banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you assign cab IRs to outputs in a Line6 Helix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you assign cab IRs to outputs in a Line6 Helix?

I'm still on the fence about getting a Helix and one thing I've been wondering about and can't seem to dig up the answer to is whether or not you can assign cabinet IRs to outputs. Because in a live or band practice setting, I would want to have the 1/4" jacks without an IR going into a poweramp and into a 4x12, and I would want a cab IR for the XLR Jack's to send to the mixer.

So.....is this possible?
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Re: Can you assign cab IRs to outputs in a Line6 Helix?

I guess I'll find out, I said f*** it and ordered one.

Comment

Google is your friend... from a Line 6 forum:

Can I load third-party or my own custom IRs (Impulse Responses)?
      Yes. IRs are loaded into Helix via the Helix Mac/PC software. They will then be available from special IR blocks that can be placed anywhere on your signal paths. Helix can store up to 128 1024 or 2048-point IRs, and a preset can run up to four IRs simultaneously (DSP permitting).
      sigpic
      "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
      --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
      Originally posted by Lewguitar
      In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
        Google is your friend... from a Line 6 forum:
        Yeah, I ran across that, but I couldn't find anything that said whether or not a guy could have the IRs going to specific outputs. Oh well, I've been wanting one and my curiosity finally pushed me over the edge yesterday when I ordered it.

Thanks, though.

Comment

So the way I do that in my Helix is to have the chain of effects and your amp on Signal Path 1A. Then after all the effects and such, use a Y-Split, and let Signal Path 1A end going to the 1/4" out. On Signal Path 1B, you will end it going to the XLR out and you can add your IR there. I'm planning on making an IR of my cab, so that the signal coming in to FOH is the same as the sound that you get from the stage volume.
          Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
          Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
          Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
          Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
          Line 6 Helix
          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
            So the way I do that in my Helix is to have the chain of effects and your amp on Signal Path 1A. Then after all the effects and such, use a Y-Split, and let Signal Path 1A end going to the 1/4" out. On Signal Path 1B, you will end it going to the XLR out and you can add your IR there. I'm planning on making an IR of my cab, so that the signal coming in to FOH is the same as the sound that you get from the stage volume.
            Ok, that's what I was looking for. For some reason I couldn't find anything about whether or not you could name outputs.

I'll have to look into doing my own IRs as well, since I've stumbled upon a unique speaker combination that I really like, but no IRs exist for. My Splawn cab with Eminence Governor & Man O' War speakers, and my Avatar cab with Eminence Swamp Thang & Texas Heat speakers, together at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
              Ok, that's what I was looking for. For some reason I couldn't find anything about whether or not you could name outputs.

I'll have to look into doing my own IRs as well, since I've stumbled upon a unique speaker combination that I really like, but no IRs exist for. My Splawn cab with Eminence Governor & Man O' War speakers, and my Avatar cab with Eminence Swamp Thang & Texas Heat speakers, together at the same time.
              The cabs that come with the Helix sound really good, and I've found a pack of IR's that had around 150-200 different IR's for different albums, like Pantera's Vulgar, Periphery's first album, and a ton of others. I can send it to you, if you'd like.
              Line 6 Helix
              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

The cabs that come with the Helix sound really good, and I've found a pack of IR's that had around 150-200 different IR's for different albums, like Pantera's Vulgar, Periphery's first album, and a ton of others. I can send it to you, if you'd like.
                Thanks, I may take you up on that later on. Right now the hard drive is out on the laptop I use for music, and my other one isn't suitable (it's very basic and stripped down).

Comment

Thanks, I may take you up on that later on. Right now the hard drive is out on the laptop I use for music, and my other one isn't suitable (it's very basic and stripped down).
                  Oh no problem sir.
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

I know this is fairly easy to do in the Fractal AX8.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I know this is fairly easy to do in the Fractal AX8.
                      I think part of the problem with the Helix is that Line 6 added so many different routing options (I've been told Matt Bellamy was a huge influence with that). It's easy to make patches and dial things in, but when you want to get more creative with the routing options you have to mess with it a bit.
                      Line 6 Helix
                      Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

Their POD HD500 had a lot of routing options too. I just swore after I owned that for 5 years that I wouldn't buy another higher end unit from Line6. I still love their M series, though.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well, after going through the factory presets using headphones, I have to say that this thing blows my old POD XT, and Amp Farm out of the water. That indescribable tactile response that tube amps have seems to be there, which wasn't present with my previous experiences with Line6. But I feel that the IRs are the Achilles heel, they're not all that great IMHO. Which doesn't surprise me because I listened to some YouTube comparisons between the Line6 IRs and Ownhammer IRs, and, well, Ownhammer kicked Line6's ass. Later this afternoon I'm planning on trying it through my poweramp and into my cabs to verify my opinion of the IRs.

So as soon as I get my computer fixed, I'll probably take you up on the offer, Johnny the Kid, and I'll definitely be investing in some Ownhammer IRs.

Comment

Well, after going through the factory presets using headphones, I have to say that this thing blows my old POD XT, and Amp Farm out of the water. That indescribable tactile response that tube amps have seems to be there, which wasn't present with my previous experiences with Line6. But I feel that the IRs are the Achilles heel, they're not all that great IMHO. Which doesn't surprise me because I listened to some YouTube comparisons between the Line6 IRs and Ownhammer IRs, and, well, Ownhammer kicked Line6's ass. Later this afternoon I'm planning on trying it through my poweramp and into my cabs to verify my opinion of the IRs.

So as soon as I get my computer fixed, I'll probably take you up on the offer, Johnny the Kid, and I'll definitely be investing in some Ownhammer IRs.
                            There's tones of great sounds in the Helix. My Achilles heel right now is that the QSC power amp I got has the same weight as the center of a small star. Carvin makes a great power amp that weighs in at 4 lbs. I'll probably be returning mine and getting the Carvin which costs just $30 more.
                            Line 6 Helix
                            Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

There's tones of great sounds in the Helix. My Achilles heel right now is that the QSC power amp I got has the same weight as the center of a small star. Carvin makes a great power amp that weighs in at 4 lbs. I'll probably be returning mine and getting the Carvin which costs just $30 more.
                              Yep, it's a great unit. This afternoon when I tried it through my 4x12s, it was also the first time I tried out the Alesis poweramp I got in a trade with some other stuff. It sucks, lol. But when I tried the Helix through the power section of my Splawn, it was all good. So I either need to get one of those fancy Matrix poweramps or use this as an excuse to build a tube poweramp. :P Or maybe integrate it with my JVM......many wonderful options.

Comment

Working...
                              X