banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

don't use pedals very much but found a gizmo that gives me sweet tube tone/overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• don't use pedals very much but found a gizmo that gives me sweet tube tone/overdrive

Bought this little 12AX7 preamp that I can put in front of a solid state amp and get some delightful tubey tones. has adjustable gain that I am having a good old time playing with:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20161228_19_05_40_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	5842812

Will get a little more familiarized with it an send along sound clip.

Re: don't use pedals very much but found a gizmo that gives me sweet tube tone/overdr

Cool. Sometimes a single dirt box is all that's necessary to get there.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Re: don't use pedals very much but found a gizmo that gives me sweet tube tone/overdr

what is it?

Comment

Yeah, I'd be interested to see the rest of it. Is it . I wonder how much voltage the tube sees.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would guess it's running in starved mode, don't really see anything in there that would suggest high voltage, including a lack of ventilation.

Comment

i assumed as much as well

Comment

Would be nice to know what it is.

Comment

I heard Brian Wampler taking about how lots of pedals with tubes don't really utilize the tube like an amp would. Is this what you guys are implying?
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

^^
                  Yes.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    Would be nice to know what it is.
                    it is single channel, single stage, all tube preamp features an adjustable 100v-250v power supply that runs from a 12 volt DC source and a simple, stable design:
                    Improvements In staging, imaging and noise floor (Dead silent operation)
                    High gain bypassed operation.
                    Adjustable 100v-250v B+ voltage from a 11.5vdc-14.4vdc power source.
                    1 gain potentiometer FR 10Hz-100KHz@ +_1 db Noise: .003vrms
                    Input impedance: 24k Output impedance: 580ohm
                    Sensitivity (Max input before clipping @1khz): 5vpp - 1.77vrms
                    Produces gain way past that point.

Not a starved tube, just a preamp that overdrives the front end of my 8020. Put it into a power amp and couldn't overdrive with Gus G's through an SFX-01.

Comment

Cool, like I said, I was guessing. So you can adjust the B+ for different amounts of dirt/gain, pretty cool. Is this a custom design of yours or something that is on the market?

I didn't follow your last sentence though, not sure what you were trying to say about Gus G and a SFX-01???

Comment

Nice!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice. The components at the upper left look like the charge pump.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                            Cool, like I said, I was guessing. So you can adjust the B+ for different amounts of dirt/gain, pretty cool. Is this a custom design of yours or something that is on the market?

I didn't follow your last sentence though, not sure what you were trying to say about Gus G and a SFX-01???
                            Found a guy that specializes in preamps for high quality audio and asked him if he could build me a preamp for a hybrid amp I am putting together...this is what he came up with. It's great for the overdrive playing around been doing but doesn't have the output need for the hybrid...he emailed me a fix, will incorporate tomorrow and see...

The Gus G and p'up booster thing was to see if I could overdrive the preamp, like a headroom test...haven't found the ceiling yet.

It is a very cool gizmo.

Comment

I like cool things like this. I never would have thought of it. Kind of like Blackmore's AIWA tape deck as a preamp, or Steve Howe's Echoplex Groupmaster as one.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X