spending double or more. If you're considering a Fulltone vibe, the Deja 2 or Mini Deja 3 are the ones to go with. The regular Deja Vibe doesn't have a treadle, and it's impossible to toggle bypass on the Mini Deja 2 without adjusting the speed. One of my favorite features of the Deja 2 is the ability to set a specific speed and toggle bypass on and off.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Comment

I'm a shameless TC Electronic ho, but I've been really happy with my Viscous Vibe, and have been planning on getting a Helix phaser.

The options you can tweak with the TonePrint software really does go beyond just about anything else out there.

Hell, Devin Townsend seems to be fond of them.. Viscous Vibe... Helix... umm... might be some language in those two... "That lizard is clearly up to no good," however, is one of the funniest lines I've ever heard in a review.
                            Last edited by jtougas; 06-02-2016, 11:08 PM.
                            "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Too many choices man

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
                              X