• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can get this tone ?

Referring to the intro guitar part.

(asking for someone else)

Boss DS-1 ?
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: What can get this tone ?

The DS-1 is a fine choice. I would pick any of the following 5 & blend with amp distortion:

1. Boss DS-1
    2. RAT
    3. Boss PW-2
    4. EHx Big Muff Pi
    5. Boss DS-2

Kurt & Krist were known to trade pedals back & forth for distorted guitar & bass tones- all of these listed, except the PW-2.
    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I think Kurt used a DS-1, not sure what amp though.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        I think Kurt used a DS-1, not sure what amp though.

I think he used a mixed bag of Fender & Marshall . . . but not 100% sure.
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

On stage he used Crown power amps through Mesa & Marshall cabs, with a Tech 21 SansAmp modeling stompbox as a preamp & distortion. In the studio, he used a mix bag of Vox and Fender blackface & tweed combo amps.
          Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

So... you're saying I can get that tone with my DS-1?

*frantically searching for that distintive orange color across my room*

Comment

I feel emotionally tied to this question because it's about Nirvana. Here goes:

1. Apparently, Kurt got the tone on this track by plugging directly into the studio's mixing board.

2. It sounds most like a Metal Muff to me.

3. If I was looking for that sound, I would grab any distortion pedal (DS-1 or DS-2) & get the scratchy tone from the amp.
              Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

A DS-2 Turbo will get you there easier.

Last edited by Van Noord; 09-18-2016, 07:41 PM.
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

The Nevermind album is full of studio polish so there's no easy answer to this question but to get 75% of the way to Curdt's tone you just need a clean (preferably tube) amp and a cranked DS-1.

His tone isn't "good" which is why it suits his style. You can play punk on any piece of junk.
                  green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

According to Butch Vig on the Nevermind behind the scenes, Kurt tracked using a Mesa (they didn't say what kind but probably a Mark something like a IIC+ or a III) '59 Bassman cranked and sometimes hit with a DS-1. In some songs like Drain You, they would track up to 10 guitars at once but not on every song.

To my ear, that sounds like one of the boosted bassman tracks.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Working...
                    X