Big Muff: BYOC vs EHX vs ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Muff: BYOC vs EHX vs ??

Is there much sense in putting to work into building a big muff clone (like BYOC or Mammoth) over buying a EHX Big Muff Pi Nano? The BYOC would need to be true bypassed of course. [emoji14]

Are there any other good big muff style pedals that do a better job in the same price range?

Re: Big Muff: BYOC vs EHX vs ??

The EHX is a great one to dip your toe in the water, and to eventually figure out where you want to go. Also, the NYC (massive box) is easy to modify, if you want to go that route. The BYOC can be built as the revered Triangle and Ram's Head Muffs from the 70's. If you want to duplicate those sounds, that's a good route, as it's cheaper than the boutique clones. Also, the BYOC is a great platform for mods as well. Tone stack mods like Full mids, alternate clipping diodes, etc.

Enjoy the process!
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

So a BYOC would be the more expensive, bit more adjustable route?

The Big Muff NYC is just soo huge! I have heard the nano and it have almost identical circuitry. The NYC would be easier to mod down the road i guess.
      Last edited by TRex; 06-07-2016, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I just built a BYOC Triangle Li'l Beaver and I'm liking it.

I installed a Flat Mids switch that works great.

stilwel
        My YouTube Videos click HERE
        My Soundclick Site for Audio Clips click HERE

Comment

Originally posted by stilwel View Post
          I just built a BYOC Triangle Li'l Beaver and I'm liking it.

I installed a Flat Mids switch that works great.

Nice, how hard was it to make? How did you add the flat mid switch?

From sound samples and descriptions, i think a russian muff clonde would be the way to go. The BYOC lil russian beaver being one of the better kit options.

Comment

Originally posted by TRex View Post
            Nice, how hard was it to make? How did you add the flat mid switch?
            Making the basic kit is pretty simple if you have decent soldering skills. The flat mids switch is super-easy. It's simply a switch to swap between two different capacitors in the tone circuit. If you look at the schematic for the BYOC Large Beaver you can see what the rotary switch is doing to the circuit and use those cap values in the mod.

You also replace the cap to give you flat or boosted mids all the time without a switch.
            stilwel
            My YouTube Videos click HERE
            My Soundclick Site for Audio Clips click HERE

Comment

Originally posted by stilwel View Post
              Making the basic kit is pretty simple if you have decent soldering skills. The flat mids switch is super-easy. It's simply a switch to swap between two different capacitors in the tone circuit. If you look at the schematic for the BYOC Large Beaver you can see what the rotary switch is doing to the circuit and use those cap values in the mod.

You also replace the cap to give you flat or boosted mids all the time without a switch.
              Nice! Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X