NPD - Joyo British Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD - Joyo British Sound

This arrived just in time. If Canada Post doesn't have an agreement with the union by Monday, we're expecting a strike or lockout situation.

I love this pedal. Doesn't sound like any specific Marshall, but lots of marshallesque tones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	5841108

Re: NPD - Joyo British Sound

More dirty details about the quality of the dirt.
    - What settings do you dig?
    - How does it [play with guitar volume knob?
    - How does it go into amp?
    - How much level kick does it have?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Still working on figuring all that out. I do find it cleans up nicely at low to moderate gain when you roll off the volume. If you have really high gain dialled in, it does respond to the volume knob, but will only clean up so much.

You can plug it in either in front like a traditional pedal or bypass the preamp by plugging into the effect return of your effects loop, making it the preamp. Can also use it for direct recording or straight into a PA... I have found the level when going direct or bypassing the preamp is a bit low in comparison to my amp's built in preamp.

I've managed to dial up sounds reminding me of late 60's and early 70's as well as more modern Marshall style tones. A bit noisy when the gain and voice controls are too high though. When dialing in a sound I tend to leave the gain knob until last and if I turn it up to where it gets noisy, I'll back off to just before the noise makes its big jump.

I haven't really pushed the level yet. It's not really intended to be a boost, but rather creating the dirt into a clean amp. I wouldn't say that it recreates any specific Marshall tones; but it definitely gets you in the ballpark of a Marshall. You can definitely get above unity gain by the 12 o'clock position.

It's basically a clone of one of the TC Electronics Character series pedals. If you can afford them, I say go for them as they are a big better; but for the price it gets the same job done if you're on a tight budget. I haven't compared the two, but according to the YouTube shootouts I've seen, the originals are a bit quieter and have more output on the level control.

Comment

I like mine. I send it into a powered speaker
        Ok to be honest
        I have an American pedal also
        And a ABY pedal
        Oh and two powered speakers
        Also a stereo reverb pedal

I like to mix the two or use one for clean and one for lead

For what they are
        A bar patron wouldn't be able to tell
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I've found I like the voice knob between the 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock positions. Gain around the same range, mids typically around 10 o'clock to 12 o'clock, treble between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock and bass depends how muddy things get when I move the voice knob around.

Like I said great pedal for the price

Comment

Thats the settings range i use on it as well. The bass gets muddy quickly with the voice knob below 11 o'clock. Quite a range of gain available, the guitar volume knob cleanup is okish but digging in harder on the strings is more fun, i find this one a bit more compressed than the actone pedal. I have the american, actone & british. Had the california sound, out grew it quickly. They work very well as dirt boxes in front of an amp too, the knob positions might look weird though but they work nice.

Btw, the character pedals are made by Tech21, not TCE

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
              Thats the settings range i use on it as well. The bass gets muddy quickly with the voice knob below 11 o'clock. Quite a range of gain available, the guitar volume knob cleanup is okish but digging in harder on the strings is more fun, i find this one a bit more compressed than the actone pedal. I have the american, actone & british. Had the california sound, out grew it quickly. They work very well as dirt boxes in front of an amp too, the knob positions might look weird though but they work nice.

Btw, the character pedals are made by Tech21, not TCE
              I always mix up those 2 companies. Lol

I mostly use it in front of the amp.

It's a shame these things don't have a bit more output when using them as a preamp. If it was loud enough, I'd be perfectly ok with dialing in a cleanish tone with an OD in front and keeping it on all the time with my pedalboard straight into the effect return. I guess I could put my Boosta Grande after it and turn it up to just to the point where my output tubes are breaking up then back off a bit.

I'm still trying to get just the right sound from it, but I have other pedals that do the Marshall sound pretty well... Eno Trouble, Caline Rock Face, Marshall GV-2, Visual Sound Son of Hyde... One of my friends has one and pretty well nails the mid to late 70's Jimmy Page tone... A sound I'd find useful but also want to avoid since it's his go to sound when we are jamming.

Comment

I found it alright to max the level knob when using them as a direct to board, i have used the actone that way too. The t21 stuff has a lot more volume available than these & less hiss. Although i just adjust the drive & voice knob till i find a balance between tolerable amount of hiss but boosting these with an od/boost works better since the hiss level doesn't go up as much compared to when you turn up drive knob on these.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                  I found it alright to max the level knob when using them as a direct to board, i have used the actone that way too. The t21 stuff has a lot more volume available than these & less hiss. Although i just adjust the drive & voice knob till i find a balance between tolerable amount of hiss but boosting these with an od/boost works better since the hiss level doesn't go up as much compared to when you turn up drive knob on these.
                  Thanks for the tips. I'll keep that in mind when I decide to try recording again.

Comment

Working...
                  X