where do you place a EQ in the chain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where do you place a EQ in the chain.

i was just wondering do you put the eq pedal before a distortion/OD pedal or after or in the effects loop?
    Guitars:
    Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
    PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
    ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
    Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
    Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
    Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
    Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
    Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
    Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Re: where do you place a EQ in the chain.

Depends. EQ before wil shape the feel more than anything. EQ after more effectively shapes the entire sound. Generally, people put them after.

Comment

Both Brian Wampler and That Pedal Show have done YouTube videos on this topic. Great resources.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Guitars:

Comment

I know some EQ pedal generate noise or hiss so would it be a good idea to put it in the send and chain chain of my noise gate after my distortion?

Guitars:

Comment

EQ into a drive is one of many uses. I used it for about a week after watching the videos above. In the end though I want as few variables, dependencies in my setup as possible so I stopped using it. I find getting the right amp, pickup choices and settings and heights gives me the overall setup. If you are trying to recreate the sounds of many different songs EQ can be quite useful. Used in that way, placing it later in the path will be the most flexible.

Comment

I used to use one of the old blue MXR 10-band EQs with my SUNN Solos II. No footswitch on this EQ. I used it last in the chain. Set it on top of the amp with a one-foot cord to the input. Seemed to work better there than in the loop, warmed up the amp; gave it more of a tube-like tone.

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Effective placement of the EQ depends on what you intend to use the EQ for. You can't generally use it for multiple purposes without moving it around n the chain.
                  Originally posted by Brown Note
                  I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                  My Blog

Comment

I put my eq in the effects loop. I crank my master volume on my head up anywhere between 6 and 9 o'clock. Set the gain where I want it depending on my mood. I also have a tube screamer up front with the crunch set between 2 and 5 again depending on my mood. The level on my tube screamer set to 5 o'clock. I'll use the eq as my main volume control also allows me to tweak my sound without losing my heads original beefiness. Cranking the volume gets my tubes hot so I can get the full benefits of my head at bedroom levels. I don't have a noise gate so putting my eq up front just creates too much extra noise for my taste
                    Last edited by Nubie/threddawg; 06-18-2017, 11:01 PM.

Comment

helpful videos! been wondering this myself.

Comment

Typically in front of the amp with a frown curve (no dist/od) to boost the preamp section of a tube amp. Usually a 6-band stomp here, sometimes 10 band stomp.

Sometimes a second EQ is used if slaving, before the 2nd/power amp, to fine tune the tone. Always a 10-band stomp or rackmount 2/3rds-octave EQ here.

Comment

Originally posted by 6stringerguy View Post
                          I know some EQ pedal generate noise or hiss
                          Impedance mismatch; the input of the EQ pedal needs a stronger signal.

You need to place a buffer before the EQ pedal to tame the hiss (raise the SnR) of your typical EQ stomp.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

You need to place a buffer before the EQ pedal to tame the hiss (raise the SnR) of your typical EQ stomp.
                            Finally!
                            That explains why my GE7 is really quiet in my Tweaker; it has a super hot FX loop that will drive analog pedals into saturation.
                            I've read so many complaints on how noisy the GE7 is, and mine doesn't add any hiss even with tons of boost.

And answering the OP: LOOP!

By far the best use for it IMO, since you can adjust things way beyond what the amplifier offers, and in a much "cleaner" way since some amps have EQ parameters before the drive section and such.
                            EQ in the loop acts much more like "Studio" EQ so to speak; it mostly doesn't alter the amp's breakup or response, while the onboard EQ in an amp can really change it's feel.
                            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

I'm using a MXR 10 band in the loop so I can go from my mid boosted tone to a scooped tone since my amp has a shared EQ

Guitars:

Comment

Working...
                              X