• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mincer
    replied
    Re: Zendrive

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    I know what you are experiencing. It just takes tweaking, honestly. Not much of a Marshall or Fender plug n play. So much of what makes a D amp so responsive etc is the order of gain/eq. EQ before the gain changes the compression dynamics and might result in flubby low end. But you have alot of options to manage that. And with the Fractal, it really is all about the IRs. I'll sit and switch IRs till I find it, depending on the guitar and then save the setting. For the ODS I always use 2-12 cabs. Seems best for my ideas. Own Hammer, Amp Factory or factory cabs like the G12-65 JM. Honestly, a lot of players feel these amps don't gain enough, squeak and sponge enough on first blush. If you get to know it, something really special emerges IMO. Cheers, RG
    I appreciate this. It is hard to tweak a sound that you've only heard in videos, and on CDs, and have no reference in 'feel'. I don't hear that splatty thing in the recordings, so I am assuming that should be dialed out. I have been using the (stock) Boutique 2x12 cab for this. Right now, it is sounding like a fuzz pedal with half the gain up on a Twin. It isn't a bad sound, but it isn't quite 'the' sound I have been hearing. So far, it is almost like a TS, with the mids shifted lower.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

looks fun!

Leave a comment:

• Scott_F
    replied

The Howie had the splatty thing going especially on the fat E. I had it set like I had the Zendrive. Once I backed the gain down slightly and fiddled with the knobs, I was coaxing some Knopfler fingerpicking tones out of my Tele and Bassman.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney Gene
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Been playing with the Zen Master into a Twin model and an ODS-100 Ford 1 (what cab are you using for this?). They do sound different, but they both have some weird tubby/splatty low end thing going on. Does the real thing have this?
    I know what you are experiencing. It just takes tweaking, honestly. Not much of a Marshall or Fender plug n play. So much of what makes a D amp so responsive etc is the order of gain/eq. EQ before the gain changes the compression dynamics and might result in flubby low end. But you have alot of options to manage that. And with the Fractal, it really is all about the IRs. I'll sit and switch IRs till I find it, depending on the guitar and then save the setting. For the ODS I always use 2-12 cabs. Seems best for my ideas. Own Hammer, Amp Factory or factory cabs like the G12-65 JM. Honestly, a lot of players feel these amps don't gain enough, squeak and sponge enough on first blush. If you get to know it, something really special emerges IMO. Cheers, RG

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Been playing with the Zen Master into a Twin model and an ODS-100 Ford 1 (what cab are you using for this?). They do sound different, but they both have some weird tubby/splatty low end thing going on. Does the real thing have this?

Leave a comment:

• Rodney Gene
    replied

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
    I've got one of Alf's original Zendrives, great little pedal, doesn't feel or sound anything like a TS, because it isn't, as RG correctly pointed out. Oddly, it ended up being a great pedal with the rig I was using at the time to do these two Jeff Beck covers (or covers of Jeff Beck covers!) a few years ago.

Cheers.................................... wahwah
    Sounds fantastic bro. Nice playing~

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
    I've got a 7 knob Menatone Howie headed this way thanks to RG making my GAS worse. Thanks bro.
    Ha not gas, just a bit of tone exploration. That's how we really begin to see the truth in all of this. BTW, if you don't dig, flip it to me. Mine is currently on loan to friend in Houston and even though I'll get it back soon I don't mind a second for another board...it stacks like a mythical God. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
    IME, the Howie is a different beast from the ZD. Also owned a HAO Rumble Mod for a bit. It too is a nice box but doesn't curl my toes like the ZD.
    I hear you. In my experience I think all of the 'D" pedals sound different though many of the new pedals (Dude, GS124, WIZ Pedal, MojoFX Dumble etc...) have a huge cross pollination range where they sound the same now. The GS RED as cheap as it is today is a Jetter handmade goop covered joy to play, worth 3x the asking price and a virtual ZD brethren. As for the Howie, it depends on version. The 7-knob I recommended to Scott stacks with the Zendrive like few other combinations. It has a 'clean' Dumble sound or clean side that is amazing to say the least. Like all exceptional gear, it takes building a relationship with. The only 'true' D circuit I know of (gain stage levels, EQ order, type of shelving, bell, number of gain stages etc).. in pedal form is the Ethos OD with the HRM mod. But it is a preamp. The other 'D' style preamp that is mind-blowingly good but really only a ONE trick deal (Really, just one) is the Van Weeldon Royal OD. The heavy side of Dumble. Does not do low-gain or mod gain well and requires 18 volts with 400 ma to sound right. But holy goodness does it do what it does well! Cheers, RG

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
    Sadly, my experience with the AxeFx ZD doesn't remotely approach the enjoyment I got from the real deal.
    Well, I think I can get there ither with the model or as RG pointed out, the amp.

Leave a comment:

• aleclee
    replied

I've got a 7 knob Menatone Howie headed this way thanks to RG making my GAS worse. Thanks bro.
    IME, the Howie is a different beast from the ZD. Also owned a HAO Rumble Mod for a bit. It too is a nice box but doesn't curl my toes like the ZD.

Leave a comment:

• aleclee
    replied

Wow, that does sound pretty good. What are the settings on those clips (I have a ZD model in my Fractal to try).
    Sadly, my experience with the AxeFx ZD doesn't remotely approach the enjoyment I got from the real deal.

Leave a comment:

• Scott_F
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Open lane
    replied

Wow, that does sound pretty good. What are the settings on those clips (I have a ZD model in my Fractal to try).
    Unlike some OD pedals, the thing captures a similar sound with humbuckers too. I usually use mine with a marshall class5 amp. However, noticed the sound was nearly identical when i rigged it to my DSL. Cool pedal all around.

Leave a comment:

• wahwah
    replied

I've got one of Alf's original Zendrives, great little pedal, doesn't feel or sound anything like a TS, because it isn't, as RG correctly pointed out. Oddly, it ended up being a great pedal with the rig I was using at the time to do these two Jeff Beck covers (or covers of Jeff Beck covers!) a few years ago.

Cheers.................................... wahwah

Leave a comment:

• Rodney Gene
    replied

Originally posted by Diego View Post
    Man. Rodney Gene's posts should include some popcorn.
    Damn good reading material, always!
    Rodney's the man. SD member since ??? 1996?
    This is great info. I had worked a bit with the ODS 100, but since I wasn't that familiar with the original, I couldn't get the same sounds I heard other people get. I will try this, as well as trying to build a decent Zen Drive in there.
    Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Yeah he and Butch Snyder recommended the pickups for my triple P90 guitar back in 1999 on the early incarnation of this board.
    Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    good forum back then!
    Thanks for love brothers, always appreciate the good words. Sincerely~ And brother Jeremy, definitely alot less places to stop on the Internet guitar highway 18 years ago. Forum was a bonafide concentrated resource of different experienced players. Couldn't 'google' answers so alot fewer folks available to help. Even brother Donzo was around (pre winding days) and alot proper trolling by Dimarzio users, LOL. Yeah Dave, seems the ODS tones or the Dumble tones in general are hit miss, love/hate for some and really sensitive to small tweaks. Personally I dig em alot and have found on the Fractal, the Ford ODS-100 is just a super resource for me. Cheers, RG

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

good forum back then!

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Rodney's the man. SD member since ??? 1996?
    Yeah he and Butch Snyder recommended the pickups for my triple P90 guitar back in 1999 on the early incarnation of this board.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X