banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you using a buffer on your pedal board? Is so, which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are you using a buffer on your pedal board? Is so, which one?

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Which one? The FZ-5 is a digital COSM modeling box. The older FZ-2 and FZ-3 are flat out fuzz machines, they seem to take a buffered signal, buzz saw it, then output it. They don't interact with the guitar quite like vintage fuzz might, and the circuits were definitely designed with their buffers in mind.
    I'd have to dig up the video but probably the 5. I'm guessing it was late 2000's.

Comment

I use a Pickup Booster, but only with single coils. I am not anti or pro buffer, though. I don't care- whatever sounds good. I don't use a ton of cable, though.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Boss TU-3
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by TeleJr24 View Post
          I found that when I play at bedroom levels I don't have any issue with using all true bypass pedals. Everything comes through and sounds great. But when I crank it up I get this high end that I can't get rid of. I thought it was an issue with my distortion pedals (wampler sovereign and MI Audio Blues Pro) so I was going to go buy some other pedals with an active eq (treble, mid and bass) to try to tame the high end. My amp is a Fender Pro Jr which I put into a different cabinet with a Eminence Texas heat 12" speaker. I also figured with such a simple amp I needed more tonal control. So anyway, I decided to get out my old Boss OD-3 to see if I had the same problem. Well I did not - of course it wasn't as dynamic as my other pedals though. but with the Boss in front of my Blues Pro, it made the high end problem go away. I think it is the buffer that helped out. What do you all think? It's almost the opposite of what has been said. Instead of adding back high end, I get rid of it. Or am I just crazy?
          Yep, now your're getting it. It is not always just about the high end loss and muddled headroom a buffer fixes, it is sometimes the interaction of various pedals and an overall sonic treatment that just about any rig can benefit. Ideal has always been a buffer up front, bypass in the middle and a end buffer if you drive cables back to the amp line.
          Of course if you have just one buffer in there maybe mid chain that does the deal as well or you might find putting a buffer between two pedals that do not like each other fixes the sonic issue.
          Quality is a personal issue and if you're more of a top shelf gear strive'r, a use what you have, or a bargain hunter of cheaper stuff. There is always a solution, just depends on what you want and how far you want to take it. For ages I never knew what a buffer or bypass even was or anything technical about it. Never hurts to learn. BTW, a simple test of true bypass is if the pedal passes a signal with no battery or power to it. If it does not you are dealing with a buffered circuit.

I think it's time to discuss the way Hendrix ran his rig and how he used cap loading to pull off his tinny high end from those old Strats with not so amazing pickups.
          He used a 20ft curly cable which in those days were not the high quality copper and better shielding we can get today. It rolled off his high end and the mids and lows got buried in his amp volume. He used to do this trick using the Fuzz Face as there was not such thing as overdrives back then or relatively any significant pedals to speak of, Roger Mayer and Hendrix are due credit for starting the real pedal craze age of the guitar.
          Anyway, Jimi would get his Fuzz set to where it sounded good to him and roll off his guitar volume till the fuzz stopped clipping, this was his clean sound that was always so good. He was creating a quasi clean boost/overdrive with what was available. Back in that era quality control was a joke, especially on things like pedals, no two of them ever really sounded exactly alike. Things with buffered circuits like the old Univibe were horrible tone suckers and no two of them sounded the same. So when you see an old vintage wonder for mega bucks you might consider some of them did not sound that great when they were new much less many decades down the pike.
          Hendrix would often go through a box of Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face's trying to find any that had the perfect by chance magic diodes that worked the best.
          So he rolled off the brittle high end of his Strat and used the Fuzz Face as a clean boost and made the best of any present buffers the best he could.
          He also used the Vox wah as he said the Crybaby did not do well in front of the Fuzz Face, which was a buffer issue.
          Old style fuzz circuits are made to react to the guitars high impedance signal, they do not do well with most buffers. More modern fuzz circuits can handle low impedance.
          All I can recommend is you just try the buffer thing and maybe in several applications you might be surprised how it helps or that you do not need it. Never hurts to experiment a little.
          Last edited by Gainstage; 06-11-2016, 06:01 PM.
          "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
          You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

Working...
          X