banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garage Rock tone . . . what would you use ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Garage Rock tone . . . what would you use ?

For authentic garage tone, you can't use an electronic opener, in my opinion….
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
      Thanks and before I get sidetracked. The Sonics recent album is unfrigginbelieveablesuperclalfragalistical Garage Rockin'.

Yes Crusty the tone is in the garage especially if stuff gets moved around, you can't believe how much the sound changes when you move the Chevy (or the ute).

So I love my amp setup, does everything I ask of it, easily. Granted I am not exceptionally versatile but it is darn near perfect for me. As for the guitars I could probably play near anything, it's just the stuff I like. My buddy on the other hand is sort of always fighting his sound but since he got the Orange I think he is a lot more locked in. He's used to a lot more FX in the mix than I am and while he can play most stuff you throw at him he'd be more comfortable playing U2 style stuff I am sure.

I use the B9 for some bit parts and to change up some of the background stuff when I am not the lead. I am the lead singer too so I don't mess around with the pedals quite as much. His C9 gets a lot more use but he is also our stunt guitarist lol. I can't recall other than comparing sounds, using them at the same time, I can't see a reason that you couldn't if there was a part for it.

As for the recording I am pretty happy with it but I kind of think it is a little too "nice" sounding. We just cranked the stuff out and I wish I had dialed in a nastier fuzz tone as opposed to just just running straight in on that one. One of the things I really love about Garage stuff is, like a lot of great Punk-y stuff, you tend to cut out a lot of the fluff. I like the rawness and the simplicity of most of it.

There are so many great songs and killer bands that fall under the banner of Garage Rock. Explore man explore!!!
      That is a BOG thing i do not like about most music these days.

EVERYTHING sounds sooo polished and studio-perfect.

I love the unrefined rough-N-gritty tone of the first four albums of both the White Stripes & Black Keys, and the albums ALL of Left Lane Cruiser and Stoner Train.
      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Peavey Bandit, boss DS1, a $300 guitar with P90s, a cheap (CHEAP) cable, picks twice heavier than what I normally use, and tune the high E ever so slightly flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Firebrand View Post
          Peavey Bandit, boss DS1, a $300 guitar with P90s, a cheap (CHEAP) cable, picks twice heavier than what I normally use, and tune the high E ever so slightly flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          [/End Thread]

LMAO - the most accurate statement in the whole third!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

66 Jazzmaster, 69 Bassman, 70s Sunn 2x15, and one of my 7 fuzz boxes. Psychedelic baby.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
              I had a Blues Jr (1st gen) did not like it one bit.
              Maybe with a very diff speaker . . . who knows.

The smallest i have now, is a 5 watt Marshall Class 5.
              Great for living room jams wit friends on a Saturday afternoon.

There are sooo many low watt amps that i am GAS'ing for, it is not funny.
              Some that come to mind : Tungsten Mosaic, Tungsten Cortez, various Swart models, vintage 5E3 models, vintage Gibsons you name 'em i would love one of each.
              You may be overthinking this - I used to get a great trashy garage tone out of a '60s solid state thing with built-in reverb and tremelo but no master volume. I think the key is to overwhelm the speaker? Go plug into some cheap, small amps at a shop somewhere and you might be surprised. My friend had a little Peavey that gave up a great sustaining fuzz tone when dimed as long as you plugged in something with medium-high output pickups. I think it had a 6 or maybe 8 inch speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                I always thought basement rock was a bit more underground.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
                If it gets any further underground it would be coffin rock or bedrock. Bwahaha.

Comment

Working...
                X