banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could you boost distortion pedal with an OD pedal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you boost distortion pedal with an OD pedal??

I'm so sorry if this is kinda noob question?? But then I'm wondering could you do it?? I can't buy a tube amp or something so I try to find an alternative here

And also can a booster pedal do the trick?? And what's the difference??

Thank you guys for answering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Could you boost distortion pedal with an OD pedal??

It will work.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, the Blackout Musket is a Muff style fuzz that actually has a dedicated preamp boost control to essentially do just that. A hotter signal going into a pedal will overdrive it like any other preamp. Keep in mind that some work better than others, and others don't work at all, depending on what you are expecting.

Comment

Yes, people do it all the time, set up the distortion pedal as your crunchy "channel", then set the OD with the gain low and the output high and hit that for your solo channel, at least as a start, experiment from there.

Of course, if the amp you are using doesn't have a good basic tone, don't expect miracles.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
          Yeah, the Blackout Musket is a Muff style fuzz that actually has a dedicated preamp boost control to essentially do just that. A hotter signal going into a pedal will overdrive it like any other preamp. Keep in mind that some work better than others, and others don't work at all, depending on what you are expecting.
          Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          It will work.

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          Yes, people do it all the time, set up the distortion pedal as your crunchy "channel", then set the OD with the gain low and the output high and hit that for your solo channel, at least as a start, experiment from there.

Of course, if the amp you are using doesn't have a good basic tone, don't expect miracles.
          Okay so it will work... Say, could ibanez SD9M get a good result when paired with boss SD-1 Super OD??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I don't know the SD9M but I have a SD-1 in front of my Keeley MT-2 Metalzone for when I just want a bit more hair. I like it.

Comment

Of course!!! LOL, I'd be completely lost if I couldn't stack O.D.'s, Boost, Fuzz, & Distortion pedals. You'll find that some will work better than others, but it's definitely a great way to get super thick and also much more complex distortions. It also opens up a whole new world of dirty tonal possibilities...

Personally I keep the gain on most of my dirt boxes set between 9:00-12:00, (relatively low) so I'll get a nice crunchy clean signal from one of them & then I can kick on another to release shear flipping carnage!!! It's kinda the same principle as pushing a dirty tube amp with a Tube Screamer except everything happens in front of the amp?

Pushing a nice thick Fuzz pedal with a good transparent O.D. through a tube amp is a personal favorite of mine!!!! Especially when the amp is set to the point where it's just starting to break up when you really dig into the strings....
              I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

As others have said it will work. Try different pedal combinations and try them in different positions of the signal path. What sounds awesome to you may sound horrible to someone else but typically any tube screamer style OD before another pedal can get pretty nice results.

If you don't want the mid bump of a TS, look for a more transparent OD like a Soul Food or other Klon copy or a Timmy or something. Anything goes really, but it may take some experimentation to find that ideal pairing.

A clean boost like the EHX LPB-1 or BBE Boosta Grande or Keeley Katana will work too.

I have a Boosta Grande as the last pedal of my gain section because rather than push the pedals, I want more of whatever sound I get from them... But as you turn up the dial, I find there is a point just above unity gain where my tone just gets thicker and fuller but this may be the tubes of my amp compressing as the boost pushes them. Putting it before the OD or distortion pedal will get similar results but with the pedal being the thing that is pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by arwanfarizi11 View Post
                  Okay so it will work... Say, could ibanez SD9M get a good result when paired with boss SD-1 Super OD??
                  Yes, that should work nicely. THe SD9M is a nice sounding high gain distortion pedal.

Comment

SD(M is an awesome all around OD to Distortion pedal. The right kick in the front could be awesome. Or even after…just for more volume after an already great sound if you like the same lead/rhythm tone.

Experiment until you find what you like.

I use a Pure Boost after a Black Secret just to make solos louder on my mini board.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

do a search on youtube for "that pedal show" and "gain stacking". That Pedal Show has some great videos of how to use pedals.
                      1996 Fender Custom Shop Tele Jr #24 out of 25
                      Modified 1980's Kramer with classic cover 59n/59b
                      1991 Ibanez 540sltd with a JB in the bridge
                      Warmoth VW with a Custom in the bridge
                      USA Custom Guitars hollow strat with P90s
                      MIJ Fender Strat (1984 - 1987)

Peavey Transtube 212 Special, Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber +
                      Orange Micro Terror, Fender Pro Jr. (w/ Eminence Texas Heat)

Comment

Originally posted by TeleJr24 View Post
                        do a search on youtube for "that pedal show" and "gain stacking". That Pedal Show has some great videos of how to use pedals.
                        They also have a great video on suggested pedal order that you should check out; got me to try some things I've never done like putting a compressor after an OD.

Half of the fun of playing with dirt boxes is finding ones that play nice with each other. Like others have said, try a few out and see what you like - happy hunting!

Comment

Hmm, compressor after overdrive. And then into dirt? That could be interesting, maybe I'll give it a try.

Comment

Yes, I stack overdrive and distortion pedals all the time. It will fatten up a guitars find big time.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Hmm, compressor after overdrive. And then into dirt? That could be interesting, maybe I'll give it a try.

Yep.

Compression effect - before OD
                              Boost - after OD

Putting the OD in front gives the comp more signal to work with.

Comment

Working...
                              X