Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zendrive

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I don't know much about the Zen Drive...do any of y'all have a definite sound clip for one? How does it differ from a TS-style?
    It's very loosely based on the TS, it's been more widely viewed as one of the earlier (and still amazing) Dumble-in-a-box. I know Robben Ford used one for a long time, (I believe it was developed FOR or with him) and a lot of his live lead tone comes more from that than even his Dumbles. I believe he's using it for much of this clip.
    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
      Gets a very specific sound though, i will say.
      That's exactly what I tell people as well. It's not incredibly versatile, but it does that semi-fuzzy overdriven tweed-ish tone really well.

Comment

The zendrive is a lot smoother than a TS. People say the ZD gets dumble-esq tones. I used to compare it to the TS and would prefer what i could get out of the ZD every time. Now, i realize they both just shine in dif applications.

Heres a clip of my zen drive over an yngwie BT:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And here is a clip of me running a zendrive into my analogman sunface:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Wow, that does sound pretty good. What are the settings on those clips (I have a ZD model in my Fractal to try).
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Wow, that does sound pretty good. What are the settings on those clips (I have a ZD model in my Fractal to try).
            Not really. The 'Zen Master' is a nice lower-gain drive which I have used a ton over the past couple years, but it has few qualities of a Zen Drive into an amp and will not provide you with any real-life reference. The ZDs most unique feature is the voice control which is supposed to be emulated by using the low-cut on the Fractal (likely because the voice control ..is.. a low-cut).

Still, the default clipping diode on Fractal is 'variable' not op-amp (with 12 other choices selectable, op-amp included) + clip 'shape' + some combination of low-cut, hi cut, bass, mid (para), treble, drive, tone, bias, slew etc.. Even if you don't use all of the settings and you choose op-amp the actual drive function/feel and response is not like the ZD in the least IMO. It's missing the super smooth mids. Zen Master is a great drive on it's own though.

However, to geek a bit further if you do want the sound of say the Zen Drive through a Twin (which is phenomenal) skip the drive block and choose the ODS 100 Ford-1 amp. Input drive at 5 straight up and Overdrive set between 4 and 7...and the rest to taste. Done some amazing pre-session trial tracks with that setting and is spot on of using a ZD and Twin which used to be a live rig of mine. RG
            Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

Thanks! Not really a matter of settings. I find most of the setting i choose, the resulting sound is similar.

I'm not sure but i'm pretty sure the gain is probably set relatively high in the clips. It's not really too high of a gain pedal, subtle yet effective
              Last edited by Open lane; 07-21-2016, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Man. Rodney Gene's posts should include some popcorn.
                Damn good reading material, always!
                Last edited by Diego; 07-22-2016, 08:34 AM.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Rodney's the man. SD member since ??? 1996?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
                    Not really. The 'Zen Master' is a nice lower-gain drive which I have used a ton over the past couple years, but it has few qualities of a Zen Drive into an amp and will not provide you with any real-life reference. The ZDs most unique feature is the voice control which is supposed to be emulated by using the low-cut on the Fractal (likely because the voice control ..is.. a low-cut).

Still, the default clipping diode on Fractal is 'variable' not op-amp (with 12 other choices selectable, op-amp included) + clip 'shape' + some combination of low-cut, hi cut, bass, mid (para), treble, drive, tone, bias, slew etc.. Even if you don't use all of the settings and you choose op-amp the actual drive function/feel and response is not like the ZD in the least IMO. It's missing the super smooth mids. Zen Master is a great drive on it's own though.

However, to geek a bit further if you do want the sound of say the Zen Drive through a Twin (which is phenomenal) skip the drive block and choose the ODS 100 Ford-1 amp. Input drive at 5 straight up and Overdrive set between 4 and 7...and the rest to taste. Done some amazing pre-session trial tracks with that setting and is spot on of using a ZD and Twin which used to be a live rig of mine. RG
                    This is great info. I had worked a bit with the ODS 100, but since I wasn't that familiar with the original, I couldn't get the same sounds I heard other people get. I will try this, as well as trying to build a decent Zen Drive in there.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
                      The zendrive is a lot smoother than a TS. People say the ZD gets dumble-esq tones. I used to compare it to the TS and would prefer what i could get out of the ZD every time. Now, i realize they both just shine in dif applications.
                      [/video]
                      I completely agree. I have both on my board and use them both, sometimes even together.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
                        Yeah he and Butch Snyder recommended the pickups for my triple P90 guitar back in 1999 on the early incarnation of this board.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

good forum back then!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                            Man. Rodney Gene's posts should include some popcorn.
                            Damn good reading material, always!
                            Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
                            This is great info. I had worked a bit with the ODS 100, but since I wasn't that familiar with the original, I couldn't get the same sounds I heard other people get. I will try this, as well as trying to build a decent Zen Drive in there.
                            Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                            Yeah he and Butch Snyder recommended the pickups for my triple P90 guitar back in 1999 on the early incarnation of this board.
                            Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            good forum back then!
                            Thanks for love brothers, always appreciate the good words. Sincerely~ And brother Jeremy, definitely alot less places to stop on the Internet guitar highway 18 years ago. Forum was a bonafide concentrated resource of different experienced players. Couldn't 'google' answers so alot fewer folks available to help. Even brother Donzo was around (pre winding days) and alot proper trolling by Dimarzio users, LOL. Yeah Dave, seems the ODS tones or the Dumble tones in general are hit miss, love/hate for some and really sensitive to small tweaks. Personally I dig em alot and have found on the Fractal, the Ford ODS-100 is just a super resource for me. Cheers, RG
                            Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

I've got one of Alf's original Zendrives, great little pedal, doesn't feel or sound anything like a TS, because it isn't, as RG correctly pointed out. Oddly, it ended up being a great pedal with the rig I was using at the time to do these two Jeff Beck covers (or covers of Jeff Beck covers!) a few years ago.

Cheers.................................... wahwah
                              Highway Star
                              Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                              Mistreated
                              Cause We Ended As Lovers
                              Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
                              Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

Unlike some OD pedals, the thing captures a similar sound with humbuckers too. I usually use mine with a marshall class5 amp. However, noticed the sound was nearly identical when i rigged it to my DSL. Cool pedal all around.

Comment

Working...
                                X