Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Friedman BE OD

I totally agree.

I spent a week with the BE-OD. I was expecting awesome-ness based on all the reviews. I tried it on my board with a Rivera Quiana, a Boogie Mark II and even a BJ. Initially I really wasn't that impressed. Even turning the internal trim pot down to 8am (from its default of 12noon) it was overly compressed, mushy and an annoying multi-millisecond latency. I was about to send it back. Boosting the bass on my JRockett Animal (with snarl switch engaged) got a similar and more 'airy' sound (if you know what I mean for an OD). Someone yesterday suggested running it through the effects loop return. I tried last night and its a huge difference. Sounded 100% better. The mush and overdone compression was gone and it sounded more like I expected. I didn't expect an OD to sound better through the loop instead of in-front (unlike some reverb/delays), so it was quite surprising to me.

Of course this makes my rig more complicated than I wanted (some pedals on my board would go thru the front of the amp and some others thru the loop).

I think there was a bit of 'bubble' around this pedal recently. Its a very good pedal thru the fx loop for higher-gain stuff or for certain leads. Its not a general-purpose OD by any stretch.

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
    It's decent. I like it better than the DLS MKIII, but not as much as the Bogner Blue or the Plextortion, or Distortron.

I have spent six hours with the BE, through three amps, run into all manner of clean, barely crunchy, mildly crunchy or used as a moderate boost. LOUD to low bedroom volumes.

Not feeling the love or getting the hype.

Even with the internal trim pot backed all the way off, its got too much gain to do an old marshall crunchy sound. Its got an unatural haze/muddiness over the midrange no matter what settings you use, and especially kills something off in the high midrange. It doesn't clean up all that well with the volume pot, and kills off some natural sustain until you get the gain up beyond 9 oclock. At which point, my volume and tone controls are pretty much worthless except as on/off switches. It also flat out made a couple of my pedals (phase and chorus) sound like @$$.

Even through the very fenderish clean green on my dsl, it didn't "take".

It does have a very tube like warmth..the warm fizzies...kinda like my OR15 has. More warm/tubey than the catalinbread dls or bogner blue

Sounds decent if you are playing mostly single note high gain lead work and heavy distorted power chords. (Cowboy/complex chords kind of smear into a muddy mess).

The controls are very interactive and I was able to dial in my DSL, OR15 and even my little Blackstar to get the EQ where it needed to be for each amp.

Im just a tube snob I guess. Id rather have the amp do the work and hit it with a pedal if need be. Much more natural sounding and dynamic.
    Last edited by fgreco; 01-24-2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Interesting! I didnt think you were supposed to run OD pedals thru the loop..???

I am guessing that this pedal wasnt meant to be a versatile od pedal. Im pretty sure that its sole purpose is to simulate the gooey BE tone without the BE price.. Id like to try one just for that.. But... reading all the reviews, Id be worried I wouldnt be able to find the tone with it and be disappointed.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Is it being run through the loop with input coming from the effects send? Or is it being run into the effects return with the guitar going into the pedal's input, bypassing the amp's preamp?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Is it being run through the loop with input coming from the effects send? Or is it being run into the effects return with the guitar going into the pedal's input, bypassing the amp's preamp?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
          The latter. Running the pedal as the pre-amp and using the amp's power section.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
          X