Way Huge Pork Loin through Fender Princeton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way Huge Pork Loin through Fender Princeton

Has anyone here tried this combo? Does it work well? Have not been impressed by clips of most over driven fender amps but sweetwater's clip of the Pork Loin through a Vibrolux seems to work well in the soundclips i've heard.

Anyone here know if the princeton should respond similarly? If you've tried it, can you briefly attest to how it sounds?

Looking for a light transparent overdrive that does not lose the character of the amp but also does not have too much of a harsh or grainy quality.

If you think that this is a bad combo, would you please recommend an alternative that you'd consider?

Re: Way Huge Pork Loin through Fender Princeton

....Such questions are always kinda.....well hard to answer...
    Because there is a lot of factors to all of this.
    Had the PL...thought it was a dead duck in the water...yes very soft, but also stiff and non dynamic.

Comment

I appreciate your opinion. What type(s) of guitar(s)/amp(s) did you use it with?
      Last edited by Open lane; 07-19-2016, 12:54 AM.

Comment

I may go w/ a geeen rhino instead. Same conext. Any thoughts on either will be appreciates. Btw, planning to use this pedal with a strat

Comment

All kinds, as I always do
          Did not like it much on any setup...same things I disliked in any configuration, combo, stack, different heads, other combo's and so on.
          I had for almost 2 years..then I got rid of it.

Comment

I really like the xotic ac booster thru my princeton. Definitely not harsh or grainy. I pretty much leave it on the whole time.
            At my last gig i used my strat for a laugh (not played my strat in ages) and i had a fellow guitarist raving about my sound and wanted to know how i got it.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I don't have any experience with the Pork Loin, but I have used a Princeton with a Strat! I really think the JHS Morning Glory or a Klon KTR (or other klone) might be what you're looking for. Very natural, transparent overdrive.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Trying to check them all out. Decisions decisions...

Comment

I checked out clips of the morning glory. Pretty sure you are right and it is what i want! I think i'm gonna get it

Comment

I love the Fulldrive 2 with my older Princeton Reverb. All three modes (comp cut, Flat Mids and Vintage) sound great for various times. A Strat, vintage mids and PR just sounds awesome! I bet the Green Rhino would be equally great.

(Filling in the scooped mids....)
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If you are looking for light transparent overdrive and you wanna stick with Way Huge, go with the overrated special.

The whole "1000 limited edition" thing is over now and you can just pick one up. The 500hz knob lets you tune the pedal to your pickups so you can get a consistent sound with all your guitars.

It's a genuinely fantastic overdrive.

If you are not too stuck on Way Huge, I would recommend any Lovepedal overdrive.

Good luck with your search.
                      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

ps to my earlier post about the xotic ac.....the bb and rc are also wicked. Ive got all 3 on my board.
                        A well known princeton/tele user in Nashville also uses an RC which he says he leaves on pretty much all the time.
                        Last edited by Chickenwings; 07-20-2016, 06:54 PM.
                        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I use/d a Way Huge Pork Loin with my Princeton Recording Amp and my DRRI. It was fine, not the end-all/be-all of pedaldom. Kind of my "Eric Johnson" pedal, if you can dig that. Just OK. Very british and "soft."

Actually, I recently had a revelation: I removed the Pork Loin -- pulled my pork loin out, as it were -- and used a TS-9 instead with my DRRI, and it just sounded wonderful: The Heavens opened, angels sang, gold fell from the sky, etc. Just a humble tube screamer, and it was like I was hearing it for the first time.

But yeah, it's not like Pork Loins will blow your Princeton up or anything.

Be aware, my Princeton has a *very* efficient Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker inside, selected so that I could employ louder, heavier pedals (like Fuzz Faces) without punishing the stock Jensen. So my Princeton probably doesn't sound anything like yours, never mind the fact that it's not a standard Fender reissue: It's a Princeton Recording Amp.

Hope that helps. I'd be surprised if it did.

Originally posted by nedcronin
                          Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                          Originally posted by metalmachine
                          dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

+1 for Xotic here, and I would throw the EP Boost into the mix, it's my always on, "more of what my guitar sounds like" pedal - mostly set near unity gain, but goose it up a bit and it'll begin to push the front end. It's a full spectrum boost, so just be careful of the bass it adds as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X