banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Earthquaker "The Depths" vibe pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Earthquaker "The Depths" vibe pedal?

Anyone have one, or have any experience with them?

I need a small form factor (MXR sized) vibe pedal. I have a Drybell on my other board and I like it a lot, but this is for the house rig. Don't want to spend the dough on another Drybell and I figure, why not get a slightly different vibe anyway and see what it does.

sigpic

Re: Thoughts on Earthquaker "The Depths" vibe pedal?

I've tried one and I really, really like it. I want to do a shootout between that and a TC Viscous vibe to see which I like better. The VV is pretty good in its own right, too.

Comment

Far be it from me to suggest the entire rig chemistry including the central issue of the guitar and where are how one uses a vibe attests to how it sounds on "that" rig.
      All one can determine in "shootouts" is which one they like in the manner they are using it. You can place a vibe in various positions in the chain which all sound and feel different.
      One should really just try out some things on their rig and go with what works for them be it cheap or high end, whatever rings the cow bell.
      The central difference in vibes are the older original photocell lamp circuits or digital circuits which have honestly been getting pretty good lately. Each has a feel and usage thing which is different depending on what sort of Vibe thing one is after. Most feel the photocell circuit is more "organic"sounding (analog) and responds differently than the digital pedals.
      "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
      You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Depths uses photocells with an LED. More authentic than a digital circuit but removes some of the challenges of the original circuit.

Is a MicroVibe too big for your board?
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
          I've tried one and I really, really like it. I want to do a shootout between that and a TC Viscous vibe to see which I like better. The VV is pretty good in its own right, too.
          The Viscous Vibe is the right form factor and is a good price so I was considering it too. I have some other TC stuff too (flashback and flashback 4) and I am impressed with them. One review I saw said they thought it was a little too "clean" sounding but that it was very good. I like a little bit of goop in my vibe sound so it may not be the right choice for me, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you do a comparison.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Depths uses photocells with an LED. More authentic than a digital circuit but removes some of the challenges of the original circuit.

Is a MicroVibe too big for your board?

Microvibe is the Voodoo labs one, right? I need to measure again. I might be able to use one of those. I have heard they are pretty good too.

I think my drybell uses an LED optical circuit also which helped them get the size down.

sigpic

Comment

Yes, MicroVibe is Voodoo Lab. It's my current one, but I have serious GAS for both a Drybell and Mini DejaVibe 3.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yes, MicroVibe is Voodoo Lab. It's my current one, but I have serious GAS for both a Drybell and Mini DejaVibe 3.
                The Drybell is great. To my ears, it seems a bit more phaser-ey. Not necessarily a bad thing. I can vouch for the build quality. They are serious buxx though, plus I had to pay a bit in customs here in the US also.

sigpic

Comment

Digitech has a digital one too that looks like direct competition for the TC.

Comment

I tried the Depths pedal today in a shop, and I have to say, I didn't really care for it. I didn't spend a ton of time trying to dial it in, but it seemed like the sweep wave was really aggressive, not what I am used to in a vibe pedal. It sounded good otherwise, and seemed nicely made. Maybe I couldn't dial in the "voice" setting where it needed to be to get what I wanted. So it may not be for me; I will probably wait and see if I can find another Drybell somewhere. They have b-stock sales from time to time...

sigpic

Comment

Yep, it does. You can dee it just up and to the right of the center of the board.

Comment

Working...
                      X