Clean boost for the FX loop only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean boost for the FX loop only?

I have an AMT SS-20 for which crunch and lead share the same volume control, clean channel has its own volume control. I set the gain I want for lead then the volume to kind of match the clean volume which I use as my "volume reference", this to play metal rythm. When I want to play classic rock I crank the crunch gain and set my guitar volume around 5, this makes it clean up nicely at edge of breakup and then I can use dynamics+volume control to increase my volume/gain as needed, the thing is when I roll back the volume knob it is not loud enough to match the clean channel volume which I said is my "volume reference".

Because of this I want to put a clean boost in the FX loop so it allows me to (1) Turn the boost on to set my edge of breakup volume to match my "clean channel volume reference" which is as loud as my metal rythm sound, also (2) Turn the boost on to make my high gain sound louder for solos.

Below a list of boosts I can get from a nice pedal store in town. Which of these you think is a good choice? Any other you suggest not listed there?

Last edited by IMENATOR; 07-04-2016, 08:52 AM.
    Who took my guitar?

Re: Clean boost for the FX loop only?

I also wonder if true bypass can make a big noticeable pop when playing high gain and turning it on and off in the FX loop, maybe buffered is better for that?. For my classic rock sound that would not be a problem as I would keep it on during the whole set of songs.
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

True bypass can certainly make a pop, depending on how it is designed. Also, be careful about boosting the volume in the effects loop: it is usually between the preamp and power amp, and some amps are very particular about the signal level here. You may find it easier to just switch the knobs on the amp if you need to change styles.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        True bypass can certainly make a pop, depending on how it is designed.
        I guess I either test them or just go for a buffered one.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Also, be careful about boosting the volume in the effects loop: it is usually between the preamp and power amp, and some amps are very particular about the signal level here. You may find it easier to just switch the knobs on the amp if you need to change styles.
        Yes, my SS-20 is real tube based preamp in pedal format, my guitar power amp is an ISP Stealth. Boosting a lower siginal for classic rock would not be prone to this problem but boosting the loud one may have this issue, now you got me thinking about this. Reading the stealth manual it has maximum input = +17dBu. For the SS-20 the output signal that feeds the power amp is +10dB (I assume they mean it is max output). So yes, maybe I need to be careful that the boost for the classic rock sound is not gonna clip the input of the power amp when boosting the metal sound. Maybe I need to keep in my radar to try also a volume cut for the metal rather than a volume boost for the classic rock. But it may not be an issue considering the shared volume knob of the preamp is never above 2 PM.

Botom line: throw me your suggestions and I will try to test them
        Last edited by IMENATOR; 07-04-2016, 09:53 AM.
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

Rather than a boost, you might want to try a volume pedal in the loop, so you cut volume rather than boost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Has the added benefit of being always on - neither buffered nor true bypass.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
              Has the added benefit of being always on - neither buffered nor true bypass.

But I need my clean channel as a volume reference, it would be louder/quieter with the volume pedal always on.
              Who took my guitar?

Comment

I'm kinda mad that this seems to be the regular price now as I paid $80 for mine on sale.

LOL
                Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                  But I need my clean channel as a volume reference, it would be louder/quieter with the volume pedal always on.
                  I was thinking dial back the volume pedal, adjust/reset clean reference, then use vol pedal to act as your 'boost'. My volume pedal has an adjustable floor, so all the way up isn't off, but just a set amount of cut.

If you go the boost route then the Spark Mini is my weapon of choice.

Comment

Looking up the manual for the SS-20, it looks like the loop is instrument level (-10dB) which is good for what you want to do. I would pick a clean boost pedal, like has been mentioned, the TC Spark Booster should work great. the Suhr Iso Boost would probably work great too, but it's about 2X the cost. I would avoid using an OD or distortion pedal in the loop, it probably won't sound right.

Manual in english is here - http://amtelectronics.com/new/manual...manual-ENG.pdf you have to look at the send and return levels for what you want to do, not the input and output levels. I would definitely run it in the loop, not after the preamp.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                      Looking up the manual for the SS-20, it looks like the loop is instrument level (-10dB) which is good for what you want to do. I would pick a clean boost pedal, like has been mentioned, the TC Spark Booster should work great. the Suhr Iso Boost would probably work great too, but it's about 2X the cost. I would avoid using an OD or distortion pedal in the loop, it probably won't sound right.

Manual in english is here - http://amtelectronics.com/new/manual...manual-ENG.pdf you have to look at the send and return levels for what you want to do, not the input and output levels. I would definitely run it in the loop, not after the preamp.
                      The Spark Booster mini seems to have a lot of love in other forums too. About putting it in the -10dB loop of the SS-20, I am not really sure, I think in real amps they add some attenuation to avoid clipping the power amp input and in this one I would think activating the pedal for lets say 9 db of clean boost would still make the signal feeding the my power amp 9 dB louder anyway. But your suggestion still sounds very interesting and definitely gonna try that, along with a question to the AMT support guys at Siberia.
                      Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                        I was thinking dial back the volume pedal, adjust/reset clean reference, then use vol pedal to act as your 'boost'. My volume pedal has an adjustable floor, so all the way up isn't off, but just a set amount of cut.

If you go the boost route then the Spark Mini is my weapon of choice.

I see what you mean, it is just that it is been a practice of mine forever to set the clean channel volume to smehting that can pair with the band and then set my distorted level accordingly. Once I set the clean channel to match the band I don't need them to play again to set my overdrive/distortion, I just comapare my overdrive/distortion volume with my clean volume... and that is another one for the spark mini, interesting.
                        Who took my guitar?

Comment

Let me know what Sergei says, but yes, that should work fine. It definitely won't hurt anything, if the signal is too hot it will just clip some although I'm guessing it is designed with plenty of headroom, AMT stuff usually seems to be overdesigned.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                            Let me know what Sergei says, but yes, that should work fine. It definitely won't hurt anything, if the signal is too hot it will just clip some although I'm guessing it is designed with plenty of headroom, AMT stuff usually seems to be overdesigned.
                            Basically they said it is just a matter of finding the available headroom before clipping, like setting my volume at the preamp then engage the clean boost and increase its gain before clipping (either the stealth or the SS-20,who knows) and that is my max available clean boost for the corresponding preamp volume. No comments about "damaging" anything and I don't think so either.

So far the TC Spark Mini seems to be the most favored. If were for the graphic eq instead and for what I have read the MX M109 sounds like a good and affordable option.
                            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                            X