Leslie sim recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leslie sim recommendations?

My Elkatone 700 decided to die on me, so I need a Leslie simulator. Any recommendations? It must have both a great clean and distortion sound. I'm a rock organist so it must do well under high gain in FOH monitors.
    Gear
    Organs: 1972-73 Conn 632 "Serenade" analog theater organ, 1967 Hammond H-111 (not sounding but working), '72 Hammond T-524 + my '71 Hammond L-112 across the country.
    Synths: Roland D-20, Kawai K11, Yamaha QS300
    Leslie Cabinets: 1975 Leslie 825 and 1974 Leslie 705.
    Guitars: Monterey Stage Series bitsa, 1991 Charvel CX-291 bitsa, 70s Hondo acoustic and a ton of parts.
    Pedalboard: Home made DJ case thing conversion with a lot of budget pedals on it.
    Amps: Fender Sidekick Reverb 35

Re: Leslie sim recommendations?

What died in the Elkatone ?
    sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

It's larger than most pedals, isn't cheep and can be a little noisy but I have yet to find anything I like better than a Rotosphere except a real Leslie.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I need to find someone unloading a Rotosphere after they bought a newer sim.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          I need to find someone unloading a Rotosphere after they bought a newer sim.
          Yeah you do!

I actually never wanted a Leslie sim but ended up buying my dad one as a gift...tried several and just kept coming back to the Roto. Once I gave it to him I found myself missing it so much that I bought another one for me!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

+1^
            Someone tried to unload a Strymon on me the other day....
            It was so small and flat sounding that I almost could not belive it!
            On the other hand that old Rotosphere is just hugesounding next to about everything out there right now!

Comment

i love my rotosphere! using two amps makes it sound even better. i use two 1x12 fenders one on top of the other and it makes me smile every time. until i have to load it out at the end of the night after the gig

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                i love my rotosphere! using two amps makes it sound even better. i use two 1x12 fenders one on top of the other and it makes me smile every time. until i have to load it out at the end of the night after the gig
                Good tone is worth a little extra work!

I use it in stereo quite a bit, it really shines like that but its good even in mono.

Comment

IIRC aren't there 2 versions of the Roto? Do they sound much different?

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
                    IIRC aren't there 2 versions of the Roto? Do they sound much different?
                    There are some cosmetic differences and I have heard that the MK II has internal trimmers to adjust the SLOW and FAST speeds, that said I have never felt that they needed to be changed as the factory settings sound very close to the 2 speeds from a real Leslie cab.

I guess the big difference is in the breaker switch...on the MK I if you want to "stop the rotors from spinning" you have to hold the breaker switch down and when you left your foot off it "starts back spinning"...on the MK II you stomp it to slow down to a stop then stomp again to re start...

I have heard folks swear up and down that the MK I sounds richer, fuller, smoother, more organic, fatter, more lush and all sorts of other BS buzz words...I'd guess the feelings that the earlier version is in some way better is fueled by the simple fact that it's no longer made.

Comment

Thanks for that info. I have my eye on one at the moment and it is a MK1.

Comment

my buddy has a mk1 and i have a mk2. there may be a difference but its so damn small neither of us can really tell. especially if you start tube swapping (which has a minimal but noticeable effect over all) the 2 has trimmers to adjust the fast speed of both the high and low rotors and the trimmers are accessible from the outside of the unit with a small philips screwdriver. there are trim pots inside but i havent messed with them in so long i couldnt tell ya what they do

Comment

Thanks Jeremy that's good to know.

Comment

i bought my 2 new but if i had to do it over again, id grab whichever one i found the best deal on. the tones of the 1 or 2 are both great

Comment

I'll let you guys know if I get it!

Comment

Working...
                              X