I've hit rock bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I've hit rock bottom

Now, I just have to replace the switch. I've noticed a delay where sound cuts out when turning on the pedal. Not sure if this is the switch itself or the PCB it mounts to, but I'm going to do my research and get whatever parts I need to resolve that. It's like a 1 second delay between when I switch the pedal on and the point where sound comes out. Depending how much that will cost I might just keep this pedal for parts and buy another.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      I've spent years trying to dial it in. I run the bass cut at about 4 or 5. Try to set the overall level between -6 and -12 dB's. I physically place the recorder at about 3 1/2' off the floor 7' back from the kick drum in the center of the room. I like the C414 mike preset.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
      Thanks... I've used them for recording classical and they work great for that. Bass cut makes a lot of sense for band rehearsal.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The Metalzone is an awesome tool to have in the arsenal.
        For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

The MZ is a great pedal if used right. Sure,it's not the best "4 all da metalz" but you really can dial in some great tones, I get a nice, thick (though a little treble-high) distortion from it that I use on a lot of songs, and a really nice lo-fi sound that comes across as a louder clean tone played through bad audio equipment (think, the tapping riff in the song Sour from Limp Bizkit's first album).

I find that pedals that model the MZ are better than the MZ itself though, I love the Digitech DF7 and the Zoom MS50g for that.

Comment

One of the best tones I've gotten for heavier music was Metal Zone into the cranked clean channel of a Marshall JCM800 2210 into a 2-15 Fender Showman cab.
            We had no need for a bass player.
            Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

+1 to using it through a clean channel. For death metal, the cleaner the better.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
                My G.A.S. Has gotten so bad, I've got an urge to get a Metal Zone or even a Metal Clone.

After being at a friend's the other week and using his metal zone, I realized the big mistake most people make with it is they crank too much bass and scoop too many mids.

Now I'm curious what kind of sound I can get from one now that I have a decent tube amp instead of the solid state amp I had 25 years ago.

Am I completely insane for even considering revisiting the Metal Zone?
                Gosh I owned one of those forever! it was my favorite pedal until I bought the Digitech Metal zone....
                The metal zone is so over the top amazing... Much love from this guy....
                Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

^^
                  How does the Bloody Mary compare to the Metalzone?

Comment

If you set the Mid Freq to 2 oclock then it's easier to dial in a nice mid tone, the mid freq is what messes it up rather than the mid knob itself (at least, going by the modelled version of it in the DF7).

Comment

Originally posted by geetard View Post
                      If you set the Mid Freq to 2 oclock then it's easier to dial in a nice mid tone, the mid freq is what messes it up rather than the mid knob itself (at least, going by the modelled version of it in the DF7).
                      I have found this too. while one key to a decent sound is to use plenty of mids rather than scooping them out, the mid freq knob is the one that can make or break the tone of the pedal. Dial in a pleading frequency and you're good. Then raise or lower the mids until it's not overly nasal and not overly scooped. If it's muddy, raise treble by just a hair at a time until it starts to get fizzy, then back off a bit.

Comment

Too each their own. I don't care what everyone says, some types of music call for scooped mids.

Comment

I have a scooped mid distortion pedal in case I need/fancy it, but almost never really feel like it. I used to LOVE the scooped sound but now I really don't like it, but yeah, there are times that it might be the best sound for the job.

Comment

Not saying scooped mids are always bad. I just find with the metal zone in particular it doesn't work. Maybe with a pedal that has the 3 knob tone control like an amp ... But the mid freq knob makes it harder for me to dial in a mid scoop tone.

Comment

I used to use it scooped years ago (well, the DF7 on METALZONE setting) and it sounded good to me at the time. I also had it set like that for the guitarist of my first band. When I listen back to our recording sessions, that tone was just nasty though.

Comment

It's supposed to be nasty. It's Metal.

Comment

Working...
                                X