Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me find smooth, creamy sustaining notes with a crunchy amp

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    I LOVE the sound of my amp & cab, which I have been playing since around 1988 or so. I do not want to change anything about my base rhythm sound, which is what I play 99% of the time. If I were a blues rock screaming lead player like winters I would use a very different setup, but I'm not. I just want to push into a smooth, creamy sustain lead sound for 30 seconds of one or two songs.
    I'm done

Comment

I know no one is biting their nails waiting to find out what happens next (especially Southbound Suarez) but Ima update y'all anyway:
      The more I thought about it the more I realized the TS-based handbuilt I have is almost what I want except for the base cut. So I did some internet searching and figured out how to mod it. Added a .22uF capacitor ($2 at local Radio Shack) in parallel with the .22 it already had on the output circuit, wired with a mini toggle switch I already had, and now at the flick of a switch I can add a ton o'bass and get really smooth and creamy.
      This may sound like I ignored everyone's suggestions but it was actually the whole discussion about mid hump vs. bass bump that got me really thinking about what was missing in my overdrive. Thanks!

Comment

Dude! Grats!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

lol nice, pedal modding is nice and clever but having a pedal only for the smooth creamy sound is always a good thing

Comment

Don't do the smooth creamy too often. I like a lot of chunk and sizzle. But all of my guitars have a tone knob. Most of them with a 0.047 Orange Drop. Picked up a 5 pack one day in the discount bin @GC.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

That's Awesome!! Glad you got what you needed and it is especially cool you were able to make it!
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                That's Awesome!! Glad you got what you needed and it is especially cool you were able to make it!
                Oh, just to clarify, I did NOT build the overdrive, I bought it from the guy who built it. I just soldered in two capacitors, two wires, and a toggle switch. I just never realized how much you can change the character of a pedal with just one little change or addition.

Comment

The caps and resistors are pretty much what set the character, they are what does all the signal limiting, tone manipulation, and frequency dependent gain.

Comment

Working...
                  X