Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Analog vs digital delay

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    Do they work any better in a loop that has a -6db pad available?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Don't know about the DD-3's or the DD models thereafter but, my DD-2 worked quite well in front of my Super Lead and JTM50 w/o loops as well as my THD Bivalve w/loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Southbound Suarez View Post
      I believe that I would prefer any pedal to be analog as opposed to digital. Tom Scholz would say it's the "digital artifacts" that drive him nuts. YET, here I am using a Boss DD-2 in the effects loop of my THD Bivalve, and it works quite well. Many claim that the DD-2 provides a clear yet warm tone due to the custom IC chip that was originally utilized in the Roland SDE-3000 (favored by Steve Vai) and later used in the DD-2 pedal.
      The DD-2 is clear because it's digital, and warm because it uses 12-bit converters which result in a lot of high end rolloff. That isn't to say that I have anything against the DD-2; it's actually my favorite delay pedal. I like to use mine in front of my Marshall along with a first revision DD-3 (with the same chip) with each set to a different delay time.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
        The DD-2 is clear because it's digital, and warm because it uses 12-bit converters which result in a lot of high end rolloff. That isn't to say that I have anything against the DD-2; it's actually my favorite delay pedal. I like to use mine in front of my Marshall along with a first revision DD-3 (with the same chip) with each set to a different delay time.
        Mine works well in front of my 74' to 68' 12K spec'd Marshall Super Lead but, I don't dare go beyond an OD like my Keeley/Boss BD-2-->Boss DD-2 because I don't wish to muck up the signal any more than necessary.

Comment

I've always thought it would be cool if a pedal had a digital delay and an analog delay together tied to the same time, with a mix knob to control how much of each delay you want in the sound.

Comment

I just use whatever I like at that moment. I think right now I'm using a Tape echo emulation on my Helix. I used to use the Memory Man one on my POD. Everyone likes different stuff.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

But really, the right answer is...one of each!
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
                I've always thought it would be cool if a pedal had a digital delay and an analog delay together tied to the same time, with a mix knob to control how much of each delay you want in the sound.
                The TC Nova has a knob that blends from digital at one end through analogue to tape at the other end.
                Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Analog delays are much better for dialing in reverb sounds.
                  Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I always think that digital are more 'useful' in more circumstances. Analog delays you get repeats which get warmer and mushier as they degrade, but with a digital pedal they simply reduce in volume OR filter off some of their high end meaning that they don't change your sound at all. This allows a digital delay to sit perfectly underneath your notes (because it is just YOUR sound repeated, not effected) and not stand out, while still having the crispness and clarity to do cool rhythmic stuff too.

In terms of doing slapback or room style reverb sounds I also find that digital delays like the DD-3 do a much more 'accurate' sound. I love the sound of analog delays, they are warm, lush and beautiful, but if I had to pick only one small delay unit for 90% of my gigs it'd probably be a digital styled one.

Fortunately in the modern age we don't really have to make choices like that. We have powerful digital delay units which can simulate the tones of tape, analog, digital and more. You can get a pedal which has the filtering and headroom of a tape delay but with the turn of a few knobs you can still have digital styled bright, accurate and unmodulated repeats. My Source Audio Nemesis has replaced all of the analog delays on my board because you get all of the darkness and subtle modulation of my favourite analog delays but with tap tempo and the ability to control the headroom and brightness of the bucket brigade delay.
                    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                    Andrew - None

Comment

After spending much time listening and evaluating, I concluded that both analog and digital delays have certain pros over the other. Therefore having both is the best option.

A sales person at Sweetwater told me the Strymon Timeline is the best pedal that provides superior sound for analog and digital. After testing this unit out, I found myself preferring the Vapor Trails over the bucket setting on the Strymon. Emulations are emulations, and there is a tonality difference that I just prefer with the Vapor Trails.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                        The TC Nova has a knob that blends from digital at one end through analogue to tape at the other end.
                        I never used it but that was the SD predecesor of the VT, I think it was called the DejaVoo? Maybe you can just buy one digital delay and one analog delay, put one on the L singnal chain of the L channel and the other on the signal chain of the R channel.
                        Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                        X