All Things Delay Question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Things Delay Question....

Hello all. Is this a good place to discuss Delay? I am kinda green using delay and I was wondering where there was a forum or discussion where Delay was the main topic. Anyone? Thanks.

Re: All Things Delay Question....

This forum is not one that has rules like "all discussion of topic X shall be in topic X, and if you don't comply your post will be deleted". Definitely the right place...

The one tip I like to give Delay newbies is to start with the mix knob off, then slowly mix in the repeats. I always started with it too high, I'd play a few rhythmic things then say "this is dumb" and turn it off. With lower mix and repeats it's an effect I have on more often than off now.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Lots of pedal freaks here; excellent place to discuss delay.
      I love digital delay!
      Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just get a Boss DD-3 or an MXR Carbon Copy, then have at it.

Not that hard.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I love delay, and use really long ones (10+ seconds) as well as short ones (less than 500ms- the Vapor Trail does this). What do you wanna know?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

delay is a wonderful effect but you can use it lots of different ways. adding texture to ambient passages, fattening a solo, quick slap back to get a 50's rockabilly feel, playing harmony licks over yourself... my big board i have two analog delays. one is used primarily for solos. the other is tap tempo. between those two it gives me plenty to mess with. digital delays tend to be cleaner, clearer and have longer delay times. analog tend to be darker and can introduce modulation which can be fun but can also be over done depending on how its used

Comment

So I was a little
                ...delayed...
                Welcome!
                Lay some questions on us!
                What are you wanting to achieve with a delay pedal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow...thanks for replies. I guess I came to the right place!

Comment

Okay - now for real settings:

***These vary widely based on the delay's time range or settings

Delay short (maybe 10 o'clock)
                    Feedback - a few 9-10 o'clock
                    Level - 10-11 o'clock
                    * Metallic reverb sort of sound

Delay medium (maybe 12 o'clock)
                    Feedback - 0 - set to minimum (1 feedback note)
                    Level - 2 o'clock
                    * Slap back

Delay ~ 320 milliseconds
                    Feedback 3-5
                    Level - 12-3p
                    *Def Lep Hysteria
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

My slapback sound is usually just about the same volume as the dry note.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for those settings, Ace. My question is revolving around multiple delays and how to use them. I have an old Roland GP-8, and I still love it...especially the digital delay. I am also wanting to pair it with an analog delay, but I am not sure how to use it. I have an 80s Rockman Stereo Echo, but havent ran it into the front of my amp yet. It maxes at 300 on one side, and 500 on the other. One of the delay sides has a weird immediate slap back that's not the same time as the rest of the repeats. Kind of a thunk-thunk...thunk...thunk...thunk. I like it, but as I said, I don't have much experience with delay. Thanks.

Comment

I have a 'Pre Delay' control in my effect. Anybody knows what this does?

Comment

Pre Delay as used in Reverb delays the onset of the reverb effect. At minimum the reverb begins immediately, at maximum it's like a large hall where the sound has to hit the back wall before it starts to reverberate.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by revolution View Post
                              Thanks for those settings, Ace. My question is revolving around multiple delays and how to use them. I have an old Roland GP-8, and I still love it...especially the digital delay. I am also wanting to pair it with an analog delay, but I am not sure how to use it. I have an 80s Rockman Stereo Echo, but havent ran it into the front of my amp yet. It maxes at 300 on one side, and 500 on the other. One of the delay sides has a weird immediate slap back that's not the same time as the rest of the repeats. Kind of a thunk-thunk...thunk...thunk...thunk. I like it, but as I said, I don't have much experience with delay. Thanks.
                              I like to use the Analog to "fatten" the base tone (kind of like a slap back) then run a digital or tape sim around that 320ms - 370ms time. Everyone from Gilmour to The Edge has used sounds like that, and you can see Ace's example too. (You can use them independently or together)
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X