banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you assign cab IRs to outputs in a Line6 Helix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can you assign cab IRs to outputs in a Line6 Helix?

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
    Yep, it's a great unit. This afternoon when I tried it through my 4x12s, it was also the first time I tried out the Alesis poweramp I got in a trade with some other stuff. It sucks, lol. But when I tried the Helix through the power section of my Splawn, it was all good. So I either need to get one of those fancy Matrix poweramps or use this as an excuse to build a tube poweramp. :P Or maybe integrate it with my JVM......many wonderful options.
    Well it depends on how you use it. When I plugged in my Helix, I thought I could model the preamp and use the QSC for the power section. When I plugged it in and had no beef or sustain to my tone, I realized that the QSC only really amplifies the signal. It doesn't add the presence that a tube power amp would.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
      Well it depends on how you use it. When I plugged in my Helix, I thought I could model the preamp and use the QSC for the power section. When I plugged it in and had no beef or sustain to my tone, I realized that the QSC only really amplifies the signal. It doesn't add the presence that a tube power amp would.
      I was using the full amp (no cab models/IRs) models through the Alesis and preamp only models through the Splawn. If you Google reviews of Alesis poweramps, you'll find quite a bit of disdain for the brand.
      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I use my Fractal direct to a PA as well as in ear monitors...at home, through studio monitors. I don't bring a guitar cab to the gigs anymore.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I was using the full amp (no cab models/IRs) models through the Alesis and preamp only models through the Splawn. If you Google reviews of Alesis poweramps, you'll find quite a bit of disdain for the brand.
          Oh ok.
          Line 6 Helix
          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I use my Fractal direct to a PA as well as in ear monitors...at home, through studio monitors. I don't bring a guitar cab to the gigs anymore.
            I will go through the PA as well, but I also like the feel of an onstage cab. Periphery does the same thing. You can control feedback easier, people in the front row might now necessarily get to hear anything without some stage volume, and there's just a different vibe with an onstage cab, rather than just going direct. I think modeling preamps are great, but IME, I need a speaker cab with it.
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

I brought the Helix with me in the truck and have been playing it through the headphone out and into my truck's head unit front aux input, and I can see why some guys just go with a full range setup. It sounds great. But I would still want to have an actual guitar cab in a band situation. I've also figured out how use some of the routing options and other features, but I've only scratched the surface. This is turning out to be a good unit.

Comment

I brought the Helix with me in the truck and have been playing it through the headphone out and into my truck's head unit front aux input, and I can see why some guys just go with a full range setup. It sounds great. But I would still want to have an actual guitar cab in a band situation. I've also figured out how use some of the routing options and other features, but I've only scratched the surface. This is turning out to be a good unit.
                FRFR is a great choice for modeling gear and I was seriously considering it.
                Line 6 Helix
                Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

I use a FRFR system for my Fractal. I would think if you use any kind of amp or cab modeling with a regular guitar amp, it would sound terrible.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use a FRFR system for my Fractal. I would think if you use any kind of amp or cab modeling with a regular guitar amp, it would sound terrible.
                    Like Johnny said on the first page, it depends on how you use it. The preamp only models into the power section of an amp sound great, and that's where the 4CM comes in. When you do that, you literally put your amp's preamp in an effects loop, and in the case of units such as the Helix, TC Electronic G System, and any of the Axe FX units, you can omit your amp's preamp & replace it with a modeled preamp, or insert it anywhere in the signal chain.

And yeah, cab IRs through a regular guitar cab tend to sound muffled. But you don't have to use them. So......
                    Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 08-05-2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Yeah, if you model an amp and then send it into the front end of another amp, it'll sound terrible, but there are a lot of people who will send their modelers into the power amp and get great results. If you go this way though, just model preamps and no cab sims.
                      Line 6 Helix
                      Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

I'm really loving this thing. I went through the factory presets when I first got it and liked the synth stuff they had setup. So, last night I decided to mess around with them on my own. I ended up setting up a double pitch shift with one note a 5th up and the other an octave up with the mix set at 50%, a compressor in front to help the pitch shifter track better (an old but effective trick), with it all going into the 5150 model. Wow!!! That thing tracked notes flawlessly, provided it didn't ham fist any of them, and it even tracked power chords. I've never had a pitch effect that could do that. And it sounds great!

So, long story short, I ended up playing the main riff from Smoke on the Water for over a half hour with a huge grin on my face and named the patch "John Lord".
                        Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 08-11-2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I'm really loving this thing. I went through the factory presets when I first got it and liked the synth stuff they had setup. So, last night I decided to mess around with them on my own. I ended up setting up a double pitch shift with one note a 5th up and the other an octave up with the mix set at 50%, a compressor in front to help the pitch shifter track better (an old but effective trick), with it all going into the 5150 model. Wow!!! That thing tracked notes flawlessly, provided it didn't ham fist any of them, and it even tracked power chords. I've never had a pitch effect that could do that. And it sounds great!

So, long story short, I ended up playing the main riff from Smoke on the Water for over a half hour with a huge grin on my face and named the patch "John Lord".
                          Lol I love my Helix. I've always been inspired to play and I'll play anywhere from an hour to 2 hours a day, but with the Helix it's like i never want to turn it off.
                          Line 6 Helix
                          Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

Working...
                          X