No announcement yet.

Not a pedal but it does some very interesting things - bbe sonic maximizer 422a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a pedal but it does some very interesting things - bbe sonic maximizer 422a

Picked this thing up at swap meet for $20. Had no idea what it was but for that price I figured it would at least look impressive even if it didn't do diddily squat. But hey, hey, it is a remarkable contraption that I have had no end of fun (wife says I'm easily amused) with over the last week. I have run it through several sets of speakers using guitars, keyboards and even an MP3 player.

I can't clearly explain what it does but in vague terms it seems to add clarity without harshness to music. It's kind of like when I first heard YG Acoustics Anat Reference II speakers a few years ago (yeah. I wish that is what this thing does). Well it's not that dramatic but it really does a good job of cleaning up the sound.

Anyone have any experience with this type of device? Any and information will be much. Appreciated.

Re: Not a pedal but it does some very interesting things - bbe sonic maximizer 422a

I've got at least three versions of this. It's a fun device. Like the worlds coolest bass and treble controls. It just does what it does.

Comment

Re: Not a pedal but it does some very interesting things - bbe sonic maximizer 422a

It's not just an mere EQ, a compressor or parametric.
      I actually have three of these in my rack two TS units and one TRS/XLR line level unit .Each runs on an separate lines, no cascading as that would be completely stupid.

When loudspeakers emit frequencies due to the basic physics involved, some frequencies reach the ear in lag with others. This is caused by the inherent nature of how speakers work and produce sound we also know frequencies relate to speed of the wave.
      The BBE corrects the phase time lag by inverting the entire frequency range output so all frequencies reach the ear at the same time. The result is a clarity, punch and headroom that pretty much sounds like you took a blanket off your speakers. It will improve the clarity, punch and headroom of any instrument on any rig as it is correcting a fundamental limitation of loudspeakers.

I have seen a lot of arguments and so on about these units and I have seen them thoroughly tested and measured on analyzers it does what BBE says it does. Some recording mavens ran into issues because the phase inversion process does not work on playback, it is live sound thing. It can brighten up and enhance an acoustic track and so forth but the process is designed to work on live sound. Put one of these on the bands PA just before the power amps and you will never be without one.

The low contour control induces an EQ tight Q bump at 50hz up to 12db and on the process control a bump at 5KHz. The unit should never be used but around 11:00-1:00 it is not an "effect" per se', the slight EQ bump serves to enhance slightly at those points. You do not want to crank this device, that is not what it is for.
      The phase correction takes place regardless of the process knobs, those are just there to add a little sparkle presence or a little low end punch.
      The unit in general will enhance your overall tone quality but must be used as designed. The closer it is to the final stage power amp the better.

I had one these ages ago on my stereo and loved what it did listening to music. I first heard of using one on the guitar from Mustaine in Megadeth.
      Guitar Player awarded it the most important sonic enhancement for a mere $100 you will ever spend. The simpler units are only around a $100 the line level XLR model is more about $250 I think. of course you can find them used for much less.

I started using them on my guitar rigs for the last decade. I run multiple stereo feeds and each one has one of these units (they never double up or anything).
      When I used one on my guitar synth rig it came alive with vibrant clarity and headroom and these were EC 15" fullrange speakers. On my std guitar rig the sound is just so much better, these just stay on all the time. My std guitar cab is loaded with 4 Eminence Man O' War 12s and these are high wattage efficient speakers yet the BBE makes them sound even better.

I really would not be without one. I run a very unconventional rig stemming from my prior guitar synth rig and multiple rigs.
      The difference is night and day, and my normal sound is really good, not one time has anyone not been impressed by them on my rigs and wanted to go out the next day and get one.
      There is a wealth of information on BBE.com if anyone can read.
      Last edited by Gainstage; 06-17-2016, 03:36 AM.
      "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
      You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

I have two of the mono units. I do like the sound on certain live sources, so I thought two would be awesome as parallel drum buss processors, like using an Aphex -- that turned out to be a disaster, the phase was all sorts of screwed up when paralleled against the drum buss.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I use a pedal version with my acoustic.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I use the same pedal one for my acoustic. I love the bass that it adds. It is like an octave lower, but it isn't. It is like added harmonics. But it makes any acoustic I have used sound 'better' plugged in.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have one running through the effects loop of a Randall RG100 ES. Massive.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can get them post preamp close as possible to the final power amp stage they work so much better. If you process or EQ after them they cannot work as designed,
                Many top notch reviews and technical users have commented it is the best thing you are ever going to do to enhance the sound of your rig and the cost is quite nominal.
                Mine stay on all the time and the tones are tweaked with it on. The phase correction just makes the sound more pleasing and less fatiguing to the ear.
                "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
                You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Gainstage View Post
                  If you can get them post preamp close as possible to the final power amp stage they work so much better. If you process or EQ after them they cannot work as designed,
                  Many top notch reviews and technical users have commented it is the best thing you are ever going to do to enhance the sound of your rig and the cost is quite nominal.
                  Mine stay on all the time and the tones are tweaked with it on. The phase correction just makes the sound more pleasing and less fatiguing to the ear.
                  That sounds like a very interesting proposition. Would you be able to show a wiring diagram for a 5F1 amp that is configured that way?
                  (I chose the 5F1 because I have a couple to toy with and. It is a very basic circuit to learn on.)

Comment

I run my acoustic through a Boss CS-3 (monte Allums, A zoom pedal, and more). After all that crap I kick the maximizer back in and BAM - sound is awesome. Punch, thump, and shimmer!!!!

Comment

Def a cool piece,esp for $20!!!
                      "Scalloped & Stickered"
                      A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

This makes me want to put mine back in the effects loop.

I'm glad you like it. It's fun when blind buys pay off. \m/,
                        For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Just recorded with one in the loop. Will post recording soon. Bought it off the engineer. Tinkering with it and considering it to run it always in the loop ....
                          Active Duty Rig:
                          MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                          Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

I used to use a VST version of a BBE Sonic Maximizer and it was great at making heavy guitars sound even heavier.

Really easy to overdo as well. Best used sparingly.
                            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Much like a Compressor. Just until YOU notice it. Then back off.

Comment

Working...
                              X