• Show
Clear All
    dystrust
    Mojo's Minions

• dystrust
    replied
    Re: Bass wah on guitar..

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
    Sounds like he had some distortion going on with it, too. Any idea which one?
    I haven't followed Metallica for quite a while, but Cliff used to use a Morley Power Wah Boost as well as a Big Muff and I've heard that Jason used a Proco Rat.

Leave a comment:

• jtougas
    Mojo's Minions

• jtougas
    replied

Sounds like he had some distortion going on with it, too. Any idea which one?

Leave a comment:

• Falloffthebonetone
    Ultimate Tone Slacker

• Falloffthebonetone
    replied

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
    Yeah. As much as I love Dunlop and their wah's, and the idea of a switchless wah, that was the big issue for me. I like to be able to affect my low register the same way I do the high register. For me, the most notable bass wah song is For Whom the Bell Tolls and when I hear it live, I like the way Rob or Jason would keep the pedal on after the bass intro was done and would make some really cool noises on their lower notes. At 0:35 in this video is the best way to explain it.

The wah stays on until you take the foot off or roll it all the way back. Rob Trujillo uses it.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    Shaunofthedeadologist

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    That's cool then. The way it used to be was what I described.
    Yeah. As much as I love Dunlop and their wah's, and the idea of a switchless wah, that was the big issue for me. I like to be able to affect my low register the same way I do the high register. For me, the most notable bass wah song is For Whom the Bell Tolls and when I hear it live, I like the way Rob or Jason would keep the pedal on after the bass intro was done and would make some really cool noises on their lower notes. At 0:35 in this video is the best way to explain it.

Leave a comment:

• frankfalbo
    In Fluence Y'all

• frankfalbo
    replied

Lots of misinfo AND corrections too! Great job everyone LOL!

I love using bass wah on guitar, and keep my Ibanez Weeping Demon in the "low" setting. Yes the Dunlop bass wah is inductorless, more like a parametric sweep. I've thought about buying it for guitar. You will probably love it. There are a couple pots to tune it, definitely mess with them.

Leave a comment:

• Myaccount876
    Amira-Maker

• Myaccount876
    replied

That's cool then. The way it used to be was what I described.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    Shaunofthedeadologist

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    It'll sound great on the 3 lower strings - it'll go wah a lot. One the high strings for lead? Almost no effect.
    Actually it's the opposite. Dunlop specifically tweaked it in such a way that it wouldn't affect your lower register and your high and mid range notes would get the full effect.

Leave a comment:

• Myaccount876
    Amira-Maker

• Myaccount876
    replied

It'll sound great on the 3 lower strings - it'll go wah a lot. One the high strings for lead? Almost no effect.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    of the Forum

• PFDarkside
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Awesome! I would be interested to know it that cap is the only thing differentiating it from the guitar version, or if there are other changes, too.
    My understanding from a Dunlop video is that it is a different circuit, inductorless, in fact.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    Administrator

• Mincer
    replied

Awesome! I would be interested to know it that cap is the only thing differentiating it from the guitar version, or if there are other changes, too.

Leave a comment:

• Shooter.556
    Super Toneologist

• Shooter.556
    replied

I got home and played with it for a while last night and was happy.
    I like how it sounds, warm and fat and not nasally at all.
    I ended up doing good on a mistake.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    Shaunofthedeadologist

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

Brent Hinds uses the regular Crybaby bass wah because he describes the envelope as much more dramatic.

Leave a comment:

• blueman335
    Mojo's Minions

• blueman335
    replied

The main difference in bass wah's is a warmer cap that limits the sweep range to lower frequencies.

Leave a comment:

• Falloffthebonetone
    Ultimate Tone Slacker

• Falloffthebonetone
    replied

I love it on guitar. Lot of flexibility. Dunlop has a sample recording of someone using it with a guitar.

Leave a comment:

• Shooter.556
    Super Toneologist

• Shooter.556
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Yeah, some people really like it. It isn't quite like the guitar version, which is the point of it. You may love its quackiness.
    That may be what I am after, I am looking for dark vocal type of a tone. The only reason why I bought the mini guitar is it has 3 voicings.
    This Q and volume may dial in nicely, I am going to try it tonight after work and see if I like it. I am into the AIC Facelift album at the moment and bought a wah for that dark tone. Otherwise I am really not a wah player.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X