Megadeth tone in a box??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megadeth tone in a box??

Sorry guys I know I asked for distortion pedal advice but I forgot to leave out a key fact of tone in my last iron maiden thread that might change the responses I get. I know there was a fair bit of processing on that album so nothing will get me very close but is there any distortion pedal that can get me a similar tone of the rust in peace album?? I know megadeth used marshall so is a pedal like the golden plexi or purple plexi a good idea? No budget. Thanks guys.

Re: Megadeth tone in a box??

Originally posted by Power Stack \m/ View Post
    I know megadeth used marshall so is a pedal like the golden plexi or purple plexi a good idea?
    For RiP? No, they didn't, and no, they aren't. Purple Plexi is what you want for Van Halen and maybe Rhoads. A hot Plexi tone. Megadeth is anything but that.

I'm not even sure what they used then, but IIRC, it was a rackmounted preamp, and not a Marshall one at that.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by suislidE03 View Post
      On Rust in Peace Dave used a VHT 2150 poweramp thru a Bogner Fish Preamp(he also had a Bogner designed Hafler Triple Giant Preamp that was used for Solo's as well as rythym tracks) and a Bradshaw RSB-12 Switching system.He ran 3 Marshall 4x12 cabinets:
      One was loaded with 25 watt greenback celestions(a 100 watt cabinet)
      One was loaded with Vintage 30s rated at 280 watts total(8 Ohm Vintage 30speakers are 70 watts each)
      and another was a 300 watt G12-75 Celestion loaded cabinet.ALL 3 cabs were straight cabs.They were close mic'd with a Sennheiser 421 and a SM-57 close to the cones.

On Countdown Dave used a Bradshaw/Custom Audio Electronics 3+ Preamp a VHT 2150 poweramp(same as above on Rust In Peace) and the same Bradshaw RSB-12 Switcher.Same cabinets and Mic'ing technique.

His FX were 2 Yamaha SPX-900 Multi Effects units

-from the 'deth forums.
      When you can find a single pedal that will get you even halfway to all that, you let ME know.

Comment

Comment

He used a Bogner Fish into a VHT to sound THAT generic? I figured it was a JCM800 with a Rat like everybody else used to do.

That's kinda cool. I no longer want a Bogner Fish. Thanks!
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Yeah, RiP will be a hard one. I believe it was a rackmounted preamp (lee jackson maybe?) into maybe Marshall power amps.

If you want the countdown tone go buy a metalzone...ugh.

EDIT: I know this has been said before, but there is no such thing as 'this tone in a box'. It doesn't exist and one should stop chasing that notion.
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Everything you ever needed to know about Dave's tone is right here. Also, there was a pedal called the zoom G2.1DM which was designed to get a megadeth specific tone. For a full breakdown of his entire rigs over the years, click the link. http://www.groundguitar.com/dave-mus...tars-and-gear/

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys,

I know this may sound stupid but will also bogner pedal work??

Comment

Thanks guys,

I bet a Red and a Black into a stereo power amp (Fryette) would sound killer.

Comment

I was thinking that zoom dave mustaine pedal as well

Comment

Or maybe an AMT B2 pedal?

Or the Zoom, you can see David demo it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PxAMWx5aOQ
                      Last edited by devastone; 07-30-2016, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys,

You should be able to get a ballpark sound with the Bogner Red. Nothing will sound like a recorded tone - a studio recorded tone for an album (not a gear demo) is never an accurate indication of what the rig sounds like in person. They probably layered takes, tracks, different tones from different amps, guitars, microphones, mic placement, mic preamps, post EQ and compression, etc. the recorded tone is a sonic picture, and you can buy similar tools, but you won't get the same picture.

The Bogner Red will do high gain, hot rodded Marshall tones with a tight and compressed sound, and aggressive high end/high mids. A bit like a high gain modified JCM800. You should be able to get a tone that fits Megadeth's style with that, but nothing will ever sound like the recordings.

Comment

Working...
                        X