Bass wah on guitar..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass wah on guitar..

I ordered a mini cry baby and was accidentally sent a mini bass cry baby.
    I don't wanna mess with the return and wanna try and use it first.
    Anyone ever tried this? If it sucks I'll just sell it and buy what I want.

Re: Bass wah on guitar..

One of the winter NAMM 2016 videos for Dunlop had the demonstrator doing just that, said he preferred the EQ curve for guitar, and especially for drop-tunings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the Dunlop bass wah circuit is closer to an envelope filter than a classic wah. It should be a more pronounced "wah", closer to a synthy filter tone than a classic Jimi type wah sound. You might love it, and if may be perfect for what you are looking for. If you can return it after its opened, I'd definitely give it a try on your rig.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I appreciate it, I am going for a dark Jerry Cantrell type of tone in everything from half step down to drop b. This may have worked in my favor then..

Comment

Yeah, some people really like it. It isn't quite like the guitar version, which is the point of it. You may love its quackiness.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Yeah, some people really like it. It isn't quite like the guitar version, which is the point of it. You may love its quackiness.
            That may be what I am after, I am looking for dark vocal type of a tone. The only reason why I bought the mini guitar is it has 3 voicings.
            This Q and volume may dial in nicely, I am going to try it tonight after work and see if I like it. I am into the AIC Facelift album at the moment and bought a wah for that dark tone. Otherwise I am really not a wah player.

Comment

I love it on guitar. Lot of flexibility. Dunlop has a sample recording of someone using it with a guitar.

Comment

The main difference in bass wah's is a warmer cap that limits the sweep range to lower frequencies.
                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Brent Hinds uses the regular Crybaby bass wah because he describes the envelope as much more dramatic.
                  Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                  Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                  Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                  Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I got home and played with it for a while last night and was happy.
                    I like how it sounds, warm and fat and not nasally at all.
                    I ended up doing good on a mistake.

Comment

Awesome! I would be interested to know it that cap is the only thing differentiating it from the guitar version, or if there are other changes, too.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Awesome! I would be interested to know it that cap is the only thing differentiating it from the guitar version, or if there are other changes, too.
                        My understanding from a Dunlop video is that it is a different circuit, inductorless, in fact.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

It'll sound great on the 3 lower strings - it'll go wah a lot. One the high strings for lead? Almost no effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                            It'll sound great on the 3 lower strings - it'll go wah a lot. One the high strings for lead? Almost no effect.
                            Actually it's the opposite. Dunlop specifically tweaked it in such a way that it wouldn't affect your lower register and your high and mid range notes would get the full effect.
                            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                            Line 6 Helix
                            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

That's cool then. The way it used to be was what I described.

Comment

Working...
                              X