• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunslinger_505
    replied
    Re: Zendrive

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
    The zendrive is a lot smoother than a TS. People say the ZD gets dumble-esq tones. I used to compare it to the TS and would prefer what i could get out of the ZD every time. Now, i realize they both just shine in dif applications.
    [/video]
    I completely agree. I have both on my board and use them both, sometimes even together.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    Not really. The 'Zen Master' is a nice lower-gain drive which I have used a ton over the past couple years, but it has few qualities of a Zen Drive into an amp and will not provide you with any real-life reference. The ZDs most unique feature is the voice control which is supposed to be emulated by using the low-cut on the Fractal (likely because the voice control ..is.. a low-cut).

Still, the default clipping diode on Fractal is 'variable' not op-amp (with 12 other choices selectable, op-amp included) + clip 'shape' + some combination of low-cut, hi cut, bass, mid (para), treble, drive, tone, bias, slew etc.. Even if you don't use all of the settings and you choose op-amp the actual drive function/feel and response is not like the ZD in the least IMO. It's missing the super smooth mids. Zen Master is a great drive on it's own though.

However, to geek a bit further if you do want the sound of say the Zen Drive through a Twin (which is phenomenal) skip the drive block and choose the ODS 100 Ford-1 amp. Input drive at 5 straight up and Overdrive set between 4 and 7...and the rest to taste. Done some amazing pre-session trial tracks with that setting and is spot on of using a ZD and Twin which used to be a live rig of mine. RG
    This is great info. I had worked a bit with the ODS 100, but since I wasn't that familiar with the original, I couldn't get the same sounds I heard other people get. I will try this, as well as trying to build a decent Zen Drive in there.

Leave a comment:

• Scott_F
    replied

Rodney's the man. SD member since ??? 1996?

Leave a comment:

• Diego
    replied

Man. Rodney Gene's posts should include some popcorn.
    Damn good reading material, always!
    Last edited by Diego; 07-22-2016, 08:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Open lane
    replied

Thanks! Not really a matter of settings. I find most of the setting i choose, the resulting sound is similar.

I'm not sure but i'm pretty sure the gain is probably set relatively high in the clips. It's not really too high of a gain pedal, subtle yet effective
    Last edited by Open lane; 07-21-2016, 03:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney Gene
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Wow, that does sound pretty good. What are the settings on those clips (I have a ZD model in my Fractal to try).
    Not really. The 'Zen Master' is a nice lower-gain drive which I have used a ton over the past couple years, but it has few qualities of a Zen Drive into an amp and will not provide you with any real-life reference. The ZDs most unique feature is the voice control which is supposed to be emulated by using the low-cut on the Fractal (likely because the voice control ..is.. a low-cut).

Still, the default clipping diode on Fractal is 'variable' not op-amp (with 12 other choices selectable, op-amp included) + clip 'shape' + some combination of low-cut, hi cut, bass, mid (para), treble, drive, tone, bias, slew etc.. Even if you don't use all of the settings and you choose op-amp the actual drive function/feel and response is not like the ZD in the least IMO. It's missing the super smooth mids. Zen Master is a great drive on it's own though.

However, to geek a bit further if you do want the sound of say the Zen Drive through a Twin (which is phenomenal) skip the drive block and choose the ODS 100 Ford-1 amp. Input drive at 5 straight up and Overdrive set between 4 and 7...and the rest to taste. Done some amazing pre-session trial tracks with that setting and is spot on of using a ZD and Twin which used to be a live rig of mine. RG

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Wow, that does sound pretty good. What are the settings on those clips (I have a ZD model in my Fractal to try).

Leave a comment:

• Open lane
    replied

The zendrive is a lot smoother than a TS. People say the ZD gets dumble-esq tones. I used to compare it to the TS and would prefer what i could get out of the ZD every time. Now, i realize they both just shine in dif applications.

Heres a clip of my zen drive over an yngwie BT:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And here is a clip of me running a zendrive into my analogman sunface:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Leave a comment:

• chadd
    replied

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
    Gets a very specific sound though, i will say.
    That's exactly what I tell people as well. It's not incredibly versatile, but it does that semi-fuzzy overdriven tweed-ish tone really well.

Leave a comment:

• TimmyPage
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I don't know much about the Zen Drive...do any of y'all have a definite sound clip for one? How does it differ from a TS-style?
    It's very loosely based on the TS, it's been more widely viewed as one of the earlier (and still amazing) Dumble-in-a-box. I know Robben Ford used one for a long time, (I believe it was developed FOR or with him) and a lot of his live lead tone comes more from that than even his Dumbles. I believe he's using it for much of this clip.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
    it plays great with both Humbuckers and single coils and even stacks great in front of the SD twintube classic

great pedal
    Gotta try that!

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

I don't know much about the Zen Drive...do any of y'all have a definite sound clip for one? How does it differ from a TS-style?

Leave a comment:

• Open lane
    replied

I agree. The zen drive is my favorite pedal. Gets a very specific sound though, i will say. When i run a fuzz face into it through a marshall --- it sounds similar to eric johnson.

Leave a comment:

• tone4days
    replied

i paid way too much for my original ZD ($250 used) but i cant imagine it ever NOT being on my board, so i am actually going to rehouse it in a 125B enclosure in order to move the I/O and 9VDC to the back panel instead of the sides

it plays great with both Humbuckers and single coils and even stacks great in front of the SD twintube classic

great pedal

Leave a comment:

• Scott_F
    replied

I'm aggressively building a pedal board right now. I think the ZD is a keeper. I've tried a lot of pedals this year and sent a lot of them back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X