No announcement yet.

I dont mean to start something but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont mean to start something but....

The last dozen gigs or so i have been using an xotic AC into either my twin reverb or princeton reverb II. It has been on pretty much all the time and ive been using a compressor for leads.
    The AC has replaced the nobels odr-1 which is a great source of drive too into clean fender amps, but due to all its bass, by the third set when the tubes on the amp are really hot, things start to get a little loose down low. The AC addresses that and gives a big push in the mids which is an excellent place to be onstage.
    However, every now and again i dig out my old MIJ sd-1.
    Dammit if it didn't do it again.
    Any of you guys who know me probably know ive been through a bazillion overdrives over the years.
    BUt that SD-1.....
    With its bass cut, its mid hump, its lack of clarity and its compression.
    What a great sound!
    I'm going to play my next few gigs with all the knobs at 12 o clock and just leave it on and use my tele's vol/tone knobs for everything. I feel pretty confident that it will be great.
    To be honest, it is not all that different from having the gain low and using a compressor for leads, and i really like fine tuning the response from the guitar.
    The lack of low end is great. Especially when you are using big fat low ended fender amps.
    The mid hump puts the guitar right in the sweet spot (i run my mids on 10 on the amp too)
    The lack of clarity. Well, i dont think anyone would call a 5e3 exactly hifi but it is a great warm tone.
    The compression. That really seems to kick in when the guitar volume is at full, so it is a win for leads and a little extra sustain on the single notes.

I mostly play using pretty old school tones, nothing high gain etc. I get a lot of my variations from how i pick. I don't need high gain. In the blues/country band im playing in right now, hifi is really not necessary. Vintage tones is the order of the day.
    I do have another really gorgeous hand wired jtm style amp that has stunning natural dirt, and i have been playing another more fender flavoured amp by the same builder, but neither of these have reverb, so im back to using my blackface tones with just the right amount of reverb and a pedal for grit.

This is not a troll thread. I am not trying to wind up out local boss hater.

I am just singing the praises of a pedal that i have used for roughly 30 years now, on and off with different axes and amps.

Here is cheers to the boss SD-1!
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 07-07-2016, 01:06 AM.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Re: I dont mean to start something but....

There is a reason certain Boss pedals are legendary and praised for the tones they produce. The SD-1 is one of those pedals.

There is a character that they have that, while not for everyone, is very nice in the right situations.

I was gifted with a first generation Turbo Distortion recently (I also have the first generation Turbo Overdrive)... I haven't really had time to put them all together on a pedalboard yet, but when I'm in the mood for that type of sound, I'll be diving in headfirst.

Comment

There's a reason most OD pedals are just modded versions of the SD-1 and TS pedals.

I prefer my TS808 myself, but same story. I do swap it out for my SD-1 just for kicks sometimes.
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

The only one who will be "starting anything" is someone who dumps on you for praising what is pretty much a classic pedal. I'm not, in any way, trying to play moderator or administrator here when I point out that nobody should have to tip toe around discussing ANY type of gear for fear of sending someone else off on a rant due to his lack of tolerance for anything that he feels is beneath him and unworthy of use.

Don't sweat it.

Comment

True. Anyone who states a piece of classic gear is beneath them better take a good hard look at the rigs of people they look up to going back to when that piece of gear appears on the market. Chances are, they will discover a lot of gear that they look down on has, does, and will show up on the rigs of their favourite guitarist eventually.

Many classic and still sought after tones of the 80's and 90's are the result of Boss pedals.

Comment

What ever happened with your OD-1? Still like the SD-1 more?

As we speak, I'm trying to talk myself out of picking up an OD-3 I found for $50. It's definitely a want, not a need.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

ive bought and sold a sd1 three times. the last time i bought it, i swore i was keeping it till i die. i pull it out every once in a while and it sounds great. i dont like the buffer so i grow weary of it and end up going to a true bypass pedal but it always sounds great to fresh ears.

Comment

I like my SD-1.

I contemplated getting the Waza version and I would still get it. I just haven't gotten around to it.
                For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                  What ever happened with your OD-1? Still like the SD-1 more?

As we speak, I'm trying to talk myself out of picking up an OD-3 I found for $50. It's definitely a want, not a need.
                  yeah i like the od-1, but after much playing and listening i found i prefer the sd1. It is a little less compressed and has a slightly more percussive punchy attack. Don't ask me why they sound different. They are both super cool. My sd-1 is 1981 whereas the od1 is 1984. Don't know if years make a difference or not. I could happily use either. To be honest, id probably be just as happy with a current model one too but ive not tried one side by side with this old one.
                  Both of the boss pedals "feel" better to play than a fulldrive. Again, don't ask me why technically, but they seem to have a more musical "squish" and richer harmonics. Of course, it is all horses for courses.

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  ive bought and sold a sd1 three times. the last time i bought it, i swore i was keeping it till i die. i pull it out every once in a while and it sounds great. i dont like the buffer so i grow weary of it and end up going to a true bypass pedal but it always sounds great to fresh ears.
                  ive got one of those clickless tru bypass units, but i cant be bothered installing it. That, and the fact that i really dont turn off the pedal and have nothing else in the chain makes it unnecessary.
                  Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                  I like my SD-1.

I contemplated getting the Waza version and I would still get it. I just haven't gotten around to it.
                  Yeah the waza is probably very nice. I had the waza blues driver for a while, and i am really happy with the waza dm-2. A really sweet analog delay.

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                  There's a reason most OD pedals are just modded versions of the SD-1 and TS pedals.

I prefer my TS808 myself, but same story. I do swap it out for my SD-1 just for kicks sometimes.
                  i used to use a maxon od9 (pretty much just an 808) in the same config more or less (just one pedal) and an old musicman two ten sixty five. There were times at gigs i kinda had to turn around because i was really enjoying the sound. I don't know, but the maxon ended up getting sold off somewhere along the way. I will probably go back and get another one of those one day and you will probably hear me raving about how nice it is! I think i like the extra hair of the boss assymetrical clipping, but really they are all pretty much interchangeable once you are standing next to a drummer and bassist.
                  Last edited by Chickenwings; 07-08-2016, 05:40 AM.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Good pedal!! Im still loving an OLD Ds-1 , and a older Maxon OD9 too. Both work in many situations!

Comment

Boss pedals have infiltrated my board too. Missing from the pic is a DS-2 that was given to me the day after I took this pic along with a Signalflex EQ Distortion (MZ clone) and an Ibanez Tone-Lok Delay I acquired today.

With the exception of the EQ, all the Boss pedals are vintage... Either MIJ or at the very least, for pedals that only came out after manufacturing was moved to Taiwan, they are first generation pedals. ...and from the first few years that production had started there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	5793476
                      Last edited by ThisDyingSoul76; 07-08-2016, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I got rid of most of my Boss pedals to buy $30 Chinese ones ..love the true bypass & toan! ~
                        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

It is recommended to keep at least a few buffers in your rig though. Preferably one right at the start of your peal board and one at the end... In between doesn't really matter unless you're stringing together dozens of pedals. Mind you, personal experience is the older Boss pedals from Japan and the early Taiwanese ones have better buffers than newer ones (except maybe the Waza models). There are definitely better buffers out there than Boss's though. If you don't have a decent one built into a pedal, consider a standalone one.

All TB with zero buffers will hurt tone just as badly as having all buffered pedals with an ok or poor quality buffer. ...of course, if you only have a few pedals, all TB may be fine.

Comment

I don't think the Boss SD-1 is a bad pedal by any means. I just don't think that a lot of people realize that the legendary tones people get out of them aren't just the SD-1 by itself. It's a More of an overdrive to be used into the front of a driven amp already.

I'm happy to see that you're enjoying yours.
                            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                            Line 6 Helix
                            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I like running an SD-1 in front of either my Keeley MT-2 or my Duncan TT-Mayhem. It ads hair without overly boosting the mids.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X