banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I lube a working but squeaky switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I lube a working but squeaky switch?

I did a quick Google search before posting but it was all about cleaning foot switches. Mine does not need cleaned, it works just fine but it makes a kind of creaky sound. Would a tiny drop of light oil potentially ruin an otherwise perfectly good switch?
    If it makes any difference, it is a "silent" switch (irony alert!) that does not click. I assume it triggers a relay or something.

It's in my old Tech 21 Boost DLA. The sound is purely mechanical - it is not audible through the amp or anything - but it sounds like it could seize or otherwise fail if I just keep stepping on it. I have a Boost RVB about the same age and it does not make this noise. I just don't want to ruin the switch by oiling it if that's a bad idea. (I have never had a noisy but working switch in all my years of playing so it's new territory for me.)

Re: What can I lube a working but squeaky switch?

Contact cleaner or WD40 will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Contact cleaner and lubricant or something like a fader lubricant would work. I think the lubricant is usually just a light mineral oil. Deoxit D5 would work as well. Contact cleaner by itself is usually drying so that wont do you much good. CRC makes a general purpose spray lubricant that is made for electric/electronic use and has a light lubricant. As mentioned by VinceT, I would think that a small shot of WD40 would be fine as well. I don't know if any of them will keep the squeak away for a long time though. They are all very light lubricants. The noise is probably just from metal/metal rubbing. I wouldn't expect it to be a sign of impending failure, especially in a soft switch.

Comment

Thanks! I have several light lubricants around (I'm a car guy), including WD-40. I was just afraid it would ruin the switch or something and I didn't want to buy a specialized product just to use such a tiny amount.
        I used to have a can of electrical contact cleaner/lubricant years ago but can't find it. Probably left it behind the last time I moved.

Comment

Working...
        X