Trouble with wah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with wah

Hoping that somebody can help me out with my wah. When I move to the toe down position and make contact with the switch (but not actually click it on/off) I get an audible tick/click sound through the amp. This happened with the original switch and happens with my new true bypass switch too. The wah is a Vox V847. Any thoughts?

Re: Trouble with wah

Is the switch at the right height? Too high or low can cause problems. If you had it happen with two switches, it's probably not the switch.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I have adjusted the switch height from way high to nearly too low to engage. Same problem.

Comment

Well you have a coil in there, it will make mechanical sounds.
        Got any felt between the rocker and the switch?

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
          Well you have a coil in there, it will make mechanical sounds.
          Got any felt between the rocker and the switch?
          Hmm. I'll have to check. Thanks for the idea

Comment

Are you daisy chaining the power supply?
            Bypass switches especially build up a charge and often pop. Sounds like switch charge popping. Stop daisy chaining power or perhaps a good buffer after the wah might help. Assuming in general the switch itself is not bad...
            "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
            You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

As I am lazy sunday beridden bugger....
              Read this...

Comment

Originally posted by Gainstage View Post
                Are you daisy chaining the power supply?
                Bypass switches especially build up a charge and often pop. Sounds like switch charge popping. Stop daisy chaining power or perhaps a good buffer after the wah might help. Assuming in general the switch itself is not bad...
                1) There's felt under the rocker/treadle.
                2) Wah is powered by battery.

To clarify, it's not a matter of popping when switched on/off. The sound comes when the switch "button" is pressed ALMOST all the way to make it switch on/off. It's when the "male" part of the switch taps/makes contact with the last bit of the "female" cylinder just before the switch engages. Essentially, I can't use the last bit of forward treble sweep of the wah without hearing "tick."

Comment

Well that you cannot avoid!

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                    Well that you cannot avoid!
                    But my Thomas Organ Crybaby doesn't do this. I just want to make my Vox quiet too. Confused.

Comment

Well a switch that is mechanical...it makes a sound when switched on and off!!!
                      Some switches makes more noise than others...just the nature of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X