Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a pedal to boost a cranked Marshall Silver Jubilee

Howdy!

I've a 2015 Marshall Silver Jubilee that I love but need it to have a bit more bite and aggressiveness. I love the tone but just need a more punch. Currently, I've the amp's gain cranked to 10. I'm looking for a classic rock on steroids type of tone. Kinda of Dean DeLeo's tone on Stone Temple Pilots Purple album. Gnarly and big but without getting into the metal territory. Any suggestions? Thanks beforehand!

Re: Help me choose a pedal to boost a cranked Marshall Silver Jubilee

z.vex SHO.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Boosta Grande clean boost, Tube Screamer, Timmy (if this is beyond your budget, I hear Caline makes a clone called Pure Sky that gets pretty darn close... Havent compared them, but I have a Timmy and am thinking of getting the Calone just for curiousity's sake. An OCD could be an option too.

Comment

Id start with an sd-1 and go from there.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Bad Monkey

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd say you need to learn how to use the EQ and gain controls….turn the Gain down!

Plus, one amp ain't gonna do it. He runs a stereo rig. Vox plus Marshalls I think…
            Last edited by Aceman; 07-03-2016, 04:48 PM.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

footswitch
              Wackor
              Ørdøg
              NecroPolo
              Diabolus in Musica
              SIDrip Alliance
              Book of Shadows
              RKH

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                ….turn the Gain down!
                This is what I was thinking as well.

Comment

Ultra gain on that will go mush.

I honestly can't think of anything but the deathest of metal/Pantera etc that I wouldn't play on that. IF that's what you are doing, you got the wrong amp.

Seriously though - that amp is never a bad choice.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Keeley Katana. Knob in it's clean boost as clean as clean can be. Yes, it will give you punch.
                    Pull the knob out and it turns into a top boost.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe try a few and see how the amp responds, all pedals and amps react differently chemistry wise not to mention the players technique and style.
                      Getting things on line makes for an easy trial and error thing, just save all packing material and repackage like it came you can send anything back in a few days with no problems.
                      Recommending pedals always has the problem of them not liking the rig someone has while sounding great on another. Some great recommends to try. My last Marshall was a bit of different beast, it hated some pedals I had and I had to find what worked better with it. Cool amp. Deserves a quality pedal.
                      "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
                      You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

Keep the gain around 7. The Jubilee has enough gain that it almost doesn't matter what kind of OD pedal you use with it. You'll be using the OD pedal with very subtle settings anyway, and the Jubilee isn't very picky.

I've used the Boss OD-3, SD-1, OD-1, MXR Classic OD, Zakk Wylde OD, Way Huge Green Rhino, Tubescreamer, Klon, Barber......you name it. It doesn't matter. They all work good as long as they're not distortion pedals.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                          Keep the gain around 7. The Jubilee has enough gain that it almost doesn't matter what kind of OD pedal you use with it. You'll be using the OD pedal with very subtle settings anyway, and the Jubilee isn't very picky.

I've used the Boss OD-3, SD-1, OD-1, MXR Classic OD, Zakk Wylde OD, Way Huge Green Rhino, Tubescreamer, Klon, Barber......you name it. It doesn't matter. They all work good as long as they're not distortion pedals.
                          +1

You may be able to get away with the gain on 8 depending on how hot your pickups are.

My first thought was "How loud are you playing?". My 2555 doesn't even start to give up the goods until it's around 2.5 on the output master and doesn't really sound that good until 4 or higher. If you mostly play to four walls, you bought waaaaaaaaaaay too much amp.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Also, how do you have the tone controls set? The Jubilee really thrives on midrange, and scooping the mids just guts the tone. I typically have mine EQ'd with bass 6-8, mid 6-8, treble around 5 and presence at 4-5.

Preamp tubes can also make a difference. My Jubilee sounds very bland with JJs and weak with GTs, but it loves 12AX7EHs. Different power tubes make almost zero difference in tone unless you're playing skull-crushing loud.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Green Rhino is really cool, it has a lot of gain on tap so you don't need to dial in so much gain on the Jubilee, or you could go for a TS9DX, the DX has a cool knob that kinda thickens up the higher setting you put it at.
                              Guitars: Kiesel Bolt Classic, Strandberg Boden Standard 7, Jackson DXMG (Japan) & Charvel Model 5.

Amps: Marshall 1959slp & Peavey 5150 (Block Letter)

Comment

Working...
                              X