banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overdrive or boost that does not emphasize pick attack noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive or boost that does not emphasize pick attack noise?

If this does not exist please just tell me so.
    I am looking for a boost pedal or overdrive or some pedal that will goose my Randall RG100ES but NOT the pick attack noise on single notes.
    I recently tried 4 or 5 boost pedals: LPB-1, Spark Mini, RC Boost, EP, and a super cheap Tomsline. All of them dramatically increase the pick noise when I play single notes. Kind of a "schquick!" sound.
    So then I thought maybe a compressor. Tried a Joyo, MXR Super Comp, and Philosopher's Tone. I am keeping the MXR because it does nice things to my amp when the volume is cranked & attack is all the way "up" (slowest). But it is still not quite what I am looking for. I want a thicker sound, volume boost, and more sustain. The comp gives me boost and sustain but doesn't really thicken the sound. It actually gives it more bite.
    For years I have used an EQ pedal, which gives me the thicker tone but not significantly more sustain. The comp & eq together are noisy as hell & less than the sum of the two parts.
    I am running the lower gain channel cranked, but it is not a full-on distortion, more like breakup/crunch. If I use the high-gain channel I get the sustain and scorch but then there is no headroom for volume boost and the pick noise gets a lot louder.
    Is there any pedal that might do what I want? OR is there a mod to cut some highs from the comp?

Is this a reasonable quest, or am I asking for a unicorn that poops fresh cheeseburgers?
    Last edited by Dave Locher; 07-04-2016, 11:24 PM.

Re: Overdrive or boost that does not emphasize pick attack noise?

Higher output pickups maybe?

Or maybe an 808-type with the tone rolled down very low.

Comment

Yeah, roll down the tone knob..less than halfway should actually be fine..
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Also, a thick, slightly used plec (like a 3mm big stubby ...though a Jazz II/III should do ...and angle it), higher value tone cap, alternate/hybrid picking..etc.
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

How do you hold the pick? Hitting the string with the pick perpendicular to the string will yield the least amount of noise in my experience, especially with rounded picks like Dunlop Gators or Jazz IIIs.

Comment

I'd check the EQ/presence of the amp too. If it's already got a lot of treble based distortion, then the boost is hitting those frequencies even harder, compressing them more and hence enhancing the pick attack. As others have said, roll back the tone on the boost - I would also add that y might want to try out some of the darker fuzz pedals, with the fuzz and tone dialed back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I recently switched from Tortex to Jazz III picks and noticed the pick attack, even at an angle. It's part of the sound to some degree and I have decided to use both Tortex and Jazz III for tracking, for different applications. I can't listen to Tony Iommis' solos now without just hearing that noise!

An OD will only amplify the sound really and a compressor generally allows the attack transient to come through at normal volume before compressing, which will make your issue worse.

The picks and the pickups you use are going to be the main culprits. Try lots of different picks.

New pickup selection is a rabbit hole!

EDIT: The Seymour Duncan Killing Floor Boost pedal has a high filter....
              Last edited by Lysergene; 07-05-2016, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Well, distortion of any kind is going to emphasize the pick attack, as it compresses the tone. Allan Holdsworth was after the same thing- get rid of the pick attack. He did it with technique, mostly.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, I have been using Tortex picks forever and recently tried Ultrex, which made it much worse.
                  I have already been down the pickup path, and I'm using a 1978 Ibanez V-2 and a Carvin M22SD, which are voiced differently but both have about the same output as a Dimarzio Super D, which is the other pickup I have liked over the years.

I know pick technique is part of the equation, but I also know that some pedals emphasize it way more than others, so I thought maybe some would emphasize it less than most.

It's all this board's fault, really. I was perfectly happy with my amp distortion for 25 years until I started hanging out here. I wanted to learn more about delays and compressors but got sucked into all the drive threads and went "Oh, I never thought of overdriving my amp with an already dirty sound! I wonder what that could get me??"
                  Until this forum I always thought of drive pedals as something you use on a clean amp only. Now I'm flipping pedals and annoying music store employees like crazy!

Comment

I want pick attack/noise, it helps define the notes and gives bite. To that end I use an .88 pick with beveled edges, and adjust the angle of the pick to get more pick noise when needed on certain solos. You would go in the opposite direction.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                      Yeah, roll down the tone knob..less than halfway should actually be fine..
                      Yes. Learn to use your guitar's tone control when you solo.

It can be extremely useful for giving your soloing tone more of a vowel like or horn like quality as well - what Eric Clapton, when he played with Cream, called his "woman tone".
                      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Focusing on technique and lots of work on it will make a huge difference.
                        Look at things like angle of the pick across the strings, how you hold the pick and where you touch the string.
                        Experimenting with different types of picks will also contribute.
                        These ones are very low on pick noise:

But you may find others work better for you. Wegen make some nice picks with smooth edges and low friction on the beveled edge.
                        Try some outside of the box solutions, but technique is still king.
                        Pull back the gain a little on your amp to reduce compression and roll off the treble and presence too.
                        Looser, less present speakers like greenbacks will help a little too.
                        Last edited by Chickenwings; 07-05-2016, 10:58 AM.
                        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

A stiff, thick rounded pick looks right up my alley. I will try those. Thanks.

And just an FYI to some other posts, I know how to use my tone control, but thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                            I want pick attack/noise, it helps define the notes and gives bite. To that end I use an .88 pick with beveled edges, and adjust the angle of the pick to get more pick noise when needed on certain solos. You would go in the opposite direction.
                            I'm in your boat. That extra little bit of something at the beginning of every note adds a certain character to rhythms that I really like. I always use 1.14 sharp Tortex picks for that reason, and I pick at almost a 45 degree angle against the strings.

Comment

I like pick noise too. I am a huge Steve Morse fan, and I pick every note. I also like Allan Holdsworth, but I don't understand what the hell he does.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X