OD Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OD Recommendation

In the OP's position, I would take the amp to a music store that carries many pedals in order to specifically try them out on his particular amp (unless they already have an amp just like his). That's the only way to know for sure and not waste any more money, time, or effort in the process.

Comment

Also bear in mind that if you get a pedal such as a Bogner Ecstasy Red, or one of the AMT distortion pedals, or any similar pedals, you may have to run it into the effects return of the amp. Because some amps don't get along at all with those pedals going into the guitar input.
      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I've been reading and checking out all your recommendations. With the blue mods and the Hellatone, I'm pretty close. I think with a transparent OD i can get to a decent spot. If not I'll pick up a MZ-2 (HAHA) until I get a more metal friendly amp.

I appreciate all of the info you guys provided.
        Rivera M100 1x12 Combo
        S101 Les Paul '59/Invader
        Ibanez Art300 w/ Blackouts
        EHX Metal Muff

Comment

I too have a classic 30. what benefit/changes did you get with the blue mods? I have both an ocd and green rhino and neither will push that amp to metal territory. Classic rock to hard rock perhaps.. FWIW, I have an Eminence Private Jack in mine..
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I'm not sure yet, I havn't cracked her open. I got it that way but the obvious is the Hellatone 30 speaker. I'll get back to you when I do find out all the mods.
            Rivera M100 1x12 Combo
            EHX Metal Muff

Comment

You may not have to spend any money. With money being tight these days, more people on Craigslist are open to trades.

At first, I was going to rattle off a bunch of distortion/OD pedals, but I think you'll be chasing your tail going that route. You have a blues amp, and want a metal amp. Create a Craigslist ad, specifically asking for a trade deal for a metal amp like a 5150, Jet City, Blackstar, Marshall, Valvetronix, Line 6, etc. Keep running the ad until the right person responds with a deal you're into.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Alvin has a Greer Amps Little Samson for sale that may get you to the classic metal range. It'd be worth a look.
                Last edited by jtougas; 08-15-2016, 03:22 PM.
                "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

OD Recommendation

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                  At first, I was going to rattle off a bunch of distortion/OD pedals, but I think you'll be chasing your tail going that route. You have a blues amp, and want a metal amp. Create a Craigslist ad, specifically asking for a trade deal for a metal amp like a 5150, Jet City, Blackstar, Marshall, Valvetronix, Line 6, etc. Keep running the ad until the right person responds with a deal you're into.
                  +1

This pretty much sums it up. However, if that's not an option, here are some pedals:

Budget: AMT Pedal (depends on what amp you're looking for)
                  Wiggle room: Bogner Uberscall
                  Funds are no prob: ISP Theta (has a built in decimator)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 08-15-2016, 09:16 PM.

Comment

That's one thing you all need to keep in mind too. His amp isn't stock.. Im not sure how much more beef he has, but he did say with the mods, he is close.. Yeah, a stock PV 30 is good for classic rock at best..

Gone Shootin, can you run a gain pedal in the loop? I always heard that was a no no.. Not saying Im right, just what Ive been told.. Always happy to learn something new!
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                      That's one thing you all need to keep in mind too. His amp isn't stock.. Im not sure how much more beef he has, but he did say with the mods, he is close.. Yeah, a stock PV 30 is good for classic rock at best..

Gone Shootin, can you run a gain pedal in the loop? I always heard that was a no no.. Not saying Im right, just what Ive been told.. Always happy to learn something new!
                      No, you don't run it in the loop in a traditional sense. You plug the guitar into the input of the pedal and run the output of the preamp pedal into the amp's loop return. This bypasses the amp's preamp.
                      Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 08-19-2016, 03:02 AM.
                      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Yeah, don't run a gain pedal in the loop. It won't sound good, and it could actually do some damage depending on the amp. The loop is for lower level signals, and time-based effects (delay, chorus, etc).
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Yeah, don't run a gain pedal in the loop. It won't sound good, and it could actually do some damage depending on the amp. The loop is for lower level signals, and time-based effects (delay, chorus, etc).
                          You have the level thing backwards, most loops are line level which is much higher than instrument level, although a lot have switchable levels or pots to control the level. Line level is probably not high enough to damage pedals that are only designed for instrument levels (like Boss single pedals), but it sound really bad because it will cause the circuit to clip in ways it's not supposed to even when they are off if they are buffered.

But yeah, don't run gain pedals in the loop like you would a delay or something. The Palladium, AMT pedals, or other "preamp" style pedals, you can run in place of the amp's preamp. You plug into the pedal, then run the output of the pedal into the effects return on the amp bypassing the amp's preamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                            No, you don't run it in the loop in a traditional sense. You plug the guitar into the input of the pedal and run the output of the preamp pedal into the amp's loop return. This bypasses the amp's preamp.
                            Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            That's what I thought Mincer, that's why I was asking. Thanks for clarifying gone shootin!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Actually ended up going with the Metal Muff. Smart choice this thing works well. Picked it up used for 60 bucks. It will certainly do the trick until I get a more suitable amp but then again IDK. I get a pretty full range from the C-30 and the muff w/ boost.
                              Rivera M100 1x12 Combo
                              EHX Metal Muff

Comment

Working...
                              X