That 80's Rack Chorus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That 80's Rack Chorus?

I didn't want to hijack loversmoon's thread, but I never heard of one of these before someone mentioned it in his "Chorus" thread. This thang:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fulltone_chorus.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	5841056

This is the Fulltone clone of the original. These things appear to be highly coveted, with originals selling for thousands. Even Fulltone's clone is pushing a grand. From what I've read about this, it's basically three chorus pedals arranged in a left/center/right configuration. The tinkerer in me can't help but wonder if you could get close to the same affect by paralleling three "ordinary" chorus' through a small, inexpensive mixer.

Thoughts?

Artie

Re: That 80's Rack Chorus?

I believe the TC Corona has a Tri-Chorus tone print. Strymon certainly has it.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

^Not even close!

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
        ^Not even close!
        Ok. I've obviously never played an original. My Rhodes isn't even Dyno'ed.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

They are nice simulations....but they are stuck at being simulations, they lack the whole depth and width of these old machines!
          For Artie.....yeah you can mix three mono chorus pedals in parallel, but they lack that extra thing old BBD's has.
          It will for sure be spacious and such....
          If you can ever try any old Roland Dimension D, or some of those old Lexicons and such, you will notice that they sound much bigger and more lush and all those worn out adjectives.
          Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 06-18-2016, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I figured as much, but wanted to ask.

Comment

Hmm well you could buy some parts put one together yourself
              We are fiddeling with a 5 head echo right now....it is crazy good fun

Comment

That Fulltone unit is based off the Songbird Tri-Stereo Chorus rackmount from the 80s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	songbird.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	5793239

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  The tinkerer in me can't help but wonder if you could get close to the same affect by paralleling three "ordinary" chorus' through a small, inexpensive mixer.

Thoughts?

Artie
                  You could get a similar effect by triple-tracking (pan each track L, C, R) or using a harmonizer.

Comment

I just might try that. It would be fun to see how rich I could a get chorus to sound.

Comment

I am the one that posted that pic. Sorry to send you down the rabbit hole lol (not really)
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Well, the good news is, this one may not cost me anything. I already have several flavors of chorus, and a mixer. So I can get started cheap.

Comment

Are you going to split your guitar signal? Or use aux sends and returns?
                          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Is that really all it is? Three BBD chorus lines, one left channel, one right channel and one "center"?
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

More or less yes. But there is a rather big difference in the BBD chips of then and now.

Comment

Working...
                              X