banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a few words about brands and people who judge them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Lysergene
    Tone Member

• Lysergene
    replied
    Re: I have a few words about brands and people who judge them.

Originally posted by Help!I'maRock! View Post
    There's a huge difference between using specific parts to achieve a sound vs. cheaping out on parts for profit.

As for the OP, play what you want to get the sound in your head. Worrying about what others think is futile.
    Totally agree. I still own most of the pedals I have bought over the years.

Leave a comment:

• Help!I'maRock!

• Help!I'maRock!
    replied

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
    Agreed... Sometimes the difference in sound is just a difference in sound. It may be lower quality parts making that sound difference; but even Brian Wampler has said that top shelf parts are not necessarily the way to go. Some of his designs use really cheap components in certain areas of the circuit because the sound he was looking for couldn't be achieved with the equivalent value hi-fi component.
    There's a huge difference between using specific parts to achieve a sound vs. cheaping out on parts for profit.

As for the OP, play what you want to get the sound in your head. Worrying about what others think is futile.

Leave a comment:

• Lysergene
    Tone Member

• Lysergene
    replied

I'm in debt, but it has been worth it.

Leave a comment:

• ThisDyingSoul76
    Toneologist

• ThisDyingSoul76
    replied

Originally posted by Lysergene View Post
    That's how I learned to make stuff sound good.... by learning what all the parameters mean, not by throwing a million bucks at the problem and expecting results.
    That's the key to it all, right there. Maybe certain pieces of gear won't get the sound you want or there will be aspects of that piece you can't get rid of by tweaking parameters; but if you know how to use it, you can get a good sound from it no matter what it costs.

With modelling, if I could afford an Axe Effects; I'd definitely look into them. They are known to be the best modelling tech out there right now. The stuff in my price range, while getting better, is lacking something in the way it responds to the player...that said, Vox is probably ahead of most in the low to mid priced modelling amps. If an Axe Effects was in my price range, and I found it to respond my touch the way tubes do; I'd provably go for it for the exact reason you're using them... To be able to pull up the sounds of several make/model amplifier without lugging several expensive and potentially temperamental tube amps around.

Leave a comment:

• ThisDyingSoul76
    Toneologist

• ThisDyingSoul76
    replied

Originally posted by DinoTrousers View Post
    The tools are what you make of them. Ignoring Behringer's really nice new digital mixers (The X32 is killer and used a ton professionally), I know several professional musicians who use/have used behringer stuff. I personally sold the little plastic graphic EQ pedal to Gary Nichols of The Steeldrivers, and I've seen him use it on stage. He just won a Grammy and uses a Behringer pedal on stage.

Gear is a tool. It's what you make of it. I love nice gear. I love high end gear. But nice gear doesn't always have to be high end gear.
    Agreed... Sometimes the difference in sound is just a difference in sound. It may be lower quality parts making that sound difference; but even Brian Wampler has said that top shelf parts are not necessarily the way to go. Some of his designs use really cheap components in certain areas of the circuit because the sound he was looking for couldn't be achieved with the equivalent value hi-fi component.

Leave a comment:

• Phantasmagoria
    watch where you point that sword

• Phantasmagoria
    replied

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.
    Amen ..and not just your tone

Leave a comment:

• Phantasmagoria
    watch where you point that sword

• Phantasmagoria
    replied

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    Huh.

If I dig chocolate ice cream but can't stand vanilla (know what I like), I'm going to say, "vanilla sucks!" in conversations about ice cream.

Am I saying, "all people who like vanilla ice cream suck!"? No, I am simply saying "I don't like vanilla ice cream".
    Can't argue with that if you think Vanilla sucks ..say it (don't be sneaky/clever.) ..your tase is your taste..can't argue with that.

...the problem arises when you say.."Vanilla sucks because it's got no taste (lol..wrong...it HAS) and it's green" (lol...it's WHITE dumbass). So yeah, Get your facts straight first ..or they're very easily straightened out for you

Leave a comment:

• Funkfingers
    Guest replied

For the record, the specific point in the original, longer version of Rodney Gene's post that I agreed with was the line about validating your gear choices by using it to make entertaining music.

Leave a comment:

• LLL
    Mojo's Minions

• LLL
    replied

Huh.

It's simple:

If you know what you like (preference, favorites, etc), then you will have discriminating tastes and you will judge things.

If you don't know what you like, then everything's cool/good and/or you won't have an opinion either way.

(Age/experience plays a big role in the above as well)

If I dig chocolate ice cream but can't stand vanilla (know what I like), I'm going to say, "vanilla sucks!" in conversations about ice cream.

Am I saying, "all people who like vanilla ice cream suck!"? No, I am simply saying "I don't like vanilla ice cream".

And therein lies the problem... other people's perception and the somewhat recent trend of butthurted-ness ("I'm offended.. by everything!").

The lesson, I suppose, is to not associate your self-worth/identity with a product or brand name. But so many do...

The Big Bopper knew what he liked...

LLL
    Mojo's Minions
    Last edited by LLL; 07-09-2016, 11:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chickenwings
    Alnico 6/8

• Chickenwings
    replied

As many of you know i believe that Crusty be made prime minister of Australia.
    If i was American, I would vote for Rodney Gene to be president.

Leave a comment:

• BriGuy1968
    Mojo's Minions

• BriGuy1968
    replied

Originally posted by Funkfingers View Post
    RG. I preferred the earlier version of your post.

On a general level, all humans will seek to justify their gear purchase choices.
    +1 to both points!

Leave a comment:

• Lysergene
    Tone Member

• Lysergene
    replied

....also, for some of these huge posts.... if you feel you need a thousand word essay to prove something as simple as this, you are probably barking up the wrong tree!

Leave a comment:

• Lysergene
    Tone Member

• Lysergene
    replied

Yeah tubes are good, I'm no newcomer to guitar. It just costs a LOT less to fly with an Axe FX than the ten or so amps I would have to use - whether they sound like tubes or not, they sound different to one another and provide what I need.....not to mention the ridiculous chains of effects I can conjure up with one foot.

But I have had to be very resourceful in the past, spending years getting a decent sound out of 'crappy' this or that piece of equipment, because I was skint.

That's how I learned to make stuff sound good.... by learning what all the parameters mean, not by throwing a million bucks at the problem and expecting results.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney Gene
    O.G.

• Rodney Gene
    replied

Originally posted by Funkfingers View Post

On a general level, all humans will seek to justify their gear purchase choices.

There is a prominent member of this forum who possesses enough guitar amplification to furnish a professional recording studio. This character manages to make his guitars sound as if they have been played through a very basic overdrive/distortion pedal. The guy believes that the money he has spent on gear magically makes him sound thousands of Dollars better than some kid with, for the sake of argument, a BOSS DS-1 or an MXR Distortion +.
    Cheers. Thanks brother...sure I understand.

As for my own post, despite my intent to provide clear drops in a murky water, the anonymous unuaccountable forum platform has a way of taking even experienced perspectives and reducing them to pontificating nonsense.
    I organized my own thoughts in the process of writing so no need to keep it online. Great weekend to you, RG

Leave a comment:

• Funkfingers
    Guest replied

There is a prominent member of this forum who possesses enough guitar amplification to furnish a professional recording studio. This character manages to make his guitars sound as if they have been played through a very basic overdrive/distortion pedal. The guy believes that the money he has spent on gear magically makes him sound thousands of Dollars better than some kid with, for the sake of argument, a BOSS DS-1 or an MXR Distortion +.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X